INVASION!!

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

King Harold
Calc King

INVASION!!

Post by King Harold »

This is'nt normal anymore, could we change the sign-in form again? would it even help?
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Expensive.

Crap.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Nope. And I'm sure a professional developer such as KV83 can afford it.

PhpBB is the worst kind of crap you could possibly get, so something else being crap doesn't mean it's not a step upwards.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

those invision things arent that bad..

KV will think of something
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Spammers suck. Any message board system will get them, even punbb.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

couldnt we just auto-ban everyone who says something like "pissing chicks" or "orgasms", those are bad on itself, but only a spammer would seriously use them. (I hope!)
is that possible?
and auto-remove their post ofcourse
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

we'll stick with phpbb. as dwedit said, spammers are on every board, we can only try to "block" them with different mods.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Well yeah if that's your attitude then that's all you can do.

Or you could get some proper forum software that can't be easily exploited with a 5 minute google search to take down your whole database (lolphp).

Or if you're unwilling to learn from past mistakes (how manyeth MC board is this again?) you could think of why not every forum has spam bots on it and spend some time implementing it.
Last edited by hop on Tue 26 Dec, 2006 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

But hey, let's see. forum has been around for 2 years. Seems good to me. I don't like your attitude at all btw.

Also past mistakes (wtf?) have nothing to do with the choice of forum. But hey, it's ok if you just talk bullshit... apparantly you don't know better.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Nope. And I'm sure a professional developer such as KV83 can afford it.
If he could afford that why not just get vBulletin, which is a FAR better bulletin board system than Invision Power is. (Yes, I've used both)
PhpBB is the worst kind of crap you could possibly get, so something else being crap doesn't mean it's not a step upwards.
Oh, make no mistake, I hate phpBB just as much as I hate SMF. But that doesn't mean SMF is better.
...you could think of why not every forum has spam bots on it and spend some time implementing it.
I'm not sure why you think other forums have some magical protection against spammers, but they don't - UnitedTI uses IPB, still gets plagued by spambots.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

2 whole years of nobody being enough of a bored loser to actually fill kvince83.tengun.net/maxboard/ into the first results for scripts on google. Again. I guess that's a security strategy too.. bore them with ease so they eventually just don't bother any more? Hey, if it works for myspace... (passwords anyone?)

Or was this "statistic" ment to be proof that this is actually secure and it's not anyone's guess if the whole thing is gone today or tomorrow?

And here I was thinking that required code, configuration, and protocol analyses'. Oh hey, I just thought of 2 blatant erors in these fields for the scenario directly related to this topic. PHPBB and reactive security management.

Oh my, the direct reason for this very topic is a consequence of both of these, but never mind that because as long as we can still be spammed here after being hacked numerous times and finally scraping together 2 years of up/downtime we can say it's working just fine.

I don't care about my or your attitude. All I'm saying is what the consequences are of using software in line with such an attitude as yours towards security. And I'm not wrong there regardless of my attitude. Whatever that is.
why not just get vBulletin
You shouldn't be asking me that, I'm all for it.
Oh, make no mistake, I hate phpBB just as much as I hate SMF. But that doesn't mean SMF is better.
Oh how sensible an argument hate makes in software choices, doesn't it?
I'm not sure why you think other forums have some magical protection against spammers, but they don't
I don't. There's no magic to it. That's why people are able to make a living out of ict security management.
UnitedTI still gets plagued by spambots.
Actually, nope, just took a while to emplace a proactive solution because not everybody has the free time to go on their barely functioning forum and call others clueless about web development.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

If you seriously care about the security of the site, write some custom anti-bot mods that only Maxcoderz uses so that they don't become widespread and breakable. Revsoft did that and it worked for a while until manually-registered bot owners added our new security measure to their stuff.

If you are worried about your own security then get the fuck out.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

A negative attitude convinces no one. Therefore your argument is invalid. This topic is closed now.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194