Not so much a program, as a php script...

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Patori, I hope you don't care, but I started also making something similiar to yours...

I have following idea's:
  • Open Source Programming on all codes (means, everyone can submit a new version of someone else's routine... For example, if CoBB (mastah) see's some unoptimized routine, he could optimize it, and submit it)
  • Different versions. To make sure that nothing is lost when submitting a new version of a routine, the old one is saved aswell. The author of the new one, may described what he changed
  • Rating (as suggested)
  • Experience for users. Users who rate/submit a lot, will raise their exp and therefor their level
  • Of course a good search function
  • A source-view option and a routine-view option. When selecting the source-view, you'll see the whole source including comments and everything, routine-view will give a similiar view as Timendus program.
  • Routines can be bundled into one library. For example grayscale routines can be bundled into the grayscale library.
maybe we could merge them when they are both finished to get best results.... my data model is something like this atm:

I don't hope you hate me now, cause I kinda stole your idea :oops:

P.s.: I forgot to add 'code source' in the datamodel (tblCode)... I always make the datamodel in Access, cause it's easy to build one, and than rebuild it in MySQL by hand.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Post by the_unknown_one »

Nice kv, but you should make it so the guy whose routine gets updated would be emailed so he knows someone else updated it :)
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

kv83 wrote:Image
There's a little problem with that... If you want to store Code_In, Code_out, Code-Destroys etc. seperately, then the submitters have to comment their source according to a strict set of rules. Or they have to give that info when then upload. Either way, it's a lot of work for the coder when you're writing a large library.

There are two ways around that; one is to leave that work to the maintainer(s) of the website. The other is to try to improve my script to autodetect in's out's and destroy's too...

But I'd vote for a combination of the two :)

Upload source -> Website detects routines, variable etc. as good as possible -> Source&info go to admin -> Admin approves (after changing some errors if neccessary) -> Source&info appear on website
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

The problem with that is that Admins have to research the script to check what the inputs of the routine is (a=the x value, b=the y value for example). This is very time consuming, when not initially given.

I think that every writer of a routine has to know what inputs it needs and outputs it generates. Therefor the in's, out's and detroys (opt.) will have theire own text block which can be used to submit those explanations... rather than searching the source for those tags, it will get those information from seperate textboxs when the source is submitted. Later on, in the source view, the routine-info-box in the source will be commented by the system.

example from DigiTan:

Code: Select all

;------------------------------------------------
;AFBCDEHL       16 by 16                        #
;                                               #
; Draw a 16 by 16 pixel icon                    #
; IN:   HL = points to icon data                #
;       DE = GRAPH_MEM spot to draw icon        #
; OUT:  -nothing-                               #
;------------------------------------------------ 
Also, I don't like the approve thing. The website should maintain it self. Just like sourceforge. Moderator's check routines (in general) afterwards. The rating indicates which routines are good, and which are not.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

* Topic moved to MSN :P

I still think we should have a poll. To find out who's in favour of strict tags in their comments and who's in favour of supplying all the details on the website...
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Yeah,

a short summary of our conversation:
  • we agreed that there should be a feature to indicate relations of different routines
  • We also noticed that it is impossible to automate the process to indicate the in's, out's and destroy's.
  • We still don't know which way is better; A multiple textarea form or tags to indicate the different parts in the source
For those of you, who are intrested :P
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I sat down this morning and changed the data model:

This enables the feature to have routines relationships or dependencies
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

*drops project*.... copies to folder "c:\Programming\Unfinished Projects"
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Aaah... poor guy :D
Should we (read: kv) add you on MSN so you can keep a say in the project?
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Yeah, I would like you to be involved in the project... I already added you to MSN, but you are not often online.... :cry:
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

kv83 wrote:Yeah, I would like you to be involved in the project... I already added you to MSN, but you are not often online.... :cry:
That would be due to my lack of an internet connection... it keeps me slightly suicidal....
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
Stickmanofdoom

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

Sorry to bump this topic, but has there been any progress? I am looking foward to this.
digiTsai

Post by digiTsai »

I could try to do something like this...but I am kinda good in PHP.

Just tell me what to do and I can try. like what do I need to include and stuff

Also, I am kinda confused by your diagram.

Might take me a while.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

digiTsai wrote:I could try to do something like this...but I am kinda good in PHP.

Just tell me what to do and I can try. like what do I need to include and stuff

Also, I am kinda confused by your diagram.

Might take me a while.
that's an standard ERD

... anyway, I am already coding it and talking weekly with timendus how to improve the system and testing it and stuff
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

It's gonna be cool ;)
But we're both busy people (with girlfriends!) so we can't code around the clock :D
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS