Didn't get activation email, and some greyscale raycaster

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

GuestISUCKGuest

Didn't get activation email, and some greyscale raycaster

Post by GuestISUCKGuest »

http://www.geocities.com/jimm09876/83.html

This guy did some grayscale stuff, and I thought you guys might liek to see.

Also, I cannot log in because I haven't recieved my activation emial, Joe, if you read this, could you send it to yuengcheng@aol.com? Thanks
sic
Site Admin

Post by sic »

I've manually activated your account. Try to log in now :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow, that is amazing!

Has anyone tested this on hardware? I wonder how it runs on non-SE.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

It is incredibly fast on my 84+ SE...Very fast grayscale, probably the fastest I have seen. Only problem for me is one that occurs with other programs. Such as PhantomStar (Joe...I should have told you earlier), v4.0 of zDoom, and other games that use a different fastcopy. In the case of zDoom, the fastcopy routine from Venus was used, and that made the screen a bit jumpy. This is what occurs with PhantomStar and with James's greyscale games. So far, if you use IonFastCopy, or the gsCopyBuffer, the game should run fine on the 84+ SE...It has been tested and proven to fix the problem.

edit: just a mild flicker too.
The Revolution is here...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

This is SE only tech though?
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

These problems only occur on my 84+ SE...it seems to be the fastcopy. It's funny, it seems the 83's aren't as combatible with the 84's as everybody thought!
Kalimero

Post by Kalimero »

Some 84+ have a slower lcd. I've heared of very bad cases where the lcd was even about two times slower than 83/83+. There are a couple threads about this at detacheds.
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Hmm, his routines use interlacing by bytes (like RIGview). Its faster but uglier then interlacing by pixel (like GPP)
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

But hey it's still grayscale right? Darn it! I wish my S.E. could work so I could see it.... looks interesting
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

wow. that's pretty darn cool.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
Calv!n.n0.1

Post by Calv!n.n0.1 »

:shock: W0W, that is really interesting! I wonder if this could be developed further?
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Ok, moving screenshots actually move now. Looks awesome.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Well the author of the greyscale routines has just sent all this stuff and a DBZ movie into ticalc.org. The movie is pretty damn sweet!
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

What does interlacing by byte mean?
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

With RIGVIEW im pretty sure that it interlaces by byte by taking a byte from the first buffer and copying it to the screen then taking the next 2 from the next buffer and copying it to the screen, basically mixes them all up in one pass rather than switching between 2 complete buffers. This reduces flicker as each pass you change which bytes get displayed amoungst one another. A byte in the dark buffer will still get displayed 2/3 of the time and a byte in the light buffer will still get displayed 1/3 of the time, but it is not as consistant as showing the cokmplete buffer, so it is harder to distinguish ... thus harder to notice flicker.

Ducks GPP takes this further and interlaces by bits. It basically takes a mask and applys it to both buffers and the resultant byte is copied to the screen ... the mask changes all the time but it follows the same principal as before ... basically it will take 1/3 the info from the first buffer and mixes it with 2/3 the info from the second. The bits from each buffer change when you change the mask so the flickering is reduced greatly as you never really see a consistant portion of either buffer. This is all handled by the fastcopy routine. I believe it was Tijl Coosemans who originally came up with the idea of taking it to a bit level. Duck's implementation is so fine tuned that he managed to basically get all of this done within the wasted clock cycles of a fastcopy routine. An amazing achievement :).

I hope that was understandable ... :D.