about HUDs

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

GuillaumeH

about HUDs

Post by GuillaumeH »

Here's an interesting article about HUDs : http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20060 ... n_01.shtml

I think it's quite thought-provoking for us who have to struggle to make fit a lot of information into 96*64 screens. Maybe the solution of togglable HUDs is the easiest to implement. Another easy solution is to use simple grayscale to allow looking at what's behind the HUD (by displaying it every other frame)...
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

some calc games use toglable HUD, like CDI's metroid game, pretty good idea i think, altough if u are at top of the screen the HUD should move to the bottom or something like that, like ARPGCS
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yeah CDI has it togglable and I did it also for chips. I think it would be cool to have the HUD move around depending where you are, but I wouldn't see that feasable for chips for it would be too slow.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Very interesting article. It's sometimes hard to find a good user interface in even the best-programmed games.
Image Image Image
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

*Makes BSG's UI toggleable*

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

dysfunction wrote:*Makes BSG's UI toggleable*
Hehe.
*wonders if metroid will have a toggable HUD*
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

I know coelurus used to have strong feelings about HUDs. I am not sure if he still has them :).

I have never really had problems with HUDs. You need them in games where it is vital to know certain info continually; action games. I never made action games.

In my Startroopers (unreleased) game I only show health and that is only a line of 1*96 pixels.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Hmm, I remember you and I discussed HUDs a long time ago, can't recall what any of us said though :P The logs are probably hidden in some of all of my backups, would be nice to get a tiny bit of info of what happened during the chats...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

OT: Kozak, why must it be unreleased!!!! :x
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

What about RPG HUDs?

how much space should be devoted to menus and stats, and how much should be used for sprites and battle animations?
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Im RPGs I think you don't need a hud which apears while walking around, but you press the menu button and then you can see your stats. But if you mean when in battles, pokemon is a good example of how one could place a type of HUD (or look at dry eyes for the TI-83+).
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I think the article summed it up perfectly: Decide what you need, and what you don't. If you can keep it down to the essentials, you're HUDing in the right direction.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Is a score display and lives counter really distracting to anyone?
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

No.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

As always, it depends. For instance, I'd want direct feedback info in an arcade game via a HUD, but not in an imo proper RPG (not even a stats screen, and you've heard from me why already :) ). An RTS is pretty much only about a HUD, but FPSs should have only tinsy bits of info (nolf is a good example).

The link should've had just a big line of text like:
"Make the HUD fit the game from the POV of the gamer."