Win32 Programming

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Win32 Programming

Post by Halifax »

Ok I am just a new budding Win32 API programmer. I am looking for someone who could possibly mentor me because I need serious help and have tried 8 tutorials on the Internet and none of them helped. I need one on one help and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to teach me. I already have an understanding of how to program in Win32 and have already programmed a program.

But I need a lot of more help to get to where I want to be. Please tell me if you are willing to help!!
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

When you say Win32, you don't mean Win32 API for (for example) creating windows and interfaces with it?

If so... why? WinForms is the current best way to work with creating interfaces (though Vista introduces the new WPF model), and even though MFC is an absolute monstrosity even that is probably less of a headache to work with.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I completely agree with Ben, but sometimes some things can be done easily with the win32 api - not many things
And, maybe you should be using C#, atleast I think you're not allready using it since you would almost automatically have used winforms..
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

King Harold wrote:I completely agree with Ben, but sometimes some things can be done easily with the win32 api...
It is a good thing to be aware of how the Win32 works. There are some parts of the Windows API that Microsoft have not yet wrapped, so you occasionally need to drop down to P/Invoke for those. However, for writing a GUI, there is usually very little need to do so.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

not for GUI's no.. but since he didn't say what he's doing with the win32 api anyway..

so Halifax, what are you trying to do anyway?
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Ok this is what I am trying to do. I already have an understanding of resource files and using them makes programming less of a headache but anyways. Basically I am programming a GUI and I have already made a menu(File Edit Open Help etc.) and I have made a push button and textbox. I need to know how GUI programming as in checkboxes,radio buttons, drop down boxes, etc.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Halifax wrote:Ok this is what I am trying to do. I already have an understanding of resource files and using them makes programming less of a headache but anyways. Basically I am programming a GUI and I have already made a menu(File Edit Open Help etc.) and I have made a push button and textbox. I need to know how GUI programming as in checkboxes,radio buttons, drop down boxes, etc.
Autoit will get that for you, very easy to "code" also...It has windows GUI also.