Knights and Merchants mission editor

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

King Harold
Calc King

Knights and Merchants mission editor

Post by King Harold »

Oh yes, a project, and even more amazing: I finished it!

go herefor download

It's nothing fancy, just a basic text editor that imports and exports the .dat script files of knights and merchants, which is after all these years still one of the hardest RTS games I ever played, due to it's extremely fragile economy (if you do anything unbalancing your servants will start dieing and then it's too late to do something about it because they are dead and can't work).

Anyway. Anyone who has the game (you can d/l it for free, otherwise its 5 bucks - mainly for the cover and the cd) can fairly easily make new missions and change existing ones. Most existing missions are commented, but mostly in German.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Oldschool website for that game, but the game itself looks alright.

This is just a text editor? Are the .dat files in any special format or are they just paintext?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

text editor, the .dat file are encoded, that's why you can't just use notepad (unless you'd use my commandline decoder)

edit: update: this useless program now saves your font if you change it because some people complained about it. While I changed that, I got carried away a bit so I reworked enough of the internals to give it a new version number (now 2.0). Yay. Like I said, this program is completely useless, unless you still play Knights and Merchants (which as far as I know no one here does)