Selling Ti-Calculator Games, programs, etc...on a CD!!!!!

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well some people put a dislaimer with their programs which might say things like "you may not redistribute without my permission" or something similar.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Kerey wrote:
Spencer wrote:We all released our programs into public domain -- in practice he may charge for the physical CD, but not for the content without our consent.
Nope. If your programs are public domain, he can sell them, since you no longer have exclusive rights to the programs. Everyone "owns" them now.

With the GPL, you retain your copyright, so you have the ability to require that the source code is disributed along with the binary, which can't be required for public domain software. As CoBB said, it explicitly allows for fees. "You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee."
So, the program belongs to everyone, so it also belongs to the people that buy it. How can you buy something you already have?
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Well, I'm not in there, but I have all of 3 published programs on ticalc... and none of them is a completed game.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Kerey

Post by Kerey »

So, the program belongs to everyone, so it also belongs to the people that buy it. How can you buy something you already have?
You don't have to buy it, obviously, if you can find another source. Just because you own the intellectual property doesn't mean you own it as encoded in the pits of a particular cd, which is what is being sold. To use an anology with a book, say someone finds the only copy of some previously lost work. Nobody can force him to sell the book or a copy of it (assume it is his property, not for example what happens in Greece, where the state can assume ownership of historically significant artifacts), but if someone does buy it, the purchaser can sell copies or scan it and give it away as an ebook since he owns the IP as well as the physical book. Without ownership of the IP, you are limited to the uses of the book that are decided by the copyright owner or relevant court decisions, ie: fair use.

I'm not an IP lawyer, so I don't claim to be an expert, but I think the above is reasonably accurate.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I got a reply:
Ben, Thank you for your email. However, I am a little
confused. I'm not sure exactly how to respond to your
email. I purchase all of the CD's on my web site from
a legitimate, wholesale supplier. If you research,
there are a large number of people on ebay selling
many of the same CD's that I do. I am confident that
the company from which I purchase from does not sell
anything illegally reproduced.

Thanks,
<Name withheld>
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Are those perhaps the infamous CDs from ticalc.org and TI?
ImageImage
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

AndySoft wrote:Are those perhaps the infamous CDs from ticalc.org and TI?
Selling those would be as illegal as the cd's we think he sells. Those were pulled back by TI. I still have one of those cd's in my collection, and I remembet that even for that CD, you had to give your 'ok' to let your game/program be put on that CD.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I sent an email back to her (I'm assuming it's a "her", anyway) stating that the only "legal" and OK'd CD of this sort were some old ones that TI issued out with the express permission of the authors, but have since stopped doing so.
I think she's the one losing out in this, if she's buying them and selling on again...
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Argh... she/he even put that stupid game of my n00b time on it... :shock:

tictactoe.zip Tic Tac Toe : Spaze Edition

one reason more to stop this madness

on a side note... those cd's can't be the ticalc.org cd's... the windows files of the ticalc.org are missing on the one she/he is selling...
dude

Post by dude »

I would feel lik this was wrong but then again, the idiots buying these deserve to lose $10 anyway. Why would you buy a CD of games that you can get for free. It's not like this guy is ripping you guys off of anything, or stopping anybody from downloading your work for free as it was intended, he's just taking advantage of morons. Its just the same as if you went to a kid at school and told them you'd transfer games to their calculater for money, when they could get it from anybody else in the school for free. if they're stupid enough to pay, so be it.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Yeah! like the lottery! ;)
bananas... o.o
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I suppose it's for the convienance of having a nice collection of TI games. Unfortunately the collection isn't updated at all, so that's the loss..
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Kerey

Post by Kerey »

DarkAuron wrote:I suppose it's for the convienance of having a nice collection of TI games. Unfortunately the collection isn't updated at all, so that's the loss..
Yeah, I guess it's nice to have a large collection of games.
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Ha ha ha!
:lol:
Very Funny Kerey. :D

Post by avatardelta »

if we wanted to stop this why don't we contact ebay to notify that that user is selling illegal software?