Selling Ti-Calculator Games, programs, etc...on a CD!!!!!

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Madskillz wrote:Also...why wouldn't Firetrack 2 be on this cd!?
It looks like an old listing (as far as I can see, none of my crap is on there).
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

We all released our programs into public domain -- in practice he may charge for the physical CD, but not for the content without our consent.
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

I have never heard of "dbzquest.zip". I checked it in the Ticalc.org archives and there is no such file as that in the Mirage section

Not all MirageOS games are on ticalc. For example Mario 2.0 is not in the ticalc archives but it can be found at http://www.calcgames.org/.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

This certainly is illegal, you can't sell open source games, it's in the GNU user agreement thingy.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Not exactly. Open source != GPL, besides the GPL is about not curtailing the rights of those who get the program from you. These terms are not violated if you leave the actual distribution intact. It is explicitely stated in the GPL that you may charge a fee for the distribution.
shadowing

Post by shadowing »

It would all depend on who released it with what agreement. But I think it is illegal. After all, it is under our own copyrights. Someone should contact their host and ask them to take it off.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

obviously not every Mirage or even every ASM game is going to be released on Ticalc.org. But almost...everything on that disk is from previous sections of files on Ticalc.org. Thus Firetrack/Firetrack 2, Desolate, TVF, and many other games recently released aren't on there.

Could you show me a link to the dbzquest game? I have yet to see one at Calcgames.org or Ticalc.org. So any proof that this game is real would be nice. :P
Last edited by Madskillz on Mon 31 Jan, 2005 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Revolution is here...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Who really cares ... will ANYONE buy this CD .... certainly not me, ESPECIALLY when you can easily download all the best games from ticalc.org anyway.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Who really cares ... will ANYONE buy this CD .... certainly not me, ESPECIALLY when you can easily download all the best games from ticalc.org anyway.
I hate to say it tr1p1ea, but there are people buying it. Not everyone is as knowledgable about these things as you are.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Exactly! :D They are making money off of the programs/games you guys released for free. I say, cut the programmers in on a piece of the pie.
The Revolution is here...
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

yes, all 4,375 of us will get a whole $0.0022743 per CD sold. Whoo hoo!
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Where did you get those numbers?? :?: :? :?
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

made up the # of people then took that and divided it by the price of the CD..i think...
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Or the other way around :wink:
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Kerey

Post by Kerey »

Spencer wrote:We all released our programs into public domain -- in practice he may charge for the physical CD, but not for the content without our consent.
Nope. If your programs are public domain, he can sell them, since you no longer have exclusive rights to the programs. Everyone "owns" them now.

With the GPL, you retain your copyright, so you have the ability to require that the source code is disributed along with the binary, which can't be required for public domain software. As CoBB said, it explicitly allows for fees. "You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee."