Think you're addicted?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

DigiTan wrote:Sometime after I read kv83's post, I passed by the counseling center on campus and happened to spot a pamphlet on computer additiction. Appearantly, it extremely common. Here are some of the symptoms they listed:

* Losing track of time while on the computer
* Breaking promises to decrease comp use
* Lying about amount of time spent on comp
* Feeling anxious, depressed, or irritable when comp time is interrupted
* Neglecting friends, family, or responsibilities in order to stay online
* Using comp as an outlet when sad or upset
* Financial problems due to billing or online gambling
* Sleep disturbance or backache

It was kind of interesting, because I fit all but 2 of those descriptions. It also seems that I suffer from primary insomnia. :insane:
I fit in the first 6 categories. My thumb also hurts because of Phoenix..
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Hum, I thought I was too devoted to computers, but I only fit a few of the things listed in 'that 'list'. They generalize sitting much in front of the computer = using the internet much. I program all day long, so I guess I'm on the safe side, eh? :)
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

* Losing track of time while on the computer (time flies when having fun. no?)
* Breaking promises to decrease comp use (I don't break promises, I just downright refuse)
* Lying about amount of time spent on comp (nah...I was just on for a couple dozen hours)
* Feeling anxious, depressed, or irritable when comp time is interrupted (who wouldn't be irritated when distrupted while playing quake 2)
* Neglecting friends, family, or responsibilities in order to stay online (nah...I ignore them regardless of wether I am on the computer or not)
* Using comp as an outlet when sad or upset (hmmm...I am on when ever I can be...regardless of mood)
* Financial problems due to billing or online gambling (nope...I have no money to gamble)
* Sleep disturbance or backache (no backache...I am a late to bed late to rise kind of person so I guess I don't realy fit into that category either)

YAY! I am 100% not addicted.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I used to think I was far along, until I had this roommate who was seriously addicted. I'm talking 1st-thing-in-the-morning...last-thing-at-night addicted. There were weekends were he'd literally walk in his room with a soda and a bag of chips on a Friday night, and not emerge until Monday morning. Curtains shut and everything. Yeah, creepy.

After that I promised myself not to land in that lifestyle. You know, get out an excercise and stuff. Lately, I got hooked to this freerunning stuff (don't ask to do any tricks, I suck at it so far). It's real easy to get hooked and forget there's a real world out there. Best not to waste your youth I always say.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
chronoflare

Post by chronoflare »

Man I knew I wasnt addicted, I just use the magic known as multitasking.
1 math problem - 30 mins on internet another problem another thirty minutes...
Multitasking is fun!
Long retired from this forum. For all of those who are still coding here back from the days I posted, rock on.
If you are interested to see what I am working on now go to http://www.axulyon.com/
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

multitasking.. procrastinating.. same thing right? ;)
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

blueskies wrote:multitasking.. procrastinating.. same thing right? ;)
Absolutely! :D :D :D
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

hey IM homeschooled so BEAT that also what else is their to do when their are no kids your age in your hood?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

'hood' ... i like it how people say that.

Homeschooled aye? Dont you live near any schools or didnt your parents want you going?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Toaster
Extreme Poster

Post by Toaster »

tr1p1ea wrote:'hood' ... i like it how people say that.

Homeschooled aye? Dont you live near any schools or didnt your parents want you going?
Iam homeschooled too. :) I like homeschooling but I dont have very many friends. :P Thats why I am going to a boarding school next year. :D I have a few friends at the boarding school but they live there and I only see them at the end of every month. :cry:
Join me at:
http://nanotech.pcriot.com
or
http://emancipal.co.nr

Coming soon..
Rewrite 3D Level Editor - 55% done!!
Emancipal - The Creator 5% done