ASM tool for BASIC programmers

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Toaster wrote:Umm with all these options why not just learn ASM and make your game in ASM?? I think with all of those tools it would be a great help in making basic games but like omnicalc is it gona reset your RAM. :(
Omnicalc 1.23 and above never reseted my RAM, I can even send the program to my computer without any problem. I dont understand why people are sticking with the idea that Omnicalc is unstable 9 months after the release of the new omnicalc. I know it's huge and all the math functions could be replaced with programming functions, but I definitively it's the only way to have fast graphical games in basic. Using the Asm( command or execAsm( command in a while / for( / repeat / goto loop isnt a very good idea, unless you have 22 KB of RAM free to run the game

Just try to play the reign of Legends 3, which uses Codex, then compare the walking engine speed with reuben quest, which uses omnicalc

The only way to have something as fast as Omnicalc would be to make a Asm program that install the EBL libraries directly in the TI-OS like omnicalc does and be able to run them with a modified token form like real(XX, .

EDIT: the other solution would be to rewrite the Asm( command so it run as fast as basic commands and install it as a hook in the TI-OS like omnicalc
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I had all these ideas to update xLIB ... then i realised that its almost exactly the same as how OmniCalc works :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

yea

Post by the_unknown_one »

I was thinking about it too... But i know nothing about hooks, so it would be hard. Anyway, i've started working on it, also been thinking a lot about how it would work/what routines would be in it and how they would work. And tr1p1ea, can i use your source of XLib now (i pmed u about it)? And plz not partly, i need it fully.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Also, i'm maybe going to add a string-based tilemapper routine, since Kevin/dysfunction and some other guys desperately need one :D
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

Kevin wrote:EDIT: the other solution would be to rewrite the Asm( command so it run as fast as basic commands and install it as a hook in the TI-OS like omnicalc
That means that you'll need to use the parser hook, which, if you chained it with Omnicalc, would be incredibly slow. You would either have to modify Omnicalc, or don't use Omnicalc at all :shock:
"If SOURCE is outlawed, only outlaws will have SOURCE."
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

greyscale

I'm going to include a greyscale routine, but i'm not sure if i should do 3-level or 4-level? The greyscale should be fast enough, but also look good.
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

Mine is 3-level, simply because there aren't enough safeRAM areas on the 83+... on the SE/84+s however...
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

o_O

Looks like i'll have to do much research on it to be able to do it, cause i want to do it 4-level and i want to not use SafeRAM and AppBackupScreen :?
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Re: o_O

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

the_unknown_one wrote:Looks like i'll have to do much research on it to be able to do it, cause i want to do it 4-level and i want to not use SafeRAM and AppBackupScreen :?
me 2 since GS uses saferam 1/2
Life is getting better.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

GS?
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Gambit wrote:Mine is 3-level, simply because there aren't enough safeRAM areas on the 83+... on the SE/84+s however...
How would 3 level save any memory. you still need 2 layers.
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

Jim e wrote:
Gambit wrote:Mine is 3-level, simply because there aren't enough safeRAM areas on the 83+... on the SE/84+s however...
How would 3 level save any memory. you still need 2 layers.
A buffer and plotSScreen; there's your two layers :)
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Uh....but 4 level uses two layers as well...so why drop down? :?
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Yea, just use 4-level!
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

ebl

Ok i've started working on it, i'm now putting in some basic routines in and when i implemented them i'll release it as v 0.1. This will include clear screen, run indicator off, copy program to another (like zcopy works) and direct input. But i need some more input on direct input routine: which keys should it check for and should it do multiple keypresses? If so, which multiple keypresses?