Metroid Game

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

wild8900

Metroid Game

Post by wild8900 »

No name yet...
Being coded on calculator and in Basic. Was going to be a full BASIC game but I was convinced to use xLib half way through -_- so now all my programs have pure in the title... Anyways, the game wont be that long, there about a little more than 16 rooms.
Not much of a story yet, mostly just working on engine and graphics (in math class :D)
Has basic movement and room loading.
Shooting
Morphball
Doors
Destructible blocks
Enemies soon

Sneak Shots:
Finaly got xLib to work pretty good!
All graphics are by me :D

EDIT: Hmmm..... image tags not working....
Last edited by wild8900 on Fri 02 Feb, 2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Bitmap is not compressed so it is not allowed.

Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

threefingeredguy wrote:Bitmap is not compressed so it is not allowed.

Hehe, I see that some of the sprites can be switched between horizontal flip/not horizontal flip to create a grayscale effect :wink:

wild8900, there are many Metroid calculator games out there: You should make something special about yours ie faster character/enemy movement, a rocket launcher, grayscale, etc.
wild8900

Post by wild8900 »

Yes, that would be nice, unfortunately, I would likee to make it faster but I use Basic. I plan to have multiple enemy types and the zoomers will hopefully travel along the walls like on the nes (ive coded it before). Rocket launcher is a good idea, maybe I can take more weapons from metroid. Grayscale... I didnt know it was possible in basic...

Oh and thanks for the fix threefingeredguy
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

grayscale makes things slower though, because it's really just inverting the gray pixels a few times per second, and that takes an extra command in ever loop and also once in a while throughout the rest of the game.
And it usually takes almost 1.5 as much graphics (many sprites can be made so that they can be flipped to create grayscale, usually those sprites have an odd number of rows (odd as opposed to even))
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Hey the early screens are looking COOL! There are a couple of awesome metorid games out written in BASIC, i know this will be right up there ... AWESOME STUFF!!!!! :D.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

King Harold wrote:grayscale makes things slower though, because it's really just inverting the gray pixels a few times per second, and that takes an extra command in ever loop and also once in a while throughout the rest of the game.
And it usually takes almost 1.5 as much graphics (many sprites can be made so that they can be flipped to create grayscale, usually those sprites have an odd number of rows (odd as opposed to even))
Really? I thought most sprites that can be flipped to make greyscale have an even number of pixel width :? .
I only said some of the sprites in the screenshots can be flipped, like the lava one on the bottom of the screen. Now, if only tr1p would create a vertical flip function in xLib...<_<
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

Flipping? That is horridly bad for greyscale. Greyscale in BASIC is best to use a mas to invert a few selected pixels repeatedly, thus creating a grey effect. I had a greyscale Metroid engine that was complete, but alas, my calc tanked badly due to a freaky Ion incident, and it was lost
ImageImage
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

forget greyscale, just make a metriod game with upgrades and a decent FPS :roll:. oh, and lots of exploring :D .
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

wild8900

Post by wild8900 »

Thanks for the comments you guys. Oh and if you were wondering, that section that you see in the screens is part of a space pirate minning complex. I plan to make machinery tiles and such if I have enough space on the tileset. Also, the deeper you go in the game, the more... eh... I dont know how to say this.... It gets more alien-like, less uniform, like caves. Btw, Ive decided there will be 4 weapon upgrades:
(start out with short beam)
Long beam expansion
Wave Beam
Plasma Beam
Missile Launcher

Monsters that I am programing include:
Zoomers (might kill too many frames)
Metroids (Near the end of game)
Mocktroids (the weak metroids)
Skrees (those things that fall on you)
Space Pirates (will be able to walk and shoot at you hopefully without taking too many frames)

Btw, how do you tell the frame rate without guessing?
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
King Harold wrote:grayscale makes things slower though, because it's really just inverting the gray pixels a few times per second, and that takes an extra command in ever loop and also once in a while throughout the rest of the game.
Really? I thought most sprites that can be flipped to make greyscale have an even number of pixel width :? .
I only said some of the sprites in the screenshots can be flipped, like the lava one on the bottom of the screen. Now, if only tr1p would create a vertical flip function in xLib...<_<
Sorry theres no lava in my screens yet but soon :P I was thinking of redoing the floor tiling to be less confusing.
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

Sorry theres no lava in my screens yet but soon Razz I was thinking of redoing the floor tiling to be less confusing.
Well, it looks like lava
Flipping? That is horridly bad for greyscale. Greyscale in BASIC is best to use a mas to invert a few selected pixels repeatedly, thus creating a grey effect. I had a greyscale Metroid engine that was complete, but alas, my calc tanked badly due to a freaky Ion incident, and it was lost
forget greyscale, just make a metriod game with upgrades and a decent FPS Rolling Eyes. oh, and lots of exploring Very Happy .
All right, I will finally have to agree with no grayscale, but then at least have a high frame rate per second so Samus can move and shoot fast *Stares at Metroid Pure, Metroid II: Evolution, and Metroid v1.1
wild8900

Post by wild8900 »

keep in mind that this is being made in basic....
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

With all that, the framerate will plummit on the 83+ and be managable at best on the 84+. I'd suggest getting a good game engine, fast and reliable, then tinkering with it
ImageImage
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Btw, how do you tell the frame rate without guessing?
well, on the 84 I usually get the time in seconds first, store it, run the program in a random way which having each frame increasing a counter, then I get the time and subtract the old time, then divide the framecount by the time it took. It will always be a tiny bit lower than usual because of the updating the framecount.

Expressions like X+1->X take around 8 milliseconds (which is NOT accurate, its in 2 milliseconds accurate, X+1 withOUT storing takes 2 milliseconds less)
wild8900

Post by wild8900 »

Heh small updates. Ive created more of the maps and added a few cool things like aiming/shooting up. Also has destructible blocks :D