Virus

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Arcane WIzard wrote:Obviously, with all the ability you've shown. Like paying for an online backup method, being unable to argue against alternatives like freely automated smtp accounts, showing nothing but inexperience and ineptitude in subjects concerning information technology and it's global market, and even being unable to be coherent in your desired use of this technology you're supporting so objectively. And your analysis' of the thread show a huge ability for reading and comprehension.

Obviously I should know you're "pretty good with computer hardware related stuff" by now.
Read: computer hardware related stuff. Like computer components. Need prices for cpu's or graphics cards? I know the street prices off of the top of my head. Want to know which graphics card is faster? I've memorized the performance on quite a few of them. Want to know what's a good price for a certain hard drive? I'll tell you in a second. Hardware related stuff. Not backup programs. Writing a complicated backup program is not hardware related stuff. That's software related stuff. I do some programming, but I'm not all that great at it. I am trying to get better at it, but it seems that I'm not really a natural at it.

Also, keep in mind that I'm an extreeme cheapskate. I have mentioned this before. While buying backup hard drives is more conveinient, it costs more. Also, when those hard drives fail(and chances are, they will), I'll have to get replacements. Again, more money. Compared to the super low price of Carbonite, to me it's simple.
Arcane WIzard wrote:Had you kept your eyes open and realised I actually do tell the truth when I say I know what I'm talking about, and not switched to passive aggresive defense mode to protect your $45 a year investment, you would've shut up when I said you're not getting it instead of continuing to work against your own case.
Ahh, but you also forget that I thuroughly enjoy a good argument. Going through and disproving or disagreeing with each one of your points in your post is fun. I have also mentioned this before. And I still challenge you: Is there a cheaper alternative that doesn't involve signing up for 400 gmail accounts? In fact, I'd say there's a far higher chance of google shutting down those accounts than my Cable company shutting off my cable internet service becuase I used it a lot. So, my backup could just dissapear, taking all the data with it. Great plan, arcane. Any other bright ideas?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

CompWiz wrote:Read: computer hardware related stuff. Like computer components. Need prices for cpu's or graphics cards? I know the street prices off of the top of my head. Want to know which graphics card is faster? I've memorized the performance on quite a few of them. Want to know what's a good price for a certain hard drive? I'll tell you in a second. Hardware related stuff. Not backup programs.
Hey, why aren't international use of network architectures, their support, and use on that list? Oh right, you only think you know about hardware, because you know a couple of prices (that where at least twice as high as actually currently reasonable prices, but whatever) and read what some internet nerds had to say about a couple of videocards. And we all know if it's on the internet then it must be true. Right?
Writing a complicated backup program is not hardware related stuff.
So why was your amazing hardware skill an argument to bring forward? And why don't you accept that automated smtp or ftp accounts are a better and cheaper alternative from someone who does know about software?
Also, keep in mind that I'm an extreeme cheapskate. I have mentioned this before. While buying backup hard drives is more conveinient, it costs more. Also, when those hard drives fail(and chances are, they will), I'll have to get replacements. Again, more money. Compared to the super low price of Carbonite, to me it's simple.
No, the difference is you already paid Carbonite and don't want to be wrong now. Which you are as has obviously been shown by the mere possibility of automated smtp or ftp account use, and the fact that Carbonite's harddrives are just as likely to fail meaning higher costs from lack of control or access to them. If you really where just a cheapskate then you would've accepted by now that free accounts are cheaper than $45 / year. But you are a cheapskate with an ego to protect.
Ahh, but you also forget that I thuroughly enjoy a good argument.
Which this isn't.
Going through and disproving or disagreeing with each one of your points in your post is fun.
Interestingly, you could also go through them and actually evaluate them. But there's more to it for you than that, you want to be right, not just disagree.
And I still challenge you: Is there a cheaper alternative that doesn't involve signing up for 400 gmail accounts?
I already mentioned buying a cheap harddrive, and you yourself already mentioned you wouldn't need terrabytes, so that 400 doesn't apply anymore.

