Virus

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

leofox wrote:it wouldn't be too hard to write a little program that can split large programs in 10MB rar files (probably already exists) ...
Indeed, when creating an archive in WinRAR, you can specify what size chunks you want the archive to be split into. Most other archive tools have a similar option. Useful for moving larger files around on floppies!
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

But damn slow :P
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Well, Vista will be shipping on 3,405 floppies. ;)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

benryves wrote:Well, Vista will be shipping on 3,405 floppies. ;)
I hope that was a joke :P I remember installing Windows 95 - about 60 floppies. It was a disaster :( I think floppy 30 or so was broken after a time, only making it more frustrating :P
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

It wouldn't be more than an hour's work to write an interface to backup files of any size through e-mail using "split" archives (rar, zip, tarball, whatever) as leofox described, even with it's own internal/blind account creation to get past the account limit so all you'd have to do is give it a data object of any size to backup. For free.

It would upload at the same speed (that of your internet connection) and to a much more trustworthy place using a much more trustworthy method.

For free. In fact, you could sell it. ??? profit.
cnet

inquirer
No.

Also, does your ISP allow you to use terrabytes worth of bandwith? If so, get a cheaper ISP and buy some x TB RAID 5 setups from the money you save. Double speed, instant backup.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

I must agree with arcane on the cnet and inquirer count.

US ISPs generally don't have a data transfer/mo. limit, just a speed/unit time (aka kbps) limit, so that second point is moot.
ImageImage
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

No. Bandwidth is also speed of data transfer over time, regardless of the most appealing marketed measurement (seconds, hours, months, years, whatever) of this. It's the exact same limit but measured over a different time.

Your ISP has not accounted for maximum use on it's lines. And it can not without losing business advantages unless in some cases when it's for commercial application of it's services (not private/residential). Hence, you'll get a nice e-mail or phone call telling you to upgrade or quit it.

If you even have high enough bandwidth over your connection to "backup" fast enough before your data dies. Let's say you want to back up your data overnight.. that's 12 hours maximum for 1 TerraByte of data. You'd need a constant ~200MBps upload connection. That's Bytes, not bits. Chances are, unless you have server grade hardware at home, like AT LEAST dual-Gigabit ethernet interfaces and cables and routers your LAN connection can't even do that.

Do you have any idea how long this takes on conventional connections? How limited you would be in your amount of backed-up data per night? Per month even?

And that's not even counting the costs for such a nice connection and LAN + client PC hardware architecture.

You're not telling me that that + 45 / year is less than buying a harddrive for $100 and throwing everything you've got on it in a couple of minutes.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

So, where can you get a 1TB hard drive for $100? The best hard drive deal I've seen lately is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 400gb for $84. Is there some source for huge but cheap hard drives that I haven't heard about?

And what you said in your last post just proves my point about how impractical gmail is as a backup. I would have to back up my entire computer each time I wanted to back up. It would take a very long time.

Carbonite, however, only uploads changed or new files after the initial backup is finished. So, even with a relatively slow broadband connection, they can keep your backup current.

As for my internet, it's just the basic cable internet around here. There's no limit, but it's not all that fast, expecially for uploading(something like 3mb/s downloading, 760mb/s uploading. That's pretty much as fast as it gets for residential internet around here. We don't have all the fiber optic high speed stuff like in Europe or Japan.) I can download or upload as much as I want without any problem. I can't pay less for some other internet company, because currently, Time Warner cable is the only company that provides high speed internet in my area.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

CompWiz wrote:So, where can you get a 1TB hard drive for $100? The best hard drive deal I've seen lately is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 400gb for $84. Is there some source for huge but cheap hard drives that I haven't heard about?
1TB drives aren't on the market you could get to yet, let alone $100, no.
And what you said in your last post just proves my point about how impractical gmail is as a backup. I would have to back up my entire computer each time I wanted to back up. It would take a very long time.

