Solar powered Ti-83Plus cleaning robot

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Timendus
Calc King

Solar powered Ti-83Plus cleaning robot

Post by Timendus »

Hello folks!

As some of you may know I've been working with a group of people from Belgium on a Ti-83+ robot. By now the robot has been built, the software has been written and the contest that it was built for is over. So it's time for some publicity :)

I've sent this information to Ticalc.org, but I don't know if or when they'll feature the news, so I thought I should post it here too. And maybe kv can put it on the calcwebzine if he deems it relevant? Anyway, here's the story.

A few months ago Jurgen van der Velde and his team of students from the VTI Leuven (that's Vrij Technisch Instituut, not Virtual TI ;)) approached me about connecting a Ti calculator to an external CPU, since they didn't have too much knowledge of the calculator. I still don't really know how he got my address (he got it from 'someone'), but I'm guessing it was because of my tutorial on linking or the Ti-83 robot I've been working on a few years back. I hadn't been coding for the calculator since the year 2003, so I had to start with setting up a decent compile environment, getting Ultra Edit to highlight the syntax of my assembly code and getting back to the Maxcoderz forum to ask questions about the Ti-83+ calculator :D

The purpose of the robot is to clean a room with the attached vacuum cleaner, running solely on solar power. Even the calculator gets it's power from the cells that are charged with the solar panel. If I'm not mistaken there are two bumpers on the front that detect collisions with the walls and the solar panel moves independently to face the light. The calculator can control the servos that move the robot and turn the vacuum cleaner on and off.

The Belgian team was building like madmen on their hardware (and I think they did an incredible job at it) while I was struggling to get a calculator I didn't own and that was 400km away to send out the proper signals so the processor they used in the robot could receive the proper byte. After e-mailing about 50 binaries the program finally did what it was supposed to do, and after a short tutorial in Basic and how to use the transfer program they could control their robot.

As mentioned, the robot was built for a contest: www.solarteam.be - Go to Solar Olympics.
They had it working just in time so they could participate, but unfortunately they didn't win. Some weird hothouse thing did, and nobody really understood why :D. They were however pretty much the media's favourite, and got some good remarks in the newspapers and on TV:
Clicky
The item about the contest starts at 28:07, as you may have guessed from the filename :). The Belgian student says:
"This is the solar panel that you see turning to the light, with these two sensors. It is meant to clean garbage, and based on a Ti-83 calculator, which almost every student has in his backpack"

The team is working on a website at the moment, I'll post the link here once they've got it online.
Last edited by Timendus on Tue 22 Mar, 2005 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

:O

O_O

actually I have one question...why is it solar powered if it's meant for indoor use? o_O Where does it get it's power?
bananas... o.o
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Never talk about the relevance of scientific projects ;):P
And there's light indoors, isn't there..? :)
Last edited by Timendus on Tue 22 Mar, 2005 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow! This is awesome!

It reminds me of those computer controlled lego robots i used to mess around with.

Ive always wanted to build a robot with a calc at the helm ... imagine like a rover or something :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Toaster
Extreme Poster

Post by Toaster »

That looks sweet!! Not bad lookin. :D I remember when I used to play with lego robotics I made an arm that could pick up small stuff. :)
Join me at:
http://nanotech.pcriot.com
or
http://emancipal.co.nr

Coming soon..
Rewrite 3D Level Editor - 55% done!!
Emancipal - The Creator 5% done
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Be carefull with that linkport. It's a peice of sh...

:: Lights go out ::
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

I don't get it :P
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Another reason why you should be a TI-calculator...way to go Timendus! You just gave TI another reason to jack up the price of the newer calcs and sell the new TI cleaning floor fluid! :D
The Revolution is here...
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

nice

Post by the_unknown_one »

I saw it on TV a few days ago! Nice work Timendus :wink:
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Nice one, you get a news item of course (though it isn't related to games at all, but hey :roll: )
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Oh, is the Calcwebzine only about gaming..? :oops:
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Both sites will probably cover the story; no problem. I recall ticalc doing a story on a radio link about 2 summers ago.

@ the_unknown_one: Where did you see it on TV? If it was in the US, those guys must be pretty famous!
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

I considered posting this on calcgames, but I don't think very many people would find it interesting. If you really want me to, I will post it though.
ImageImage
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

Belgium. I live in Belgium, and the contest was in Belgium, so its normal that i saw it. I dont think they showed it on the tv in any other country. When i saw it, i immediately knew: Yep, Timendus did that :D
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I am wondering if ticalc.org will post the newsarticle about it, I still dont see it yet
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)