Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Leumas wrote:
DarkAuron wrote:Leumas, not everyone has nothing to do except the book. As for me, I've been juggling with lots of different things in the past week, some which I've finished, so I havn't had a lot of time for the book. I'm still not done with it, but I'm about 2/3rd done.
Okay I am sorry, the reason I have finished the book is that everyone else in my family are MAJOR harry Potter fans and I need to read it or they go balistic. I do have a 30 hour a week part time job

When you finish reading the book, more importantly when I can get the book back from my father's work, I will be able to show you a couple of the issues. A basic one is how long the "good luck potion" should last. At the beggining it is only to last 12 hours, in the last few chapters they say more than that.

As for the character... Yeah I can still believe in a Little consistancy. First Hermione(spelling?). Since when does she care about doing ONLY Ministry of Magic approved things. She made the poly juice potion, she broke unnumberable rules, she destroyed and fought with the ministry of magic. She endured their intrusion in the 5th year. So why was she so uptight about ministry spells. If she was worried about what the spells would do than she should say that, and stick with that, not talk about the ministry.

Ron, well ron and harry both are hit with the same blast as being written by a girl who never understood boys. With Ron's first girlfriend he is immeadiately kissing her "BIG TIME". Unless England is Massively different they don't even do that in New Orleans (My college is on St. Charles).

Harry, well to be honest a lot of change can be allowed, but she was just bad at it. Her description of Envy or jelosy or whatever "the monster in his stummache(spelling?)" was bad. I KNOW I am not alone when I thought she had it very wrong for guys. Everyone is different, yes, but that was a little too much.

Malfoy was my favorite character change. I thought that if she did that with every one (method not actually change) her skills would have sky rochetted.

And Snape, well, I am serriously pissed with what she did with Snape. He was my third favorite teacher and they didn't even do DADA classes(not like the last years).

The rest of the issues were with how she ended the book and you need to finish so that they make since so I won't spoil or taint your finishing.

I guess that I am not a die-hard HP fan. Her books are not bad, but I donot believe they should/will be remembered now or in the future as the Greatest books to ever grace our presense in the 21 century. Give me Earthsea, Dune, C.S. Lewis, or Tolkien (every so often), over her.
Ah...but tolkien created a nasty little barrier for popularity...it is very wordy. The books are especialy hard to read if you are dislexic, as normaly I can forget to read words here and there and still get the sentence...in the LOR, I get stuck reading the same sentence four or five times occasionaly -_-...I would imagine it would be worse for a kid. I read the first earth sea back in middle school, good book...but it had a diffrent appeal. The harry potter books (at least when I was younger) made you wish the story was true and that you were there in that school, you were learning magic, ect, ect. While the other books are undoubtedly better written, the story doesn't connect as well at a personal level.

--Edit: I don't know a single person (male of course) that wouldn't drop a girl if they weren't interested...And my experiences point to people not kissing for very long stretch of time...they just progress to less and less 'innocent' things. She doesn't seem to understand the male species very well...maybe why she is divorced
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I do admit though, I've read most of the 6th book and not much has really happened. A lot of background and hidden info is being revealed... I do however believe that this book is a preparation for the final and last book, for the final battle. I'm not totally sure about my opinion of this yet as I still havn't finished the book, but this is what it seems like.

In my opinion of favoritism, I like the 4th book the best, although that opinion is a bit biased because it's got dragons in it :twisted: But it does have a lot of new stuff in it, lots of magic, and lots of adventuring in it, mostly the triwizard tournament but.. still, I do like the 4th one the most.

The 5th book was very very depressing for me to read, nothing but bad things were happening until the end. The first 3 books were more of an introduction to the storyline, so they built up a lot of grounding. And that rounds out my opinion of the books, for the most part.

Even though it's 1:53am and I should be in bed, I won't be going to bed anytime soon I don't think. Oh well. I need to do something productive, seriously...
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

*possible spoilers ahead*

man.. i just finished book 6. and i'm a little bit in shock. I felt the same way after Sirius died. Like, 'can they actually do that??' Overall I liked this one a lot, but felt it was way too short, or read too fast. But there was so much background information, and new twists introduced. Very interesting. I definitely feel that this is more of a prologue to book 7, setting up the final fight as DA said. Book 7 will be nuts, I'm sure. :)
That_One_Guy

Post by That_One_Guy »

benryves wrote:Rincewind would kick Harry's arse any day. :D
Or just run away, gabbling about potatoes.

