USB mouse on 84+

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

No, it should still work with the basic getKey since it actually does its work with GetCSC.
ImageImage

Post by avatardelta »

sweet. so, we could play mp3's later????
form usb flash drives of course
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Of course not. The calculator can't output sound very well, and decoding an MP3 would be way too hard for it to do. If you really want a portable MP3 player, go buy one.
ImageImage
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

Have any of you guys visited TI Calc? If you haven't check out the new developments of the USB device driver for the 84+ and 84+SE

Now support for thumb drives, which has some good capabilities for the 84+SE now. As what I can see is that it doesn't have to decode the video, so this seems to mean is that mp3s might be more possible than some of us may think. These are only my speculations though, so this isn't written any where.

Just check the video out, it may take a while to download but it is definitally worth the wait!

:P :P :P 8) 8)
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

MP3....no way. If Michael is tenacious enough to try it and succeeds. Well then he has surely set himself up for being declared a GOD OF TI!!!!!11!
But i can image a 1bit WAV player. So super crappy sound could be possible. And I can diffenate imagine sound plus video.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

mnc2fan wrote:As what I can see is that it doesn't have to decode the video, so this seems to mean is that mp3s might be more possible than some of us may think.
Then they aren't mp3s any more, just some bad quality pcm file, as it has been for years. Unless they find a way to properly modulate the link port without having to use up all the CPU time there's nothing to be excited about.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

How about a USB hub with a memory stick and external USB speakers hooked up..? :)
This is certainly REALLY cool, too bad the 83's don't have a USB port...
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

Well instead of mp3's lets just call it audio. Audio that doesn't have to be decoded like you said pcm files.

Remember before he made the USB driver no one believed you could use the usb port like you can on the compy. So if you think about it, modulating the link port to use minimum cpu power is possible, just no one knows how. Just give it time... :wink:
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Well, there is a difference, because the USB port itself was undocumented, while we know exactly how to play digital sound through the link port. That involves assembling a certain pulse sequence which can only be done by the CPU. The only way to delegate this task would require a piece of hardware that can do this specific calculation autonomously. However, it's unlikely that TI added builtin sound support. ;)
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Do I remember correctly that someone tried to play sound with an interrupt routine and that it turned out to be impossible..?
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

USB Hub? That's a whole 'nother can of worms. Bandwidth would be crappier too. Go read my whole long post on ticalc if you want the nitty gritty.

Of course, they'll probably do it like they did for video and I'll have to eat my words.
ImageImage
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

Ok someone said something about an external video card for the calc, so how about an external usb sound card with its own decoding abilities.

Look no more than tigerdirect

I have no clue if it requires more than 100mA, but at the most you would have to supply it with its own battery power if you couldn't supply it with enought power.

With the bandwidth of the USB port being dragged down you can have sofware to tell the port to have all data packaged as one.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Timendus wrote:Do I remember correctly that someone tried to play sound with an interrupt routine and that it turned out to be impossible..?
I did, it worked pretty well, I even got PCM audio through okay.
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

QuadPlayer

Jim e I don't know if this is the one you did or yours is on your web page
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Web page....Ahh, I foregot about that.*removes* That's outdated.

Quadplayer was something done by an intelligent person, Ben Ryves. Me, mine was half assed weekend project with a modified glaxain.

I should really do something with that.