An "M"-rated RPG?

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Would you like it?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 23

koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

An "M"-rated RPG?

Post by koolmansam375 »

This is just to throw an idea out for a project I may or not make. I was thinking to make an "edgy" RPG for the calc that would have violence and strong language and maybe even drug use. I was wondering if you would like this kind of thing or even if its a good idea.

Please dont ask for details of what style the RPG will be because Ill decide that if I decide to make it.

If I decide to do it i would have to versions:
1. The "edgy" version would if was rated by the ESRB would most likely get an M
2. A "censored" version with the strong language taken out. The violence would stay because im not going to make another set of sprites replacing blood with fluffy bunnies :) . This is the one thatll be on ticalc

And if you dont like blood/strong language then simply dont play the game :) .

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

That would be cool! I never seen any games like that happen on a calc, except Gemini and zDoom, where there is blood. :D

For the drugs I doubt it would make it up in ticalc.org archives though... :?
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Kevin wrote:That would be cool! I never seen any games like that happen on a calc, except Gemini and zDoom, where there is blood. :D

Why... IIRC drugwars is also at ticalc?
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I read on ticalc.org policies that drug releated programs were not allowed on their archives
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

Kevin wrote:That would be cool! I never seen any games like that happen on a calc, except Gemini and zDoom, where there is blood. :D

1. Desolate has blood too so thats why Im asking. This would be a RPG with stats and such and not so much based on puzzles as Desolate.

2. Yea thats why Im skeptical about the drugs. it could make for a good little side story tho :D

also i forgot to say it in the first post but no pixelated boobies either :lol:

Pongwars shall live!

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Initially, my vote was 'no,' but now I'm undecided and here's why:

It's not an objection to the program idea, but to the strategy in general. Historically, I've found that found that games that are deliberatly created to chase after mature content are doomed from the start creativity-wise. More often than not, adult content is substituted for good story-telling as a sort of mental crutch for the writers involved. Here, the hope is that by innudating the audience with enogh violence and profanity, the game will somehow divert attention away from it's own shortfalls. The same strategy is attempted in movies, literature and most other art forms. In a nutshell, it's real easy to overemphasise shock value over substance.

But it can work. There are some novels that tell incredible stories though violence in order to get the right message across. Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now revealed the atrocities of warfare with stark imagery. Lord of the Flies and Ender's Game used violent death scenes to reveal the creul side of humanity. The Old Testament needs no introduction. There are a lot more examples, but it looks like I'm starting to type up a novel of my own here... :lol:

I guess what I'm saying is, the concept could work, but that shouldn't be the sole purpose. If the idea is going to fly, then from a developers' standpoint it would be most prudent to establish a solid game concept (difficultly, character developement, replay value, originality, optimizations, and so on...), and then build the mature elements around that later. But my reasoning here already makes too many assumptions about the game.

Wheter the content is mature or not depends entirely on the story you're trying to tell, what audience you're trying to capture, and what your goals are for the game in general.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I say that if you want to make it, make it! We're not here to stop you.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

You know, it doesn't even have to be very violent to get an 'M' rating. I think all it needs is blood. O_O Dr. Snipe is rated 'M'! O_O Desolate is rated 'M'! O_O_O_O_O_O Holy crap! The original Mortal Kombat is rated 'M'!!! :O ph34r the bloody orange and yellow 2 dimensional people! I say go ahead. Blood makes things more realistic, and if the storyline calls for some other 'M' rated stuff, well, it isn't gonna stop me from playing it. I don't see what the big deal is about ratings anyways. ie: Zelda Ocarina of Time is an awesome 'E' rated game and Warcraft is a great 'M' rated game. I say, just make the game as cool as you possibly can and then I won't care whether it's rated 'E' or 'M'.
bananas... o.o
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

The "M" rating is just to refer to whether or not people would like (or even think its a good idea) to have a game with more mature elements.

The story doesnt have to be influenced by any of the elements at all! You could have a perfectly good story that gets the point across without using certain four (or three) letter words and massive amounts of blood and gore.
Ex. a character could say either "what the fuck is that!?" or "what is that!?" and it still means the same thing. Also many games have the violence with the guns and shooting but no blood whatsoever.

Pongwars shall live!

Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

But blood makes it more realistic and cooler. I have nothing at all against blood. Although, it probably is better to refrain from wtf statements, cause then it will get into ticalc.org easier. ;)
bananas... o.o
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I dont know but this M rated RPG idea remind me RL1. :roll:
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Well, if blood and "WTF" statements are the sole purpose, it might appeal to hicks and hyperactive 8th-graders; but it wouldn't earn you many points as a developer.

[no offense to hicks or hyperactive kids]
Projects:

Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Careful, I'm a Texan too...

Not that I'm dissing games with no blood mind you. BF1942 is a great game. Not to mention Smash Bros.
bananas... o.o
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Heh, I guess I was getting a little out of hand. Actually, I shouldn't talk because I was so country going up, even the kickers would call me Hank Hill. :lol: 'Cause of the accent and everything.

Smash Bros is a real good example too (probably my all-time favorate game). Halo isn't too gorey until you meet the flood. Well, there was blood, but you weren't swimming in it. There are lots of ways for the game to go. I'm still undecided.
Projects:

Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Careful, I'm a Texan too...
:D :) :D :)

Call me Rusty Shackleford!!!!!!! :P :P :P