Harry Potter : Hogwarts Quest

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Harry Potter : Hogwarts Quest

Post by threefingeredguy »

Well so me and the_unknown_one (hereafter know as tuo) are making an assembly rpg about harry potter. You may think its dumb, but ive just finished the engine and its already fun. it will feature 255 tiles (cause i dont know how to add more :-P) and a cool storyline. Any comments or contributions will be glady accepted. Please comment.
Spooner

Post by Spooner »

hHECK YES!!!! This is going to be cool! I really enjoy Harry Potter and I would love to play in on the calc.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

well, i wasnt pleased with the graphics but i drew up a million more tiles (actually there are currently 109 tiles wih 255 total expected) and now it looks cool. im still looking for a good AND or OR logic (as opposed to XOR) sprite routine so that i can turn a pixel on or off without inverting it. also we are ready to wrap up the storyline, write out necessary dialogue and cutscenes, and plan for items and spells available. The spells and items will be real ones from the book, unlike the commercial games that had made up spells.

As for armor, I was thinking perhaps that armor could be of a certain quality and strength. everyone knows an armors strength is good for your defense, but the quality could determine the amount and type of spells that could be put on it, like the shield hats in hp6 or the headless hats/invisiblitly cloaks. Fred and George could put an enchantment on there, for a price, and you could also find scrolls with runes/incantations on them good for 1 casting on an armor piece. that way you could build up a good armor with shield charm, invisibilty, healing, and/or more on it. The spells wouldnt work EVERY time, but enough to be useful. What do you think?
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

I think:
Harry Potter? Oaah bah!
RPG? N1ce!
Revolution Software
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

uuuh...

Post by the_unknown_one »

1. (hereafter know as tuo) -> Wtf? I never said i should be called tuo! I'd like everyone to call me the_unknown_one (or Dantes, my other nick)! Any change of my nickname is not appreciated :(

2. I'm glad you're taking initiative, but PLEASE don't tell WHOLE the community about our project...
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

sounds neat...is it directly going to follow the story? Also, do you need any sprite work?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

tiles would be cool if you want to draw anything.

yeah screenies soon, im working out some bugs before i take em.

sry the unknown one, it jyust takes a while to type, and i thought you said to tell people.

it follows a new storyline which is up to the uknown one to tell you about if he wants to.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

storyline on eps forums.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

why didn't you just copy/paste it onto this topic?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

lazy and im not sure if the_unknown_one wants me to.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

Was normally going to post here and paste to eps, but forum went down, so i posted there, and forgot to paste here later... So, now, here is the beginning of the storyline so far:

Voldemort and the Death Eaters have taken over Hogwarts with the help of the Slytherins (note, this game will be based mostly on the first few games, so Snape will be their leader, not Slughorn (who is Potions teacher & Headmaster of Slytherin (at the end of)/in the 6th book), but I may put him somewhere in the game too...). The day after Hogwarts has been taken over, Harry Potter awakes in a bed in a rented room in The Three Broomsticks, with Ron Weasley and Hermione (can't remember her surname atm) sitting next to the bed. As he seems to have a black-out from what happened the day before, they tell him what has happened, and they tell him that Hagrid, Dumbledore and a few other people have been captured. Of course, the group decides to go save them. First you can buy spells ... in Hogsmead, where you also meet other people who escaped the castle (and haven't been killed). (I'm thinking about putting some subquests in this town, that you have to complete either in the castle, or in the forest) Then, you go to Hogwarts, you have to save Hagrid on the grounds (locked in his house), and Sprout in the greenhouses. Then you can enter the castle itself, ... I really dont want to tell anymore, since I havent worked it out fully yet anyway. I hope this gives an idea of how the game'll be, and I hope you'll like it.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

hows this for a map? This is a CalcGS screenshot.

[Edit]
Last edited by threefingeredguy on Tue 08 Nov, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

:shock: , man you make it look so easy! I like the stairs the best and yes it is great.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

I am editing the above post to add another map. Then I will edit this post to show character sprites.

If I use these:
then I can use the maps I've already CalcGS'd.

If I use these (which look nicer):
then, it would maybe look better. What do you think?
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

i like the second one :)