Let's see, 4 years of your crappy method = $180. Assuming their service stays around that long and you haven't lost your data several times by then. Hey wait a second, that'll buy you a terrabyte (which you already claimed you wouldn't even need) worth of high speed harddrives that will be yours your whole life and will be directly accessible to you and won't depend on an internet connection either.
In fact, I'd say there's a far higher chance of google shutting down those accounts than my Cable company shutting off my cable internet service becuase I used it a lot.
Hey, I know, don't use google for all 400 of them. Or, don't even use smtp for all 400. Spread it over a couple of free ftp accounts. Hell, buy a couple of <$10 webhosts for less than 45 a year total and you'll have a dozen times the service at a lower price.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Arcane WIzard wrote:
CompWiz wrote:Read: computer hardware related stuff. Like computer components. Need prices for cpu's or graphics cards? I know the street prices off of the top of my head. Want to know which graphics card is faster? I've memorized the performance on quite a few of them. Want to know what's a good price for a certain hard drive? I'll tell you in a second. Hardware related stuff. Not backup programs.
Hey, why aren't international use of network architectures, their support, and use on that list? Oh right, you only think you know about hardware, because you know a couple of prices (that where at least twice as high as actually currently reasonable prices, but whatever)
They were? The hard drive prices I listed were:

400gb Seagate Barraccuda SATA II 7200.10 hard drive for $84, shipped(and that's new, not refurbished). That's a bad price? I challenge you to find a better price on that hard drive. Or any current 400gb SATA II hard drive with NCQ and 16mb of cache.

Fantom Drives G-Force MegaDisk 1.0TB 7200RPM USB 2.0 external hard drive for $650.00. However, according to you, this terabyte hard drive I listed didn't exist, or at least not in a store I could get to. Seeing as how it did very much exist, and was very much available for me to buy(If I felt like wasting a bunch of money), you obviously are not very good at judging prices for large hard drives. If you think that they don't exist, you quite apparently don't know prices for them. Same logic applies to the CFI External Enclosure 2TB hard drive for $1,099.00.

What hard drive did you think that I listed for an unreasonable price? If you're talking about the 200gb hard drive that you commented was a very high price, that wasn't me. In fact, when I replied to something that you said in that post, you very readily pointed out that you were not talking to me. You were talking to the person who posted the ridiculous hard drive price.

I'd like to know what you mean. What hard drive are you referring to?

Arcane WIzard wrote: and read what some internet nerds had to say about a couple of videocards. And we all know if it's on the internet then it must be true. Right?
I read up on hardware reviews on multiple sites, and not just videocards. I keep track of current hard drive benchmarks, cpu benchmarks, some motherboard benchmarks, and videocard benchmarks. And tell me, how else do you find out about the performance of computer components? Buy each one and test them out yourself? Did I happen to mention I'm an extreme cheapskate? So, tell me, how do you find out about the performance of computer hardware? I'd say there's two possibilities:
1:You don't know about computer performance. If I asked you if the nvidia 7600 was faster than the ATI x850, you'd have no idea. (and don't go look it up and post it. Almost anyone could do that)
2: You read reviews of hardware online.

There's really no middle ground. Unless you have the finances of Bill Gates, or some generous sponsors, there's really no other good way.
Arcane WIzard wrote:
Writing a complicated backup program is not hardware related stuff.
So why was your amazing hardware skill an argument to bring forward? And why don't you accept that automated smtp or ftp accounts are a better and cheaper alternative from someone who does know about software?
Arcane WIzard wrote:Obviously, with all the ability you've shown. Like paying for an online backup method, being unable to argue against alternatives like freely automated smtp accounts, showing nothing but inexperience and ineptitude in subjects concerning information technology and it's global market, and even being unable to be coherent in your desired use of this technology you're supporting so objectively. And your analysis' of the thread show a huge ability for reading and comprehension.

