grouping library for 83?

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

necro
Calc King

grouping library for 83?

Post by necro »

a asm library to group and ungroup programs inside of a basic program program would be neat. (would allow for installers to make life easier, and uninstallers to clean up...and would ease in archiving/unarchiving in large games)
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

I thought groups were only PC based. When I send them to my calc, they become un-grouped.
EDIT: wait nevermind I just saw it in the mem menu. :P
bananas... o.o
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Wow I can seem to understand why I didnt though of that yet :) that would be cool, for example in a chapter based game where there isa lot of prgms, when you finish the chapter, you run codex or such prgm to delete all the no longer necessary prgms then ungroup the file
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any documented B_CALLs to create a group/ungroup. The only way I see (to Group) would be to unlock flash and write the bytes yourself. Ungrouping, as long as you can find the data pointer and data structure, should be fairly trivial to do.

Of course, if somebody found the B_CALLs, then it'll be smooth sailing :)
"If SOURCE is outlawed, only outlaws will have SOURCE."
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

and then there wouldn't be so many "*SNIVEL*I can't get so and so game to work*SNIVEL* :lol:
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Gambit wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think there are any documented B_CALLs to create a group/ungroup. The only way I see (to Group) would be to unlock flash and write the bytes yourself. Ungrouping, as long as you can find the data pointer and data structure, should be fairly trivial to do.

Of course, if somebody found the B_CALLs, then it'll be smooth sailing :)
:cry: not going to happen? :cry: hmmm...would Ti give out that info if you asked them :?:
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

You know copying a program at a time from a group to the ram is a good idea, I'm thinking about kevins game with 70 odd programs in them, It was insane to try to install it. Working with a group you could probalby do it with just two files, the main program and the group.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I think it is a good idea to nearly always group projects that have a large number of installation files.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

Tracing through the OS code, I could not find a B_CALL :cry: It seems that TI does a direct call/jump. What I did discover was that TI does math, then writes a block, does more math, then writes a block, ad infinum... (j/k about the ad infinum :wink:). If someone can prove me wrong (please do!)...
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

hm

Post by the_unknown_one »

I'll do some research into this, cause it would be great if i could add this to EBL...
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

I don't really understand why you'd want to use the normal groups. Why don't you create your own groups? You could have an assembly program that puts several programs into one program. That program could even be able to unzip itself when called with Asm(, have the data stored as compressed stream, et cetera... AND you'd still be compatible with the old Ti-83...
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

Timendus wrote:I don't really understand why you'd want to use the normal groups. Why don't you create your own groups? You could have an assembly program that puts several programs into one program. That program could even be able to unzip itself when called with Asm(, have the data stored as compressed stream, et cetera... AND you'd still be compatible with the old Ti-83...
That's a good idea! I just posted my stuff because they were asking how to ungroup the normal groups. Wow, that must be done!
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

hmm...on that whole idea, might it futher be possible to set up a folder system (groups within groups) and make it so you could delete a group a all of its included groups would subsequently also be deleted?
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Maybe, but remember that the z80 doesnt have folder like the TI-68k :shock:
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

true...but this would alow for a simple browser that could temp ungroup and regroup prgs as it goes (and make the 83 much more user friendly