Monopoly

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Yea, well the routine that I wrote to handle saved games (so far) takes up about a 100, maybe 150 bytes. That's just inputting the name and creating the variable. By having one saved game on the calc (for the 83, the 83+ would have the saved game routines) I would probably save close to 200 bytes. Is it worth it?
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

yeah! I think think it is worth it.

Ah its 8811b...ok I wasnt sure, at first I was postive it ended in 11, but I thought it was 8111b...but that was too low I knew that didnt look right. 8192b just felt so good! :wink:
The Revolution is here...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

that sounds good. I'd say it's worth it. :)

Who uses more than one savegame for monopoly anyway?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Well, you could have a game of your own against computers you play in the car or at home and then one with your friends that you play at school. And then you might have different games going on in different classes, and this way you could trade save games and whatnot.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

True, but limited hardware means limited features. There are not that many people that use an 83 now anyway. Schools say to get 83+'s or higher, so the number of people affected by a limited savegame on the 83 would be small. Maybe you could make like 3 savegame slots, so they can save a few games.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

I think that's what I'll do, the three game slots idea. Originally I had just planned to have one save game for BOTH calculators, but now I'm too proud of myself for writing all of these routines by myself to not use them, haha. I'll take a screenshot of it soon.

Oh, and everything is starting to look shabby because I'm afraid of wasting too much space! You'll see what I mean with the screenshot.

Also, are there any suggestions for how to decorate the character selection screen? It looks kind of...bland...as it sits.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Have a nice grayscale monopoly title-screen style background behind the selection. :D
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

...with a reasonable size!

Haha, kRoot actually designed an RLE-compressed greyscale background for monopoly that I still have somewhere.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

So I've started to implement the purchasing of properties. It's just making me realize how much I actually have left to do...it's depressing almost. If the user doesn't have enough money, you have to either ask if they still want it or get them to mortgage some of their properties.

Also, the community chest routine now functions alongside the chance routine thanks to some ingenious smc.

Hm. I changed a few things around to be more "multiplayer friendly." Oh and you can sort of buy properties, it won't mark it as purchased but it correctly subtracts the property's price from the money you have and won't let you buy it if you don't have enough money.

I haven't even started working on the options menu, I figure that'll be easier to do once I get the main game completed. At that time, I'll probably also release a beta version out to you guys to get your opinion on everything.

Soon I'll also need to start working on the stats menu, because there's so much helpful stuff that could go in there to help me debug the various tiny glitches. But what should go on there? Let's see:
-Money you have
-Status (in jail/out of jail)
-Probably have a button to pop up a list of all the properties you own + the houses/hotels you've got on them + whether they're mortgaged or not
-Net worth (cash + property values)
-Whether you have a get out of jail free card?
I don't know, but give me some suggestions as to what you'd like on the stats menu; once I finish up the property purchasing routine I'm probably going to start on that.

Then there's the ingame options menu. Let's see...
-Trade
-Mortgage
-Buy houses for your monopolies
What else?

I think that I'm just going to totally disregard size. Right now, everything I do is so parsimonious it's not even funny. Like, to save a game I just display the words Save Game? 2nd = yes Mode = no overtop of the board, none of those little popup menus or anything. I am a little disappointed as to how large it is, but I don't know that I've got the willpower or the patience to start anything over in an attempt to make it smaller.

Oh well. But please, please send me your comments and suggestions and innermost thoughts/secrets (so long as they pertain to this game...well, no, that's not even a requirement).
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Great man, I am even more exicted now! Keep it up and dont worry about the size, unless you reach the limit with your code!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, it's all right if it gets a little large. If you want, you can release a compressed version for CrunchyOS for those people who want to save space. :)
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Geez...You are such a fan of COS. Gah! ;)
Actually I like COS as well. Plus COS does need some more specificly designed programs for it. After you get a regular version done of course chickendude! :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

You hadn't noticed? I think I must have mentioned it quite a few times just in the last month.

Yeah, the amount of compressed programs available isn't exactly awe inspiring, but there are some good ones. It would be nice if more people released compressed versions of their programs, and you could then fit almost twice as many games on your calc. :twisted:

And of course, the regular version comes first. :) Then you can release the compressed version later on for those people stuck with the 83+'s puny archive. :lol: *hugs 84+SE*
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Haha, what compression does it use? But that's a great idea. the compressed version would probably be about the size I'd planned the uncompressed version to be :)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Not sure, you could ask Dwedit or look in the documentation of Chruchy.zip?