Obviously I should know you're "pretty good with computer hardware related stuff" by now.
Everything you listed there was software related stuff. So, I was trying to remind you that being good at hardware related stuff doesn't mean that I can program something to do the backups for me to hundreds of gmail accounts. I know hardware. As in, if you have x amount of money, what's the best ___ that you could get? What advantages does x brand have over y brand in a certain price range? When is their next faster product coming out? How much performance do you get from an upgrade to quadcore? How do you overclock an AMD 64? Is CAS latency more important than speed? How much faster would this hard drive be than a normal one? Is SATA II faster than SATA I?

That's hardware stuff, at least the way I define it. You seem to have confused the definition of hardware a bit.
Arcane WIzard wrote:
Also, keep in mind that I'm an extreeme cheapskate. I have mentioned this before. While buying backup hard drives is more convenient, it costs more. Also, when those hard drives fail(and chances are, they will), I'll have to get replacements. Again, more money. Compared to the super low price of Carbonite, to me it's simple.
No, the difference is you already paid Carbonite and don't want to be wrong now. Which you are as has obviously been shown by the mere possibility of automated smtp or ftp account use, and the fact that Carbonite's harddrives are just as likely to fail meaning higher costs from lack of control or access to them. If you really where just a cheapskate then you would've accepted by now that free accounts are cheaper than $45 / year. But you are a cheapskate with an ego to protect.
What is this automated smtp or ftp you are talking about? Is there some site that allows you to upload files(up to 1TB) for free? Is the data secure? Will it ever be removed? Link me to the site. Like I said, show me a better alternative. If there really is something better, I'll see about canceling the carbonite service(I'll pay them their rate of $5/month(it's been less than one) for the little while I've been using it). However, all I see from you is a bunch of talk and no feasible examples(and no, I don't consider making 400gmail accounts to be feasible, for the reasons I've listed in my last post).
Arcane WIzard wrote:
Ahh, but you also forget that I thoroughly enjoy a good argument.
Which this isn't.
really? I'm enjoying it.
Arcane WIzard wrote:
Going through and disproving or disagreeing with each one of your points in your post is fun.
Interestingly, you could also go through them and actually evaluate them. But there's more to it for you than that, you want to be right, not just disagree.
I'm only disagreeing with them because I don't think that what you are saying is correct. I'm listening to what you say. My disagreement is my evaluation. As far as I can see, while you have plenty of bad things to say about carbonite, you have offered no feasable alternatives, therefore I might as well stick with it.
Arcane WIzard wrote:
And I still challenge you: Is there a cheaper alternative that doesn't involve signing up for 400 gmail accounts?
I already mentioned buying a cheap harddrive, and you yourself already mentioned you wouldn't need terabytes, so that 400 doesn't apply anymore.

Let's see, 4 years of your crappy method = $180. Assuming their service stays around that long and you haven't lost your data several times by then. Hey wait a second, that'll buy you a terabyte (which you already claimed you wouldn't even need) worth of high speed harddrives that will be yours your whole life and will be directly accessible to you and won't depend on an internet connection either.
So, if I save up for 4 years, I can buy a couple hard drives, and back up my data. Which will fail at some point, requiring me to buy more(and again, and again). In fact, while I'm saving up for 4 years, my current hard drives could fail, making waiting 4 years for a backup useless. Also, how do you get to a terabyte for $180? The terabyte hard drive cost $650. And also, I have a bit over a terabyte. (2x 160gb + 300gb + 400gb = 1020gb.) And don't forget that many hard drives do not store what they say. For example, if you read the fine print on the box, they say that they consider a gb to be 1000 mb. So, even if I got a terabyte of storage and threw away the extra 20gb I have, I'd still be quite a bit short on back up space.

