Snow!

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Snow!

Post by CompWiz »

Well, I've had an interesting weekend. Buffalo, NY weather being strange as always decided that last thursday would be a great time to have a big snowstorm. It managed to catch the city and surrounding areas off guard as weather forcasts predicted the storm to hit the next day. Also, since trees still had leaves, the snow managed to take down something like half of the tree branches in the area, knocking out power to over 400,000 homes in the process, including mine. In fact, the power wire going to my house was ripped right off of the side of the house where it connects to by our maple tree. During the time the power was off, we fortunately had an old sears 1300 watt generator. We simply plugged it into a wall plug in the garage with a male-to-male plug, and powered the whole house. Being an old generator, it didn't have any circuit breaker or fuse, so you didn't have to worry about anything when plugging things in. It would just slow down with higher loads, unlike newer ones which have circuit breakers that pop if you try to plug more in. We ran two refrigerator/freezers, a chest freezer, a toaster oven, a microwave, our sump pump, heater, house lights, and naturally, my computer(but not the microwave or toaster oven at the same time as other stuff). In fact, on sunday we even ran our washing machine and (gas)clothes dryer. Each day the power was out, we, along with the 3 other people with generators on our street, had to run extension cords and the generator around to other people's houses to keep their basements from flooding. Fortunately, the power company managed to get our power back yesterday. Unfortunately, the cable going to my house for internet was ripped out of the socket on the wire going behind my house, and it has still not been fixed. I'm posting from my university right now(which was closed friday through monday). In fact, the school district my brother and sister go to has been canceled all week. Talk about a long weekend. The driving ban in the area(that everyone ignored) was lifted tuesday.

Here are my pictures of the snow for your viewing pleasure. :)
(click for larger size)

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

just to note, these were taken on saturday, after the snow had stopped falling and it had begun to melt a bit. I'll post more showing the tree damage in a bit.

As a side note, the ImageShack toolbar is really handy. :D
Last edited by CompWiz on Wed 18 Oct, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Ive never even touched snow before :(.

I should go to a snowy area one winter.

Kind of dangerous pushing a generator like that isnt it?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Hey, it worked. And it even had a built-in radiator and fan so it wouldn't overheat.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

We get about 1/2 inch of snow once a year.
Last edited by threefingeredguy on Thu 19 Oct, 2006 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

the photos are nice. I like the juxtaposition of green on white
Image Image Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

heh :P reminds me of this:
http://kvince83.tengun.net/maxboard/vie ... 96&start=0
tr1p1ea wrote:Ive never even touched snow before :(.
tr1p1ea some months ago wrote:I probably shouldnt re-iterate ... but i have never actually touched snow before in my life o_o.
Poor fellar... how 'bout we have the first maxcoderz meeting in a snowy area? ;)
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

go climbing in the moutains or something :) That's a fun way to see some snow
Image Image Image
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

Why can't there be good snow in central texas?! It's just now starting to get cold here...which is around the 60's right now. Yay heat.
I think, therefore iMac
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Green trees with snow :P
Never seen that before (well, coniferous ones, but not trees with leafes)
Good luck with your internet
tr1p1ea wrote:Ive never even touched snow before
It's cold and wet, not something you'll love touching.
And its defenitly no fun cycling 10km through it just for school (which is what I do in our winter..) once I even had to wear sunglasses to prevent the snow from getting into my eyes which it seemed to be doing on purpose.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

We had quite a bit of snow last winter. Made some pictures and posted them on UTI, too.

Snow is just crystallized ice particles, nothing great.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Snow is just crystallized ice particles, nothing great.
You have no sense of imagination.

I got to see snow on my birthday, in June. We were up in some mountains for a road trip. It was really cool. (no pun intended, but it's ok to laugh anyway.)

-gamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

snow is great... as long as it's outside and you're inside :)
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Snow is always win. The more the better.

Outside at night with snow... win.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, I remember that. But that was snow in march. That's common here. Snow in the middle of October, expecially in large quantities is very rare.

And this isn't the only way Buffalo weather is weird. Last year in february(usually the middle of the winter season, and very cold), temps went up to 70 degrees for a week. I could go on.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

ohio gets snow, last year we had something like that around here except it was an ice storm...no power for a week or so