Strange Calculator glitch caused by Basic program

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Strange Calculator glitch caused by Basic program

Post by CompWiz »

I was running OregonX(an oregon trail game in BASIC) through CrunchyOS today, when it crashed. Due to CrunchyOS's features, it did not clear the RAM. It simply told me when I started it that "temp files were cleared out". When I started the game again, it ran very quickly. Like, 2 or 3 times the normal speed. After quitting, I tried to run super Mario version 2, and the opening screen was garbled. When I started a game(by pushing 2nd a couple times) the game was garbled, with random parts of tiles strewn across the screen. I quit out of mario, and ran the LCD fix program. After that, everything worked fine. OregonX ran at normal speed, and mario had no problem. I'm just curious as to how a basic program managed to do this. Could some one explain it to me? :puzzled:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

It wasn't really a basic program fault, Chruchy doesn't fully support basic games. The temp files cleared thing may have reset the LCD fix settings I would guess.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Running Basic programs from apps is very problematic, I might just kill off that feature from the next crunchyos (assuming I make one).
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

But why would the game run super-fast after the glitch happened? Also, my calculator didn't need the LCD fix, it worked fine with all the problematic games when I first got it(unlike my last one). It would have had to set a different LCD value that messed things up. Resetting it to default wouldn't have done it.

@Dwedit: This is the first real problem I've had with running basic programs from Crunchy(other than that they run a bit slower). It's a lot more convenient to run them from Crunchy than to have to unarchive, use, then rearchive each time I want to use one. You could make it as an option though, to disable showing BASIC programs in Crunchy's program menu. But I'd appreciate it if you kept it, even if it doesn't always work perfectly.

And I hope you do decide to make another version of Crunchy. I wouldn't use anything else, becuase of the anti-ram clear and anti-program corruption it does. I hated it in Mirage when a program would get corrupted, and clear the ram. Also, the rarity of Garbage Collects is a nice contrast to Mirage's constant ones.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

CompWiz wrote:And I hope you do decide to make another version of Crunchy. I wouldn't use anything else, becuase of the anti-ram clear and anti-program corruption it does. I hated it in Mirage when a program would get corrupted, and clear the ram. Also, the rarity of Garbage Collects is a nice contrast to Mirage's constant ones.
Ditto
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

CrunchyOs needs Folders!!! :D
I do love the anti corruption/anti garbage options, but I neeeeed folders!
:P
Life is getting better.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Well, according to Gmail, folders are obsolete. Labels and a good search engine are all you need now. :D
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Probably because GMail doesn't support IMAP (which has support for folders and searching anyway), only lousy POP3, and so does its own kludgy thing on top of it. ;)

Folders are good.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, I'd have to agree. It would be nice if gmail had folders.