Arcane WIzard wrote:
In fact, I'd say there's a far higher chance of google shutting down those accounts than my Cable company shutting off my cable internet service becuase I used it a lot.
Hey, I know, don't use google for all 400 of them. Or, don't even use smtp for all 400. Spread it over a couple of free ftp accounts. Hell, buy a couple of <$10 webhosts for less than 45 a year total and you'll have a dozen times the service at a lower price.
Really? I just looked around on google and didn't see anything that would give me storage for cheaper than carbonite. But, as I've stated, this is not my speciality. Please link to a hosting company that I could use for this.

And you know, it would be somewhat difficult to restore files if you have the contents of your hard drive spread out among a huge series of 10mb split archive files over hundreds of email accounts, or whatever. I'm still open to it, but I'd need quite a program to automate this backup and restoring, and I certainly have no idea how to program it.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

You already pointed out you can't backup 1tb of data at once, and don't need or want to. And I said you a) dont need to use gmail b) dont need to use email c) dont need to use remote online sites at all. If you did it would take ages. Which is both plenty of time to deal with x mb split archives and for your data to have changed meaning you're always uploading to keep your backups usefull, even after several weeks of getting the initial backup in place.

That means you can't and shouldn't backup everything you've got in one remote place, online.

Again, if you think knowing a couple of prices and benchmarks of some hardware devices is "knowing hardware" then you don't know shit about hardware. Which shows. Hardware needs to be applied, managed, and so on. Fit in a context, which in turn is 10x more important than the hardware itself. But that's still about hardware. And I'm not going to explain to you everything you should know, I already wasted too much effort on that. Get a college degree in this stuff at the very least, then we'll talk. Oh wait, no we won't because then you'll know how stupid your ideas are. Though maybe that's putting too much fait into education systems being able to deal with such incompetence.

In the mean time, spend the money you're obviously wasting on a hardware backup solution, or backup the little amounts your connection will let you without it getting outdated on some free email or ftp accounts.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Arcane WIzard wrote:Again, if you think knowing a couple of prices and benchmarks of some hardware devices is "knowing hardware" then you don't know shit about hardware. Which shows. Hardware needs to be applied, managed, and so on. Fit in a context, which in turn is 10x more important than the hardware itself. But that's still about hardware. And I'm not going to explain to you everything you should know, I already wasted too much effort on that. Get a college degree in this stuff at the very least, then we'll talk.
Actually, I'm currently majoring in Computer Engineering at the University at Buffalo. And as to what I said about knowing hardware, I was just trying to help you to understand what I meant when I said that I know hardware stuff. If you define it differently, fine. Have fun. Just use what I said to understand what I mean when I say I know hardware stuff. ok?
Arcane WIzard wrote: In the mean time, spend the money you're obviously wasting on a hardware backup solution, or backup the little amounts your connection will let you without it getting outdated on some free email or ftp accounts.
even you said that it would be very hard to backup to free email or ftp accounts. With your data changing all the time, it's almost impossible to keep it updated when doing manual backups over a relatively slow connection. That's why I'm using Carbonite. I have no idea how to write a program that would keep a backup spread over multiple accounts current, with changed a new files. But, I don't have to. Carbonite already wrote a program that does that, and does that quite nicely. Also, they even take care of the data storage and encryption.
I have yet to see you recommend one site that would allow me to store this much data for less than carbonite. And even if such a site exists, I would then have to back everything up manually, which is, as you said, impractical.

As for hard drives, they would probably end up costing me more than Carbonite. And hard drives fail. So any data backed up on a hard drive is not safe. I'll think about it though. Maybe a couple hard drives would be better. Still, unlimited backup for 4 years or 1TB of backup in hard drives that will probably need to be replaced and end up costing more, hmm. Oh, and as for upload speed, I will be using the university's super fast connection starting next january, so uploads will be really fast. I'll see how it goes, and make a decision.