Either way, I've never really worked out why Harry Potter is so popular. The books aren't brilliantly written, and the stories don't really entertain me. *shrugs* At the very least, it puzzles me why people get up to buy the book in the middle of the night...
Lmao, I agree. Rincewind would kick Harry's ass any day. Terry Pratchett is my favourite author of all time (runner up is Neil Gaiman, who did Good Omens with Terry Pratchett)
Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.

http://www.xanga.com/jakku_kun, rants by me.
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

[OFFTOPIC]
-Edit: I don't know a single person (male of course) that wouldn't drop a girl if they weren't interested...And my experiences point to people not kissing for very long stretch of time...they just progress to less and less 'innocent' things. She doesn't seem to understand the male species very well...maybe why she is divorced
I am a boy (IRONY: MY AVATAR), and I definatly feel that I would drop a gilfriend if I wasnt intrested and she was there :wink: .

So yeah I agree with you on that.
[ONTOPIC]

As for HP6, I really wondered about Ginny and Harry. Like it just popped out of nowhere. Like when did Harry strted to love her.

As for the ending it was predictable.

*SPOILERS BIG ONES*
*DONT READ BELOW THE LINE*
==============================================
The moment Snape got a Defense against the dark arts, knew he that he will either go to the dark side or die. Since he did the promise to help malfoy then he would go on dark side.
As for the Dumbeldore, then it was REALLY predictable that he would eventually die.

If Harry has to face Voldemort, then he must do it alone or without the help from "big guys" . Therefore, Sirius and Dumbledore have been "eliminated".
Life is getting better.
Leumas
Extreme Poster

Post by Leumas »

necro wrote: Ah...but tolkien created a nasty little barrier for popularity...it is very wordy. The books are especialy hard to read if you are dislexic, as normaly I can forget to read words here and there and still get the sentence...in the LOR, I get stuck reading the same sentence four or five times occasionaly -_-...I would imagine it would be worse for a kid. I read the first earth sea back in middle school, good book...but it had a diffrent appeal. The harry potter books (at least when I was younger) made you wish the story was true and that you were there in that school, you were learning magic, ect, ect. While the other books are undoubtedly better written, the story doesn't connect as well at a personal level.
I know exactly what you mean, I am dislexic (the second major reason for my spelling errors, first is laziness).

I liked the idea of Earthsea because I was raised on The Wrinkel in Time, books. The idea of magic being the knowlegde of True Names and that is where power is was really cool. The second of the Earthsea is dark and completely unrelated untill the very end, and the third is just plain cool.

@Shadow Phoenix: My mother was obsessed with the fact Harry and Ginny would get together. I thought the break up was stupid. She took it WAY too well. Besides as was proven in the second book her relationship with him doesn't mean she won't get into danger on her own. Besides if he will still hang around with Ron, why not his sister, its not like the dealth eaters don't kill the entire family.

I am PISSED ABOUT SNAPE he was SO Cool. Still a traitor always has the ability to become a traitor again, the only reason I think this is that I can't see who would kill Snape in the last book, certainly NOT Lupin or the others, and it can't be a stupid, "oh did you hear, Snape died". We shall see.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

he still has for mour horcruxes to destroy...and one book to do it in...he also has to either die or kill voldemort...so, long story short, I wonder how she could finish the story in the last book. Also, is harry not going to Hogwarts any more...and how could he kill Voldemort if he is substantialy weaker than any of the adults in the story...he couldn't even use a killing spell against him.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Shadow Phoenix wrote:[OFFTOPIC]
-Edit: I don't know a single person (male of course) that wouldn't drop a girl if they weren't interested...And my experiences point to people not kissing for very long stretch of time...they just progress to less and less 'innocent' things. She doesn't seem to understand the male species very well...maybe why she is divorced
I am a boy (IRONY: MY AVATAR), and I definatly feel that I would drop a gilfriend if I wasnt intrested and she was there :wink: .
I don't think any girl would use that avatar...and speaking of it...it is very distracting
Leumas
Extreme Poster

Post by Leumas »

HAHAHAHAHA
Actually I know Quite a few that would find that avatar funny and use it.

I had to read your last post twice before I saw your comment.

