RPG builder kit thingy in basic

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

RPG builder kit thingy in basic

Post by ISUCK »

I've been working on this for quite a while. Basically just some modules that do certain things (text display, map making and engine and battles and stuff). I was gonna just release it but it seems Daniel Thornycroft already released one to ticalc so I just wanna clarify that I didn't steal his ideas cause I never actually even heard of anyone doing this before.

So... Basically it's in basic, and modifieable modules that allow you to make your own RPG game... I'll still have to write some documents and stuff on how to work it, but it should be fairly easy to work with.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Nice. I've heard about TI-Freak8x (Daniel) RPG starter kit and I reminded him about word wrap on the homescreen, but it's nice if you can make a new one with some battle engine code alerady done so people can look at the code and easily start out BASIC programming.
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

Not a lot of replies eh? :?

Oh well, I did some work on it today. Changing the map loading from matrices to strings... although for some reason I think strings are slower :( ... Oh well it saves space, and I'll get to optimization later.

Here are my current progress reports things... I'll try to get some screenshots if anyone wants them...

Battle system (customizable ascii enemy graphics as well as stats): 100%
Movement (just walkign around and stuff and rooms): 98%
Menu System (Gonna make it prettier): 99%
Title Screen Stuff (basicy too): 98%
Hit Detection (going at a to string transition): 50%
Optimization: 10%
Documentation: 0% :twisted:
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

can you get it to look as good as kevin's stuff?
bananas... o.o
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

ISUCK wrote:Not a lot of replies eh? :?
Eh, don't feel bad about it. No one really gives a crap about my Blue World - Quest, either XD
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

The reason why nobody replies is because it use ASCII characters (very old flame from the "Homescreen Liberation Front" follows) and maxcoderz members play games only for graphics. They cannot (or don't want to)understand that we can do a pretty decent job with ASCII (hint: Dwedit BASIC Ice Climber). I think it's a good idea to make a RPG maker for basic programmers
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

I think it's that plus people seem to want their GB on their calc. Otherwise Metroid, Mario, Zelda, etc wouldn't be so popular...but, meh, that's just my take on it
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

@vahnRPG: Hey, I do! >:O I just need to beat that mts quest game first before I can give a lot of input. I think the main reason why people don't respond much is because the game is so big.I think it's a great game.

Back on topic, I think this can turn out very well. Just make it so there are a lot of options and a good feature to have is to allow for the user to put in a bit of his own code too. Don't make it so that all games made with it will be the same except for the storyline and the sprites. Have it so people can define what each thing will do on there own(for puzzle stuff like pick up this rock and move it over there causes whatchamacallit to happen). So anyway, it needs to be versatile. That's what I'm saying.
bananas... o.o
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Post by the_unknown_one »

I think both MtsQuest and Blue World: Quest rock! :lol:
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

Ok well I'm still going to post news...

Everything is done. I'm just making a small demonstration game and then I'll work on reconfiguring the engine and working on documentaion
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

ISUCK wrote:Ok well I'm still going to post news...

Everything is done. I'm just making a small demonstration game and then I'll work on reconfiguring the engine and working on documentaion
ooh neat. now i can make games with little or no effort :D .

damn im lazy... :-D

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

the project's not dead :D

ok, so i haven't done anything with documentation, I haven't really packaged workable files yet. I was working on my documentation game...

cept i got bored with adding content so i'm just optimizing it now...

the game's about 10 prog+subprogs (It seems like a bit much to me but I can't really do much about it, since most programs are "modules" that do only one certain thing, for the sake of organization.) and with the game data It's about 6700bytes (I went through the program in the past week and optimized it about 300 bytes, so that's pretty good )
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Cool, glad it's not dead :) , will the tutorial be on calc or in text format? Not that I will need them (I will probably just sneak into the code directly :) ) but just wondering... :roll:

are you planning to use Flash Gordon to save RAM usage?
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

actually everything is directly on the ram, there really isn't a need for archive unless the user really wants to... that'd make this compatib;e with regular 83s i think, but i'll test it out on my calc to verify?

as for tutorials, maybe a html document, and soemhow make an animated on calc tutorial... maybe 8)
chronoflare

Post by chronoflare »

Hey I will gladly host it when its ready also.
Long retired from this forum. For all of those who are still coding here back from the days I posted, rock on.
If you are interested to see what I am working on now go to http://www.axulyon.com/