Arcane WIzard wrote:Oh right, you only think you know about hardware, because you know a couple of prices (that where at least twice as high as actually currently reasonable prices, but whatever)
what price did I state that was high? I always make sure to get the lowest possible prices, and I don't take such accusations lightly. Please elucidate.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Carbonite boosts your upload speed?

And are you kidding me about university? You only seem to know stuff you( should)'ve read in ads. Did you start this year or are you just increadibly dense?

Also, you enjoy this because you believe you are right. You spend a lot of time "researching" matters that have absolutely nothing to do with this. So you expect a reward/result. Like being right. Unfurtunately that's not how the universe works. Still, you want that reward here and now so you won't accept an alternative solution presented to you that would require a little bit more effort (suddenly you're not so much of a cheapskate any more). And actually having the ability to understand something. Also unfortunately it's a lot less entertaining to speak with someone like this than it is to be that someone.

Fortunately for me, I'm smart enough to recognize this, and enough of an asshole not to care about wether you actually use the best solution possible but rather wether you're insulted enough for being too stupid to do so. Hence why I'm not repeating my points over and over again like some retard who thinks people aren't too stupid to be convinced of anything.

Still, at least it's a good debate because you're enjoying it. Right? It not actually being a debate has nothing to do with it, I'm sure.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Arcane WIzard wrote:Carbonite boosts your upload speed?
:puzzled: Huh? Where did you get that from? :?
Arcane WIzard wrote:And are you kidding me about university? You only seem to know stuff you( should)'ve read in ads.
Why wouldn't I be in a university? In fact, check my location. It says UB, which is what everyone around here calls the University at Buffalo. It's a large and well known research university, with 50,000 people on the campus. It's been around for a while. In fact, Millard Fillmore(US president from long ago) was the first chancellor, and continued to be chancellor while he was the President of the US. We even have a pretty powerful supercomputer.
Arcane WIzard wrote:Also, you enjoy this because you believe you are right. You spend a lot of time "researching" matters that have absolutely nothing to do with this. So you expect a reward/result. Like being right. Unfurtunately that's not how the universe works. Still, you want that reward here and now so you won't accept an alternative solution presented to you that would require a little bit more effort (suddenly you're not so much of a cheapskate any more).
Look, I'm a big cheapskate, but it's still within reason. I'm not going to spend hours each day signing up for hundreds of gmail accounts, or ftp accounts, or w/e. If it took a reasonable amount of time, then sure. But I also don't want to waste all of my time on this. I don't know how to write a program to automatically manage a collection of split archives spread across multiple ftp and email accounts. To do it manually would take a lot of time, and would probably be impractical anyway, as even you said. [/quote]
Arcane WIzard wrote: Fortunately for me, I'm smart enough to recognize this, and enough of an asshole not to care about wether you actually use the best solution possible but rather wether you're insulted enough for being too stupid to do so.
Maybe you should have actually read what I posted in my last post:
CompWiz wrote:As for hard drives, they would probably end up costing me more than Carbonite. And hard drives fail. So any data backed up on a hard drive is not safe. I'll think about it though. Maybe a couple hard drives would be better. Still, unlimited backup for 4 years or 1TB of backup in hard drives that will probably need to be replaced and end up costing more, hmm. Oh, and as for upload speed, I will be using the university's super fast connection starting next january, so uploads will be really fast. I'll see how it goes, and make a decision.
I'm considering what you suggesed. Really. I'm thinking about it. One of the reasons I like a good argument is becuase you get a lot of information, and see the true benefits and detriments of different things. I do learn from arguments, so whether I win or lose, I still win in the sense that I learn more about stuff that I was interested in. Also, I win in the sense that in the end, I can confidently make the best decision, based upon all the points argued, even if it's not the thing I argued for. And that's more important than winning the debate. Anyway, what was it they said in "thank you for smoking"? Something like if you are good enough at arguing, you're always right. Well, I know that I'm not always right, but it's fun to argue like you are anyway. However, in this case, My true thoughts about the argument were very clearly stated in the last post I made. That's what I'm thinking right now, and planning on doing. You've convinced me that Carbonite may not be all I imagined it to be. However, as I see it, it's still better than your proposed solutions in many circumstances. Like I said, I'm considering hard drives, but the price is a little much. I'll see how my finances are coming along, check upload speeds at the university, and see about it. Thank you.
Arcane WIzard wrote: Still, at least it's a good debate because you're enjoying it. Right? It not actually being a debate has nothing to do with it, I'm sure.
Yes, it's been an enjoyable debate for the most part, however, when you ignored a few important questions I posed, it took it down a bit. Still fun though.

