Rainbow Six: Red Dawn-DEAD

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Rainbow Six: Red Dawn-DEAD

Post by Floodkiller »

Ok, I have now thought of what my game is going to be about. All I did was brainstorm each option given, and found that I could think through the most with Rainbow Six.

Instead of using a first-person shooter format, which would be extremely difficult to emulate on a calculator considering the advancedness of the game, it will be a turn-based strategy. The reason it is not real-time strategy is that any normal person wouldn't have barely enough time to aim their weapon before they were shot and killed by the AI. Instead, the player will move with their squad on a points-based action system, then when each action is marked for all characters, the game will commence an action scene that uses the commands given to the normal characters and the AI and putting it into something that looks like real action instead of piece by piece turn-based stuff.

Of course, it wouldn't be a Rainbow Six game without a advanced AI for your squad, so one of my parts will have to be to get the squad to think for itself when performing actions instead of the player telling exactly where each member should go, while the player can still tell their squad a basic idea of where to go. The squad AI, with a few changes, could also be converted to how the enemy AI will proceed to counter attack. I could also offer a hard difficulty for players that wish to take full control over their squad and not just one player.

So far, I have the xLib sprite and tilemapping down well, since it wasn't that different from a normal display of things in a graphical ASCII game, just extra commands to state how to display the graphics. Next I have to learn how to scroll the tilemap, which then I can proceed to actually coding out the gameplay.
Last edited by Floodkiller on Fri 02 Feb, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

come up with an idea before posting next time? -jk

how about a half life rpg

@ignorant fool below: he didn't at the time
Last edited by necro on Wed 13 Dec, 2006 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Necro, you are an awful poster. He has already posted 2 ideas.
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

See the first post now, I have found an idea for the project.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Scrolling is easy, change the offset (be sure to include a check that the offset does not make an undefined part of the map visible, it looks weird)
animated tiles are also easy, the fastest way is having 2 matrices and alternating between them (have a variable and not( is every game-tick, and use "variable+1" as matrix specifier, be sure to store either 1 or zero is in when the game starts)
ofcourse you allready knew this, just reminding you ;)
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Ok, I have learned all the basics that are set out in the xLib tutorial, and am now going to start making the various parts of the game.

First off, I am going to make a cursor that will be used as the getKey like thing. Next, I have to place a unit and move him by using the cursor to select him, tell him where to go, and have a turn end in which action is then performed. I will probably have to learn how to do the pathfinding routine for movement.

Also, I am going to put out a submission for a sprite sheet of characters because I have learned that if I am not good at normal art, then an 8x8 pixel rendition of a terrorist is a stickfigure :P.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

xDarkFirex

Post by xDarkFirex »

So, I'm guessing thta the game will be made in basic. You said your using xlib. Since it can't be FPS will it be in isometric? How's your story line so far? Hmm... to many questions. Well I think it has potential if you can at least get a demo out. I look forwart to it.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Who might you be..?
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

xDarkFirex wrote:So, I'm guessing thta the game will be made in basic. You said your using xlib. Since it can't be FPS will it be in isometric? How's your story line so far? Hmm... to many questions. Well I think it has potential if you can at least get a demo out. I look forwart to it.
Ok, first question: I don't think it will be isometric because 1) it would take far beyond the art skills I possess, and I only wish to have help with characters, not the entire rest of the game graphics. 2) Because isometric in black and white would be very hard to make without graphics mixing, and greyscale in xLib is very hard to get down pat, I can only do splash screens right now with it.

Second question: Storyline wise, I already am writing down bits and pieces and trying to put something together that really has a plot to it, but I don't wish to release any "spoilers" to it yet.

And unless you have more questions, I am questioning your response of having too many questions :P.

By the way, as Timendus said:
Timendus wrote:Who might you be..?
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

ARRRGHHH!!!! A* is much harder in BASIC than I originally thought. It still runs into a bug that wants it to run through an object rather than take another route that, although the reader displays the same amount of obstacles, leads in the right direction that will then tell the calculator a new route around the obstacle. But the calc wants to take either route. I am going insane over this :(
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I had a bug in it that allways lost the way and wanted to run around objects :P
good luck
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Do you think that I could have a copy of your pathfinding routine so that I could figure out what is wrong with mine? So far I have wasted 5 math classes trying to bust this bug and I still can't work around it.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

The game is being changed from a top down turn based strategy to a 2D side scrolling action game, due to the fact that the pathfinding routine is just too hard for me to figure out.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Ok, I have level scrolling and backgrounds worked out, as well as a minor zoom that shifts the screen in whatever the current direction you are looking in. I haven't gotten major zoom down yet, but I am working on it. I also plan to readjust the minor zoom so that you can do it in 8 directions according to where you point your gun.

Anyways, if I manage to get one of the two things above done, it will be in the screeny I will attempt to make during the weekend, else it will just be what I have created so far. Right now, though, I am just making an outline for the school, which will be part of the demo for the program I will be making (it will also be the first mission in the game), and will hopefully be a successful test of the engine when it is complete.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

This project has died. Can't seem to figure out a decent way to make the game unrepetitive in a 2-D sidescroller.

There isn't much done with the engine, and what is done with it won't serve anyone too much good, so I won't release it.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%