Carbonite, however, only uploads changed or new files after the initial backup is finished. So, even with a relatively slow broadband connection, they can keep your backup current.
Wrong, you can easily only upload changes, however small. You could even break up the packets to minimize bandwidth use to sizes of a couple of bytes if you wanted to. All it takes is checking a single number per file. But if you want everything backed up you'll have to upload everything, wether you're using your carbonite or a better method, eventually.
There's no limit
A speed limit is a limit. Don't you get it? Connection speed = transfer rate / time = bandwidth.
We don't have all the fiber optic high speed stuff like in Europe or Japan.
Fibre optic is big in the US too. Very big. You should learn what you're talking about sometime.
I can download or upload as much as I want without any problem.
Wrong. You can't up- or download more than your subscribed connection is set up to handle. That's a limit and you can't go past that. That's the _hard_ limit (though the physical cables can cope with more, you're hard throttled to your subscribed speed). The soft limit comes up when they don't like your long term bandwidth use in the form of "$$$ or gtfo".
I can't pay less for some other internet company, because currently blabla i cant read "if".
IF you have a connection capable of uploading your data fast enough to be able to upload your initial backup of data or subsequent large collections or it's total amount THEN you would be cheaper off spending the money for the connection on a harddrive. Based on the knowledge that you obviously do not need such a connection.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Hey arcane.. you know you can remove the soft-limit dont you? it isnt even too hard, but chances are that "they" will just shut your internet down (they were nice to me and just re-enabled their limit, they didn't bother even to mail me about it)
Also, there has been a 1TB harddisk on the marked for 2 years (yes 2 years), it used to be €1000 (expensive? just a bit more expensive then normal 200GB harddisks) and I'll bet it's cheaper now. (it's external, but with 2 high-speed USB connectors)

And did you know there is a very small internet company in the netherlands which sets it speed limit by using a little unencrypted ini file which sits on your harddisk? Great fun (but you'll need a faster LAN adaptor to make full use of it)
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Wow, and here I was thinking I knew what I was talking about. Oh wait, I do.

The soft-limit I was reffering to in my post is the inactively enforced gross bandwidth limit that, in sensible places such as Europe is actually used in marketing as well, causing Americans to think their interwebs is unlimited(tm). Not the hardware or physical limits, which coinciding with their realistic attributes, have a linguistic term referring to them as "hard". The having network managers notice your use patterns and call or e-mail you as if they where sentient beings capable of making an informed decision that would allow them to run a profitable business.

Ie. "hi we noticed you're leeching like a freak, cut it off or buy our better subscription".

Removing this softlimit is called buying a better subscription or cutting a deal. Not tampering with hardware causing the previously mentioned monitors to cut your entire connection off.

TB harddisks have been around for ages, as your google skills no doubt showed you. But I disctinctly said they wheren't on any markets he could get to. Then again, the boundaries of stupidity and marketing coupled together in what we call "free market" never ceases to amaze me.

However, your indication of 200GB harddrives' costs is way off or my judge of time-context in your post is a little off. I got a 250GB 8mb cache drive just 2 weeks ago for 60 euros. 1000 euro's today would get you a... wow a TB or two depending on the other properties of the drive.

Also, the LAN adapater doesn't neccecarily have to be faster if you already have one that is fast enough. Like hexa-gigabit ethernet.

bye now
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Arcane WIzard wrote:
CompWiz wrote:So, where can you get a 1TB hard drive for $100? The best hard drive deal I've seen lately is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 400gb for $84. Is there some source for huge but cheap hard drives that I haven't heard about?
I know that. Exactly why what you said was so rediculous:
Arcane WIzard wrote:You're not telling me that that + 45 / year is less than buying a harddrive for $100 and throwing everything you've got on it in a couple of minutes.
Why do you suggest buying a hard drive for $100 and putting all my data on it? First of all, you claim that 1tb hard drives don't even exist in the normal consumer market. Secondly, while they do, they cost much more than $100. So, it would take years of the Carbonite subscription fee to pay for backup hard drives. And these backup hard drives can also fail, so the backup cost for this method could increase further.
There's no limit
A speed limit is a limit. Don't you get it? Connection speed = transfer rate / time = bandwidth.
Arcane WIzard wrote:No. Bandwidth is also speed of data transfer over time, regardless of the most appealing marketed measurement (seconds, hours, months, years, whatever) of this. It's the exact same limit but measured over a different time.