One last thing I'd really like to know:
CompWiz wrote:
Arcane WIzard wrote:Oh right, you only think you know about hardware, because you know a couple of prices (that where at least twice as high as actually currently reasonable prices, but whatever)
what price did I state that was high? I always make sure to get the lowest possible prices, and I don't take such accusations lightly. Please elucidate.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

CompWiz wrote:Why wouldn't I be in a university?
All you've shown to know so far comes from advertising, not university education. Even if you had been going there since the start of this school year you would've had some general ideas that wheren't stupid. Or you're just dense. Either of the two eliminates university as a usefull argument.
Look, I'm a big cheapskate, but it's still within reason.
"Carbonite is the cheapest possible solution." True or false?
CompWiz wrote:As for hard drives, they would blablablabla
I'm considering what you suggesed. Really. I'm thinking about it. One of the reasons I like a good argument is becuase you get a lot of information, and see the true benefits and detriments of different things.blablablabla
Yes, it's been an enjoyable debate for the most part, however, when you ignored a few important questions blablabla
One last thing I'd really like to know
What don't you understand about me not caring wether you get something out of this? Like I said, I'm not going to repeat myself over and over again. If you didn't understand it then, you're not going to understand it now.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Arcane WIzard wrote:
DVDs. DVDs. DVDs.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

dual layer dvd is dual layer
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Looking at prices, it seems that DVD+RW's are not really cheaper than hard drives. At newegg.com, it would cost approximately $173.45 (includes shipping) to get enough dvd+rw's to store a terrabyte. That's only a few bucks less than the price arcane estimated for getting 1tb with hard drives. And with dvd's you have to worry about scratches, bad sectors, and coasters, plus, it would take a very long time to burn one backup.(imagine each time you do a backup changing the DVD around 225 times) Plus, chances are, my DVD burner drive would quit working. Cheap consumer ones are really not made to stand up to burning hundreds of disks, much less thousands. It would most likely end up costing less just to use hard drives, and that's a lot faster as well.
Arcane WIzard wrote:
CompWiz wrote:Why wouldn't I be in a university?
All you've shown to know so far comes from advertising, not university education. Even if you had been going there since the start of this school year you would've had some general ideas that wheren't stupid. Or you're just dense. Either of the two eliminates university as a usefull argument.
It wasn't really an argument, you said that I should get a college degree, and I just replied that I am. And why do you think that all I know about hardware I learned from advertising? Like I said, I read many product reviews, and memorize benchmarks and prices, along with many comptuer-related articles. That's not advertising, that's product information, and that's where I get information from. Where else do you get information?
Arcane WIzard wrote:
True. The only cheaper method that you proposed is using a bunch of free/cheap email accounts/ftp accounts, which even you admitted was impractical. Managing a backup across hundreds of different accounts, stored on many different websites is not possible, at least without more time than I have. Also, keeping it updated would be impossible, as far as I can see. That wouldn't be a backup, it would be a collection of outdated and hard-to-access information, that could lose parts of the backup at any time if gmail notices what's going on. Therefore, not a solution, in any sense of the word.

