First grai scale, now SOUND!!!!!

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Kevin wrote:NO! NOT RADIO SHACK!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
it cost $750 for a 2.5 mm -> 3.5 mm adapter at RS

just kidding :) it's just $5
$5 is still outrageous. We need a shame emoticon.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

just a lil question: is this project compatible with Omnicalc, xLIB and Flash Gordon?
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

A TSR, i'd perfer not to but i don't think it's out of the question, I'll see if its possible. But glad you brought this up.
I am planning on making a shell that well be specificly for the SE. Including a mapper, sprite clipping, greyscale, and hopefully sound. The goal would be to take as much work off the coder so he can focus on the actual game coding and not redunant routines. And cosidering the extra speed and memory, previous limitations would fade away.
If I can get the shell Idea working, I'll move on to an interpreter. My biggest concern though is a lack of support since so few own a SE. And Emulators don't support the timers either, HELL, i don't think any even support the normal interrupts well.

*******shameless plug*******

BUY THE 84+SE, IT'S SUPER!!!!

****end of whoring session****

Out of curiosity though are there any routines a coder would want.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

***Shamefull plug***

Don'T buy the 84+ SE
It doesn't run ROL3 and Dark Link Quest!

***end of shamefull plug***
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Jim e wrote:
Kevin wrote:NO! NOT RADIO SHACK!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
it cost $750 for a 2.5 mm -> 3.5 mm adapter at RS

just kidding :) it's just $5
$5 is still outrageous. We need a shame emoticon.
it costed me €6.50 and i had to go to Germany for it (okay, they probably had it in Amsterdam too, but i was in Germany anyway). But it was worth it, now i can listen to music on my mobile phone using my good headphone instead of a crappy headset.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Alright I'm looking to the TSR sound. My logic is this

Basic runs tsr installer
Sets up im 2 interrupt
Copys song and playing routine to one of the unused SE ram pages.
returns to basic
Everytime an interrupt occurs swap out $C000 and call it
when done playing return to interrupt & unswap pages.
If any normal interrupt was generated go to $38, other wise RET

thats my logic so far. It actually might be feasible.

Anyone see some potential bugs or things to look out for?

Oh and I think Michael said that the unused ram pages aren't affected by the 8k limit so I should be fine there.
merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

***Shamefull plug***

Don'T buy the 84+ SE
It doesn't run ROL3 and Dark Link Quest!

***end of shamefull plug***
Umm, yeah it does, I have one, and it does.
Last edited by merthsoft on Fri 04 Mar, 2005 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shaun
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

are u using TILP? Cuz with TI-Connect it doesn't (ERR:UNDEFINED or Invalid name)

I am wondering if there's going to be a song editor like Kerm did with his mobile tunes prgm?
merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

Yeah, I did have to, but that's ok, it did that when I tried to put it on my friends 83+SE, and my other friends 83+, I had to use TiLP...
Back on topic:
So if I want to play A4, then I would have interrupts occuring 880
But how accurate is it like, like, the B flat above that is 446.1637615809, so do you have it go at 932.32752303618, or just 932... Or do you have it. I don't know the format, but lets say you play the have it playing the B flat above that (so B flat 4), would you have in the file B-4 ("-" meaning flat), and then something to signify duration, and to play the note you have a little routine that kinda looks like this:

Code: Select all

//Woohoo pseudcode mixed with BASIC
Convert the note into a number, and store it to NOTE 
//A1 is 0, B-1 is 1 B3 is 2 etc.
55 store as START
For A = 1 to NOTE
START * 12root2  store as START //Multiply START by the 12th root of 2
Next A
If NOTE is an A above A1 (like, if it's 12, 24, etc.)
Then
55 store as START
Store which A it is to C //A2: C=1, A3: C=2
For A = 1 to C
START*2 store as START
Next A
EndIf
START* 2 store as NOTE // Because you use the frequency times two.
Hope that makes sence, basically, each half step up from a note is that note's freq times the twefth root of 2, and each half step down from a note is the frew divided by the twelfth root of 2 (approximatley, that's why you recalibrate with each A, because it gets off a small amount, so if you go from A4 to A5 using just 12throot2 the it would come out to be 879.99, or something like that).
Shaun
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I tried the program in VTI and heard nothing; so it's SE-only, eh? Well, I do have an SE, and a do have a 2.5mm <-> 3.5mm adapter, however I don't have headphones to plug into that, and my PC speakers don't have an amp so it's near impossible to hear anything from a calc. *sigh*
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

mine works perfectly =D I made the adapter myself.
Life is getting better.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Why would I calculate each note? So far I've just been using a table of frequencys and trying to get the timers as close as I can to the actual frequency and I had to do this by hand.
Say B 5 has a frequency 987.7666... so I want 1975.5332 (ouch) but the timer clock runs at 32768hz I have to divide that to get the desire frequency. So 32768 / 17 = 1927.529, thats the closest I could really get.
But obviously the higher frequencies are harder to emulate, A3 I need 440hz to play, so 32768/74= 442.810, thats not to bad. :?

But what can expect coming from a calc, no sound hard ware, no DAC, no nothing. You would think TI would be allittle more considerate. :roll:

Anyway as far as the format goes it's using the exact same thing as calcmod. Only the include altered for my needs. though notes take 2 bytes instead of 1, I could have it so that they only take 1 but for speed I think this is better. I think the fact the sound could easliy be ported from calcmod gives this a better chance for this to actually have a use.

Hmmm... didn't someone make the mario theme on the UTI board(i don't), perhaps a directors cut of ducks mario is in order :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

--------------------

Ahhh, just as I was bout to post i see DarkAuron post. NO headphones, really. Hmmm... I had mine hook up to my TV, sounded nice. but then you need a RCA to 3.5mm converter for your 2.5mm -> 3.5mm :P
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Hmm I always thought interrupts wouldn't be fast enough for sounds cause the small pauses between them interrupt a tone. It seems that's not the case so great work! If now greyscale can de fused with this we will have the ultimate gaming device.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Adree chea is making an interrupt based grayscale lib but since xLIB use AppBackupScreen and Omnicalc use APD RAM I can'T use it :( . It would shrink down my games size a lot.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Well if it's SE only then theres plenty of ram using the same method i explained. But I think an update to omnicalc would prove faster and less cumbersome.