I don't like this horcruxes thing but its an intresting idea. Actually if RAB (I think this is Sierious 's Brother who died, if he did :? ) did not destroy the horcrux than Harry has to destroy 5 more including Voldemort (what ever happened to the Nevil side of the prophcy?). I think she has dug herself into a pit. If she collapses to the pressure of releasing the next book like this one, I am afraid of a huge disappointment.

But the idea of Harry leaving Hogwarts is STUPID. He might as well have done that durring the second book. Besides were else would he go? The burrow, but I thought he didn't want to endanger Ginny? Black's House? Maybe but he couldn't stand the idea of going back. Hogwarts needs to stay open. He obviously doesn't know enough.

*side note* have you noticed( general "you") how Harry has taken very few exams over his six years?
Spooner

Post by Spooner »

SPOILER

Yeah I thought the ending was lame he pulled a Spider Man 1 I can't love you anymore. And the thought of no Howgarts is really truly stupid. I never liked Snape, So I hope j.k.r tells the readers why dumbuldore truested him.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I finally finished the book, and I have some things to say about what's being discussed now. First off,

*EVERYTHING IN THIS TOPIC IS SPOILER RELATED NOW, SO READ NO MORE AT ALL IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE ENTIRE BOOK*

If he had left the school back in his 2nd year, where would he have gone? He didn't know nearly as much about Voldemort as he does now, he has an ultimate quest to complete, and he knows how to do it, he just has to find the remaining horcruxes and destroy them. His ultimate protection from his mother will end when he turns 17, and only if he goes back to the dursleys'. Considering that Hogwarts was easily penetrated at this point, he virtually has no protection, and going to hogwarts would be pointless and waste time, thus he must end it all. That is why he doesn't want to go back, he has no reason to. And yeah, he did pull a spiderman 1, but for good cause. If you don't think that's in his character, try thinking for ONCE about how he's often unsure of things and doesn't want people to get hurt, it's part of his good nature.

I do feel that Snape or some other person will probably tell some story about Dumbledore's trust of Snape in the last book, possibly changing Harry's opinion of him, or it could be that Dumbledore didn't know better, or didn't want to accept the truth. That I'm unsure of..

And..
As for the Dumbeldore, then it was REALLY predictable that he would eventually die.
Of course. But since when was this predictable?
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Leumas
Extreme Poster

Post by Leumas »

My point with Harry saying good-bye to Ginny is that it does NOTHING. Ron mentioned several times how his family is considered "blood traitors", so their involvement with Harry has already condemed them. If he will allow Ron and Hermione to help (lets face it, he NEEDS them) then Ginny will be in danger from her brothers involvement, not just from Harry. That was Rowling trying to make it into a "noble sacrifice" this is supposed to be his great loss. And it was not that good. Turning his back on his friends would have had a much greater impact, but he needs them. I mean Ginny can look after herself, she Was in the Ministry as well.

Also Harry's Ultimate protection has already faded, Voldemort TOUCHED him in the fourth book. Whats keeping him alive is that Voldemort wants to kill him(Harry) himself(voldemort).

I still want to see Snape do something to redeem himself. A spy is the worst of the people to play because niether side trusts you. Just like Snape stayed at hogwarts because of "orders" , Snape may be doing the same thing only under Dumbledore's orders. (Hoping but doubtful from Rowling writting style).

Leaving Hogwarts is bad because that is classic of harry's character, believing that he can handle something that he knows nothing about. He thinks this is the best but his judgement hasn't been spot on up to this point.
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

I feel so good with my avatar back ^_^.
Anyway,
==================SPOILERS=====================
I feel that it was truly predictable since Sirius died.
For example, if Harry Potter knew that something happened, then he would RUN to Sirius or Dumbledore to tell them that. Now he has to face making decisions.
Life is getting better.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Bah, i can't stand this anymore. This book is getting worse with every page i turn.. I started really good but now it's all
spoilers wrote:OOH! you have to kill voldemort with LOOOOVVE. Don't care about actually being a good wizard or a worthy opponent, just focus on being a queer ass instead.
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

Harry: I luuuuuuuuuuuve you Voldemort!
Voldemort: I luuuuuve you too!!
Harry and Voldemort hugs, and Voldemort dies because of luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuve.

:roll:
Life is getting better.