Selling Ti-Calculator Games, programs, etc...on a CD!!!!!

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Nice, I didn't know you also had a forum

*registering new forum*

Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

For alittle while there I thought the Revsoft was forgotten (like a sword :D )
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Yun Kwak, I respectfully answer your last question. As any retailer, of
course, I will not be emailing you with my wholesale supplier. However, I
will tell you, with a bit of research, you can locate them online just as I
did.

I hope this information helps you in your endeavors to get to the bottom of
what you are looking for.

Good luck and thanks again for your emails.

Melody
Oh JOY :x
So what do you think of this:
to my dearest Melody (for a hint of humor's sake :P ),
No that does not help at all. you are being too vague.
And another suggestion, if you are going to use Frontpage I suggest you clear up some of the HTML crud it produces. Also, I would suggest naming the pages something other than "new_page1.htm" for example.
Last edited by currahee on Wed 16 Feb, 2005 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

reply to her
"Yes, I did find them. As a matter of fact, that's why I'm here. Why are you selling what can be acquired for free?"
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Well see, that's because I asked her who the wholesale supplier is. :? crap.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
sic
Site Admin

Post by sic »

The index of games included on the CD is actually an offsite link to a2zcds.com. After a little digging, I found this:

http://www.a2zcds.com/DetailInfo.asp?pid=67&qid=5

Could that be the "wholesaler"?

I am a little ticked off, since both Asteroids and Dr. Mario (but not Phantom Star, strangely) are on this CD.
Kerey

Post by Kerey »

sic wrote:The index of games included on the CD is actually an offsite link to a2zcds.com. After a little digging, I found this:

http://www.a2zcds.com/DetailInfo.asp?pid=67&qid=5

Could that be the "wholesaler"?

I am a little ticked off, since both Asteroids and Dr. Mario (but not Phantom Star, strangely) are on this CD.
Oh man... check out those top secret cds! Everything they don't want you to know!
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

Party Plans Plus CD
Only $9.95
Top secret, eh?
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Sorry to bring this up again, I read their shitty legal policy
All of our CD media products that we sell, along with all of the HTML Coding and JavaScript used for the creation of this website and/or auction ads, are protected by U.S. and International copyright laws (U.S. Code Title 17 and the Berne Convention). Although a large majority of the data contained within our CD media is our own work, many of the videos and images are believed to be in the public domain. We do not claim ownership to any of these specific items, but we do claim ownership to the CD compilation as a whole. Furthermore; much of the content contained within our CD media we have been granted exclusive permission for unlimited distribution through our company. These rights are not passed on to any third parties as we must pay various royalty fees or other means of compensation for use of this data. Any redistribution of this data would be a copyright infringement and compensation may be sought by both our company and the original author as well. Compilation copyrights are defined by the Copyright Act as a work that is formed by the "collection and assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are selected in such a way that resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of authorship." We have spent thousands of hours on researching, collecting, organizing, producing, and releasing our CDs to the public, and do not take copyright infringement cases lightly. Any unauthorized use of our copyrighted text and images without the expressed, written consent of A2ZCDS, Inc. is strictly prohibited by law. We use personally identifying 'embedders' and hidden watermarks within our CDs, including but not limited to text files, JavaScript, HTML, ID2 and ID3 tags, images, programs, documents, proprietary software, encryption, and system files so that none of the material we offer can be illegally copied and sold. These 'embedders' and watermarks identify the owner, A2ZCDS, Inc., of the material and documents contained on each one of the CDs we sell so that we may protect our copyright. To read more about our digital image watermarking please visit http://www.digimarc.com/. For more information on copyright and trademark please visit the following sites:

Official U.S. Government Copyright Office > http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright
Official U.S. Trademark and Patent Office > http://www.uspto.gov/
What is a Copyright? > http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

We do conduct thorough investigations into suspicious web activity, sales, and auctions that may infringe on A2ZCDS, Inc. products and web design. Once we have established that our products are being sold, redistributed, and/or reproduced in any way we will take every legal action against you and your company. This action includes, but is not limited to your hosting company, your payment gateway, and other companies that may be involved in the illegal sale and distribution of our products.

We also use an advanced form of copyright protection on the CD media itself to deter copying as well. If you have a problem with our security measures taken in the production of our CDs then please do not purchase from us.

Disclaimer

We make no warranty, either implied or expressed, including without limitation any warranty with respect to this CD documented here, its quality, performance, or fitness for a particular purpose. In no event will we be liable to you for any damages, including any lost profits, lost savings or other whether direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages arising out of your use or inability to use this CD, or for any claim by any other party. No copyrights have been violated or infringed upon in the production of our CDs. All software has been distributed under the legal guidelines of shareware and freeware. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. We are not engaged in rendering any legal professional service. The services of a professional person are recommended if legal advice or assistance is needed. The publisher(s) or author(s) of our products and our website disclaims any personal loss or liability caused by utilization of any information or content presented in any form.

Thank you for taking the time to review our copyright notice and legal policy.

Sincerely,

Scott Reid, President
A2ZCDS, Inc.
So what that is saying is, that probably most of the programs that we made belong to them, that's probably the most disturbing part. The odd thing about it is, that it states
We do conduct thorough investigations into suspicious web activity, sales, and auctions that may infringe on A2ZCDS, Inc. products and web design. Once we have established that our products are being sold, redistributed, and/or reproduced in any way we will take every legal action against you and your company. This action includes, but is not limited to your hosting company, your payment gateway, and other companies that may be involved in the illegal sale and distribution of our products.
So I guess ticalc.org should be sued then? Since they say the CD compilation is theirs, obviously they haven't used ticalc.org.
Compilation copyrights are defined by the Copyright Act as a work that is formed by the "collection and assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are selected in such a way that resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of authorship."
Okay, so I can take Windows XP Pro and Home and then compile them onto one CD and sell them and then claim them as my own right?
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I think they're only claiming the compilation, and not the individual files; just like an automobile patent would apply to the car as a whole, and not the widgets and gizmos inside. Plus, most of our programs fall under the published works category, so no one can copyright them. Selling them for money though, is a little messed up.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Yeh I wish they'd stop, from a moral standpoint paying what you could get for free is kinna wrong. And making money off of it... well.. :no:
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

How about this, it costs $1 for a trail version and $25 for the full version.
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

apparently some kid sold his friend MtSquest - True...for $1...and i didn't see a penny of it :/
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

I wonder how many people are going to try to sell Zelda...? :P
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

VahnRPG wrote:apparently some kid sold his friend MtSquest - True...for $1...and i didn't see a penny of it :/
His friend was paying for the service of being given the game. Not the acutal game.

Really though, I think that selling CD's is going too far, at least without asking permission.
Although a large majority of the data contained within our CD media is our own work, many of the videos and images are believed to be in the public domain. Furthermore; much of the content contained within our CD media we have been granted exclusive permission for unlimited distribution through our company.
They don't mention calc games being part of the public domain. And they were not given permission for much of the content on the CD. Also, a large majority of the data contained within their CD is not their own work.

one word: SUE :twisted:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image