Your ISP has not accounted for maximum use on it's lines. And it can not without losing business advantages unless in some cases when it's for commercial application of it's services (not private/residential). Hence, you'll get a nice e-mail or phone call telling you to upgrade or quit it.
I can download or upload as much as I want without any problem.
Wrong. You can't up- or download more than your subscribed connection is set up to handle. That's a limit and you can't go past that. That's the _hard_ limit (though the physical cables can cope with more, you're hard throttled to your subscribed speed). The soft limit comes up when they don't like your long term bandwidth use in the form of "$$$ or gtfo".
I will not get a phone call from my cable company telling me to "quit it." I can download or upload as much as the connection speed allows. My internet doesn't shut off after a certain number of bytes get transfered. It is "unlimited", and it says so in my contract. I've been using it very heavily for a long while now, and I haven't heard anything from them. That was what I was trying to say.
We don't have all the fiber optic high speed stuff like in Europe or Japan.
Fibre optic is big in the US too. Very big. You should learn what you're talking about sometime.
Sure, there's some fibre optic internet connections around, but very rarely do you see a residential fibre optic internet connection. Businesses, sure, but not residential. There was a great special on the PBS station a few weeks ago that was about the net neutraility battle going on, and they talked at length about how there is very, very little really high speed internet available for residential customers in the US. Basically, you can get cable, which runs at about 3mb/s, DSL, which runs at cable speed or less, or Dial Up. You can't get a 20mb/s connection, while in other parts of the world you can easily get 50 - 100mb/s connections, or more. Cable and phone companies have been promising this higher speed broadband internet for years, but really have very little to show. I recorded the net neutrality special on DVD, so if you(or anyone else) wants to see it, I can rip it onto my computer and upload it to you.
I can't pay less for some other internet company, because currently blabla i cant read "if".
IF you have a connection capable of uploading your data fast enough to be able to upload your initial backup of data or subsequent large collections or it's total amount THEN you would be cheaper off spending the money for the connection on a harddrive. Based on the knowledge that you obviously do not need such a connection.
Hmm, well, I can either pay for my cable connection, or go back to dial up. Those are my choices. There isn't even DSL available, so I don't really have a choice. And you know, I use my cable internet connection for more than just backup. Also, and this is probably the most important: my dad pays for it. :mrgreen:
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Arcane WIzard wrote:However, your indication of 200GB harddrives' costs is way off or my judge of time-context in your post is a little off. I got a 250GB 8mb cache drive just 2 weeks ago for 60 euros. 1000 euro's today would get you a... wow a TB or two depending on the other properties of the drive.
Note what I said(and this is my original posted text. This was not edited. I don't know where you got 200gb from)
Note: 400gb. Not 200gb. And why would I spend 1000(more than 1000 in us$) on backup hard drives? You seems to forget: Hard drives fail. This includes backup hard drives. So, I'd end up having to replace more and more as time went on. So, this would cost like 20 times the amount of using carbonite. You don't think that's a bad price? As it is, I don't even have an extra $1000 to do this with, so no, this isn't even practical at all for me.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

I remember seeing an external 1TB harddrive (well it was really 4x256GB in a cute case) for around 400$. Prices may have dropped too. I'd prefer that over a shady site anytime ;).

At the moment I prefer DVDs though, they sure are the cheapest option. And at 4,7GB an hour or so, it sure is faster than my upspeed (0.064 * 3600 = ~225MB, even at max) xD.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

CompWiz wrote:
Arcane WIzard wrote:
I know that. Exactly why what you said was so rediculous:
Arcane WIzard wrote:You're not telling me that that + 45 / year is less than buying a harddrive for $100 and throwing everything you've got on it in a couple of minutes.
Why do you suggest buying a hard drive for $100 and putting all my data on it? First of all, you claim that 1tb hard drives don't even exist in the normal consumer market. Secondly, while they do, they cost much more than $100. So, it would take years of the Carbonite subscription fee to pay for backup hard drives. And these backup hard drives can also fail, so the backup cost for this method could increase further.
I didn't say consumer market, I said any market you could reach.
I will not get a phone call from my cable company telling me to "quit it." I can download or upload as much as the connection speed allows. My internet doesn't shut off after a certain number of bytes get transfered. It is "unlimited", and it says so in my contract. I've been using it very heavily for a long while now, and I haven't heard anything from them. That was what I was trying to say.
Ooh he has a contract that he can continue his "heavy use" on his 3mbps DSL line. lol. learn how ISPs work so you can re-evaluate your own opinion. I'm tired of it.
Sure, there's some fibre optic internet connections around, but very rarely do you see a residential fibre optic internet connection. Businesses, sure, but not residential. There was a great special on the PBS station a few weeks ago that was about the net neutraility battle going on, and they talked at length about how there is very, very little really high speed internet available for residential customers in the US.
Ooh wow you watched a tv show. Good for you.
Note what I said(and this is my original posted text. This was not edited. I don't know where you got 200gb from)
Didn't you notice somebody else posted something? No wonder you pay for an online backup service over 768kbps.
I remember seeing an external 1TB harddrive (well it was really 4x256GB in a cute case) for around 400$. Prices may have dropped too. I'd prefer that over a shady site anytime Wink.
Second hand it might not even be that much more than a $100.
You seems to forget: Hard drives fail. This includes backup hard drives.
And Carbonite's. Try again.
So, I'd end up having to replace more and more as time went on. So, this would cost like 20 times the amount of using carbonite. You don't think that's a bad price? As it is, I don't even have an extra $1000 to do this with, so no, this isn't even practical at all for me.
Plus, with your connection you can't even use that service to the same extend as you could use a harddrive so you'd only need to buy a couple of gigabyte drive every year or the average equivalent there of (one time 200gb for example).

I also like you still ignore that gmail or other email services are free, yet cry about buying a harddrive that isn't more expensive than your internet connection and this shitty service combined.