[TI ASM] z80 under Linux

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

[TI ASM] z80 under Linux

Post by koolmansam375 »

What do I need to start coding ASM under linux? zasm and bincalc for compiling then tilp for sending the program? What would I use for testing? wine the flash debugger?

Are there any editors like Crimson Editor or Ultra Edit that I can use? KDevelop maybe or am i stuck with pico, emacs, and vim?

Edit kv83:Changed subject.

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Stock response #1435:
Install Windows.

Seriously though, not beeing a Linux man, surely you could use TASM and so on via WINE for the moment? As for editing, emacs usually does the trick for me.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

What's the problem with those editors? For your emulation purposes you should check out TilEm. Assembling can be done with tpasm or anything. Bincalc takes care of the binaries.
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

CoBB wrote:What's the problem with those editors? For your emulation purposes you should check out TilEm. Assembling can be done with tpasm or anything. Bincalc takes care of the binaries.
thx. btw your link to tpasm is wrong. if found the right one on http://www.sqrt.com

also theres nothing wrong with emacs and the other ones. I like the editors that color code the keywords thats all.

@ben: I do have windows installed (or did at least when i was trying to code under it). It kept bitching at me that it couldnt understand what xxxx.exe was.

Pongwars shall live!

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

koolmansam375 wrote:@ben: I do have windows installed (or did at least when i was trying to code under it). It kept bitching at me that it couldnt understand what xxxx.exe was.
What, Windows couldn't work out how to run an EXE? That's... odd, to say the least.
Unless you mean WINE...
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

koolmansam375 wrote:thx. btw your link to tpasm is wrong. if found the right one on http://www.sqrt.com
Yes, I meant this one:

http://paxl.org:2080/~etrangepulpe/linux

Stupid frames...
koolmansam375 wrote:also theres nothing wrong with emacs and the other ones. I like the editors that color code the keywords thats all.
But there IS syntax highlighting in emacs. Even the much more lightweight mcedit has it. Not that it's so important when writing z80 code.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

"Stuck with vim", what a funny statement :) , I code my C plugin engine (currently ~30.000 lines of code with plugins, the C++ version was up to near 100.000 lines) using 4 terminals and vim. Vim got _loads_ of features hidden behind a huge set of commands, the latest one I found a few weeks ago was scriptable (!) folding which folds blocks of text into one line. I had been looking for a decent editor in Linux capable of folding and I have been using vim for years...

Anyway, Gemini was developed totally under Linux. At that time, TilEm was pretty crude compared to VTI with wine, dunno how things are atm. Good thing with Linux is you can install/reinstall without being worried about what the system will do behind your back...
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

I've started using linux fairly regulary in the last few weeks. I'm slowly learning how to do all the things I did in windows,. and I think z80 might be next. =\

what distros are you guys using? (wait...is there already a topic about this?) I'm trying out different ones now. I like Debian alot, but am trying out Ubuntu right now. It's basically Debian for dummies, which I like and hate at the same time. I think in the next few days I'll switch back to sarge though.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

There was a thread, but things have updated ;) Got Debian gcc-3.4 (sid, x86_64 arch) right now, was a pain in pretty much every part of my body to get it to install (I think I have never had a problem-free installation of Debian, worst part was they updated the kernel modules on the servers but did not update the install ISOs, *argh!*). Wonderful distro when installed though, I think this install will stay on my computer for a very, very long time.
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

Here is the idea: find the closest store that sells used hardware, buy a gigabyte harddrive for $5 and install Win 95. then you can do TASM
And yes, I am serious.
Life is getting better.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

$5 for 1GB is a ripoff.
ImageImage
GuillaumeH

Post by GuillaumeH »

Here is how I do :

Emulation
2 possibilities :
* WINE + vti, which was my only way until recently when tilem was released. It works well but I have never liked the fact that it is always on the top ofthe other windows.
* TilEm : it's directly for linux so it's lighter, it works well except for ti-82 emulation, that's why I keep vti.

Syntax coloring
Not essential, but I've made a file that enables syntax highlighting for z80 asm for Kwrite and Kate, it's here.
(See this screenshot).
Sometimes there are editors in which the "assembler" syntax coloring fits quite well (like scite).

Assembling
I use tpasm. To compile it, don't forget the trick from Tijl coosemans/Kalimero. You will also need bin8x. See how I use both of them.

The syntax is a little different from TASM's, so you may want to use TASM with wine (it's not free software thought).

Sending programs to the calc
I've never been lucky with TILP so I use this command-line program called titranz, which only works for TI-83/TI-83+.
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

benryves wrote:
koolmansam375 wrote:@ben: I do have windows installed (or did at least when i was trying to code under it). It kept bitching at me that it couldnt understand what xxxx.exe was.
What, Windows couldn't work out how to run an EXE? That's... odd, to say the least.
Unless you mean WINE...
first it couldnt understand what it was from the batch file, then tasm complained that tabs80 was missing even though its all in the same folder. Either that or correupt by i dont understand that either.

Pongwars shall live!

Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

i say buy a harddrive...
Life is getting better.
kms375

Post by kms375 »

im back in my linux box now

i would buy one but i dont have any money. id just get a new comp anyways. this ones 5 years old.