The Massacre

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

threefingeredguy it was just a joke O.o

Anyways blood and gore is not going to be the only thing that massacre has. Massacre will include an extensive list of quests and battle enemies along with many items that can be picked up based on a weight system(instead of a how much your backpack can hold style). So you can pick to progress in the game with quests and higher your rankings onto domination or you could just go around killing monsters. Your choice.
snowman_hater

Post by snowman_hater »

Sorry about the Harry Potter Sprite :x . We will soon have our finished 16x16 sprites written. here is an updated screenshot that includes my scrolling routine (yeah its choppy looking cuz it scrolls 1 byte at a time, but we were hoping to keep speed to a max, and to get some sort of scrolling/tilemapping routine off the ground). Also, the final map will be huge: a 96x96 tilemap of 8x8 tiles (73728 pixels total). The final game will include 256 different usable tiles, and you will be able to make your own maps.

PS: RAM space is very limited for our project (the large tilemaps are 9k apiece, and we need to copy contents of archived progs into part of the running prog w/o actually unarchiving the source prog),so any one with knowledge in manipulating the FLASH memory your help will be greatly appreciated,
THX
snowman_hater (Jon Martin)
check out our website:
http://psugen.freehostia.com
Last edited by snowman_hater on Fri 05 Jan, 2007 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
snowman_hater

Post by snowman_hater »

eh, it is actually 589824 total pixels in a full tilemap, not 73728.
My bad.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

look here

that's the 83+ rom call guide. There's a rom call called _findsym or _chkfindsym, i forget exactly, but that can be used to find external files.

the other method is to use iondetect, which is probably described in MOS developer info and ion guru

These routines will give you the tools to write a file i/o system.

keep in mind if it's archived, you have to add some # to the pointer returned by _findsym to get to the actual data. Reading from ROM is no problem.
Image Image Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

you should alsof consider compression... :)
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Yea kv83 we have already looked into compression and in fact made a compression routine for sprite masks that reduces size a fair number
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

You could try just having the map move beneath the character when he reaches a certain coordinate on the screen rather than shifting the screen and the character...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

chickendude wrote:You could try just having the map move beneath the character when he reaches a certain coordinate on the screen rather than shifting the screen and the character...
Would be faster also I think, it seems that way after you take away the math of moving both.
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Yes it has actually been done a week ago ;) and it does move way faster. I just haven't got around to posting a screenshot of it :( maybe this weekend
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

so, hows this progressing? Will we see any screenies (or is snowman_hater working on this with you)?
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Yes you should see some updates up around at the end of this week with smooth scrolling and a search camera that I am currently working on. Maybe some more NPC stuff will be in the screenshot too although I don't know you will just have to see
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

cool, thanks for the help with asm btw. Good luck on this.
snowman_hater

Post by snowman_hater »

so, hows this progressing? Will we see any screenies (or is snowman_hater working on this with you)?
Not anymore, it is just Halifax now, although I will be eager to see how it turns out.
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Here's a little update more later on tonight though

anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

the character sprite is iffy...doesn't seem to belong to the same game you described above.
I think, therefore iMac