[Win32] OLE IDataObject interface (SetData)

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Spencer
Extreme Poster

[Win32] OLE IDataObject interface (SetData)

Post by Spencer »

I figure Cobb or Ben might have some insight into this.

A Windows interface called IDragSourceHelper can draw transparent images during drag and drop. It's what's responsible for transparent icons when you drag column headings or files around in Windows 2000 and up. To get started, it only requires some image information and a pointer to an IDataObject you have implemented.

It uses the IDataObject you implement to store some of its data (it says it does this to be "cross-process"). In Windows, OLE data is stored in a structure called a STGMEDIUM (storage medium), which is really just a type ID and a union of corresponding pointers. IDragSourceHelper requests to store a type called HGLOBAL (which is just a buffer) and IStream, a datatype that's a bit like a FILE. This is where I get confused.

It calls IDataObject::SetData to store these. I've never seen an example SetData implemented before so I really don't know what to do. I can make a copy of the HGLOBAL, but I don't know where to begin to copy an IStream. It's easy to read from an IStream, but I don't know how to create a new one.
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

I've got the solution and it's not as simple as I thought. Refer to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997502.aspx for details.

I can't believe that result was never in the top 50 on google. The result of this, anyway, is

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Congratulations on getting it working (looks good!)

I've never delved into the mysterious, shadowy world of drag and drop (least of all between multiple applications), so sorry I couldn't help earlier.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Your mouse is ugly.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Good job spencer, I guess you just wanted to show the amazing work with the emu and zelda? ^.^