Hard drive backups are not cheaper. Along with hard drive failures that cost money to replace, you also have to remember that if I ever add more hard drives to my computer(over time, programs take up more and more space, so eventually, a terabyte will be like what a gigabyte is considered today. Very small), I will also need to get more backup hard drives, therefore, more money. With carbonite, however much data you have, they'll back it up. Limited only by the connection speed, which as I've mentioned, will soon be very high as I move into my university's dorms, and get to use their extremely fast internet connection.
Arcane WIzard wrote:
CompWiz wrote:As for hard drives, they would blablablabla
I'm considering what you suggesed. Really. I'm thinking about it. One of the reasons I like a good argument is becuase you get a lot of information, and see the true benefits and detriments of different things.blablablabla
Yes, it's been an enjoyable debate for the most part, however, when you ignored a few important questions blablabla
One last thing I'd really like to know
What don't you understand about me not caring wether you get something out of this? Like I said, I'm not going to repeat myself over and over again. If you didn't understand it then, you're not going to understand it now.
I'm not asking you to repeat yourself. You have yet to offer a cheaper alternative to carbonite. Therefore, it seems I'll be sticking with it, at least for some time. Do you have any cheaper backup methods you haven't mentioned yet?
CompWiz wrote:
well? Where did I post this high price? It's not good form in an argument to just make things up and lie freely. That doesn't help anyone.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Good thing I didn't lie when I said that nor when I said I'm not going to bother getting you help, as you're still showing to be as dense as I claim you are. Yet you keep asking..
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Ok, so if you didn't lie, then, has anyone seen a new, factory-sealed Seagate Baraccuda SATA II 400GB 7200.10 for $42 shipped? I said it cost $84, but you claim the price I stated was at least twice as high as currently reasonable prices. Is $42 a currently reasonable price for that hard drive? If anyone sees this hard drive for $42 or less, please say so, because as far as I have seen, $84 is a very good price that you are rarely able to get. Not unreasonable in any way, and in fact, an excellant price. Can anyone dispute that?

Or perhaps you are referring to the 1tb 7200rpm usb2 external drive. I said it cost $650. In fact, that is $650 on sale. Do you think that $325 is a reasonable price for this drive? As it is, $650 is the lowest price on pricewatch.com for a 1tb drive. Have you seen them on sale for $325? Has anyone?

If they aren't available for that price, then yes, you were lying. You knowledgeably accused me falsely of quoting inflated prices. Whether you like arguents or not, or even whether you like this argument or not, lying is something that only hurts your side of the argument, along with your general credability. Obviously if you have to lie, then you don't have a true argument to fall back on.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Or you still don't understand that I didn't mean those crappy harddrives in particular, but typical 1tb solutions like i've said 20x before.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

You are the one that said that 1tb hard drives didn't exist in any market that I could get to. I found a 1tb hard drive, and posted the link and the price here to show that it did in fact exist an was available to be purchased by me. That was the only price that I quoted for 1tb hard drives. I didn't state prices for typical 1tb solutions, I stated the price for a 1tb hard drive. Yet you claim that:
So, tell me, where is this 1tb hard drive for $325?

If you want to talk about 1tb hard drive storage solutions(as in more than one hard drive to get 1tb), I used your estimate. You said that you could get a terabyte for $180. I'm not sure how realistic that is, I'd say it's a bit on the low side, but anyway, that's the price I used when talking about the cost of backing up 1 terabyte on hard drives. So, if that's the price you're talking about, then you are saying that your own estimate is incorrect, not mine, so saying that my price is twice as high as what is currently reasonable was a lie. Also, even if that was the price I quoted, if you think that you can get 1tb of hard drive space for $90(half of $180), then I'd say you're crazy. It's not available for that price. So, what you said would still be a lie.

And no, you weren't just talking about 1tb solutions in general, becuase you specifically said that the price that I was talking about was twice as high as is currently reasonable. So, basically, you were saying that one of the prices that I listed is double what is reasonable. Where is that price?