Remote Computer Access

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Remote Computer Access

Post by mnc2fan »

I know you can remotely connect to a computer but I don't know how to do it. Could someone coach me through doing a remote connect, I have win 2000, and I have a firewall that has to be disabled right.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

With Win2k, you need to download a VNC package. You can try www.realvnc.com 's package. You need to set up the server on the host, open the port (5900 by default, I think), and to use the client program on whatever computer you want to use to control with. Yes, that means you need to be able to run arbitrary code. I do believe there is an option for it to run an http server that serves a java client. If you need help setting it up, read the docs or just ask me.
ImageImage
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

So is it possible to connect a win 2000 to an XP computer? cause that is what I will be doing. And I may need help setting up this computer (the win 2000 pc) as a server. I'll let you know if I do. Thanks :D :D

Edit: Ok I set up VNC, how do I set up a client to connect to the "server" computer? Wait, there is a client program to set up on the client. Is that going to be possible on a school computer that has auto sytem restore after restart?
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Yes, that'll work... You can use a Linux computer to control it for all it cares, or even a Win3.11 computer (if you get it on the Internet and find a VNC client).

As long as you can download or get the program onto that computer every time you use it. However, they might have the needed ports blocked outgoing... In that case, you can try using a different port.
ImageImage
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Where has my beloved CTTY gone in Windows XP?
Windows can do remote desktopping automatically (or at least Windows XP Pro and 2000 can) without any extra software (useful if you're too lazy to wander the 10m to the 2K server to configure it from there).
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

Cool thanks. Just have to get the microsoft antispyware to let me in when I connect, but I can do that myself.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

No. Windows 2000 Pro does NOT have any remote desktoping. You need Windows 2000 Terminal Server in order to do so.
ImageImage
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

AndySoft wrote:No. Windows 2000 Pro does NOT have any remote desktoping.
Really? Hmm, I'm more used to Advanced Server (which certainly does) than plain 2K.
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

And that is where VNC is used on non server OS computers right? I'm sure you weren't talking to me about having to have win2k terminal to connect using VNC cause it has win2k as on of the requirments for use. I found the manual for VNC free on their site, so more reading.

School bell... :x :x
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

VNC is really easy to use and it will certainly work. In fact I use VNC to remote connect to my Linux X desktop from my WinXP Home laptop :) OS difference shouldn't be any problem.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

Yey, I have success!!! It was awsome, slow but awsome. Is there any possible way to speed it up, or is that the speed that it will run at always. I had it on 8 colors
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

At 8 colors? That's all you can do, really... The upstream on your end is the problem.
ImageImage
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

Yeah that is the problem, I have an upload of 350 Kbps, with a down of 2 mbps. So that sucks. But the only reason I'm doing this is to move some files, and to check my email at school.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Well hell, I have 512/128 and that's about all we CAN get here...
ImageImage
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

So I should be able to run in a higher color setting. Thats what it was set to when I opened VNC on the viewer compy. Well I get to try it out at school tomorrow... :twisted: ...I'll post the results. 8)