Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

Well...good luck with not cutting any data out. The map data can take a hefty chunk out of your available memory. Graphics, sound, and battle animations are all understandable if they need to be cut out.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

No, no, y no! Come on, on a multipage app, this is a piece of cake! Plus map compression will get a very high rate of compression with all those repeating tiles. I bet you can disassemble the Pokemon rom and find where it loads the map data into the tilemap ram area from. That will give you a nice bit of code to copy and paste.
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

I've already tried that. Here's how it works:
1) there are 8x8 sprites that make up tiles
2) these are made into 32x32 "mega sprites" that are commonly used on maps
It's all compressed also. I'm also already pushing 100k just for data (items, moves, 40x40 sprites, Pokemon data, etc.). The maps could easily push another 100k (after being LZMA compressed).
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

sound like a nice project, I think I am gonna put a project page with a link to this topic in my community project website section :)
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I'm not taking anything out. I'm uaing multipage. I will compress. Happy?

You know those 150 mini pics I collected? They're all converted to greyscale now. :lol: I'll post them tommarrow for the world to see.

I need 2 things: Mew and Missingno. If someone could give me the ruby/fire red GS code to get it, I'd appreciate it greatly. Missingno. I'll prolly end up designing myself.

-thegamefreak0134
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Sweet! Glad to hear you finished converting them into gs :P. Missingno will not be too hard.
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

:o

Post by NanoWar »

I think MissingNO. should be your own creation.
Maybe add a small "cheater" in a corner :D.
I am sure you will find something.
Revolution Software
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I love/hate assembly..... (can't really decide)

I finally got my first APP done today. It's the most boring thing in the world to anyone else, but ecxiting to me because everything in it was hand coded by me. I tried to use external APIs ans such, but they didn't work too well.

Anywho, it basically can do two things. (1) Scroll through pkmn names, and (2) scroll through move names, also displaying Power, Accuracy (out of a possible 255), and Base PP. I'll add more to it as I collect and implement data.

It occurred to me on this project just how difficult it is to display a number on the screen. The routine I wrote that does so is more than a page long. (well, in notepad, courier new 12pt font, at 800x600.) I can optimise it easily for size, but it's still a ton of stuff for such a simple task. This is going to be a long project...

Don't worry about me backing out or anything. I've been working on this project for 5 years now, i'm not quitting now that it's actually getting started properly!

If you want to see the APP, then I need only one thing: A way to host a random file. I just need some simple storage, no page development or anything. I'll post a zip file with my entire project thus far.

On the requests list, I have a fun one. I am going to eventually need the maps for every area in the pkmn world. If someone wants to create maps from emulated versions of the game, I would greatly appreciate it. I need maps of every tile you can possibly see at any time in any area. I will also need lists of where transpost tiles take you. (by transport tilles, I mean doors, teleports in sabrina's gym, ect.) Anyone willing to do this would be greatly appreciated.

-thegamefreak0134

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:Don't worry about me backing out or anything. I've been working on this project for 5 years now, i'm not quitting now that it's actually getting started properly!
:yes: This will be great when it comes out

As for the file hosting, try http://www.upload2.com/, or just google it.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Can't get upload2.com to work. I might just go all out and make a web page for the project, who knows? Ah well. I'll try to have it and the image data up sometine in the near future.

-gamefreak0134

*EDIT* Got it to work!

http://www.bigupload.com/d=0C880200

Link to file above.

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

http://www.savefile.com is great and has alot less adds.
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

If you'd like, I may be able to send the tiles I have found so far (300+ already and more to be looked for) in 16x16 grayscale interlaced format. I also have people sprites, but I have yet to convert them. For the maps, you can use PokeModr to view the maps that I'll be making for my port of the game for map data and each tilemap. I don't know how long it will take for me to get there though...
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

If you'd like, I may be able to send the tiles I have found so far (300+ already and more to be looked for) in 16x16 grayscale interlaced format. I also have people sprites, but I have yet to convert them. For the maps, you can use PokeModr to view the maps that I'll be making for my port of the game for map data and each tilemap. I don't know how long it will take for me to get there though...
Are you perchance the one working on the 86 port that looks so nice? Or am I perhaps mistaken? Anywho, yes, the tiles would help a bunch. Standard .bmp will do fine, I don't need a special format. I'm going to do all of the conversion myself, and will be doing the map designing using a program I wrote. Basically I just need a big picture of what the map looks like with and without NPCs. The tiles will help a lot though, as they'll stop me from having to rip the myself. Thanks!

Oh yeah! If anyone wants to send me stuff, (like those tiles) send them to my actual e-mail address, located at thegamefreak0134@yahoo.com . Give it some subject that includes the word "Pokemon" so I know what it is. Thanks!

-thegamefreak

tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

He is working on an 89 port. :)

Tiles aren't too important to me, but the mini-Pokemon pics would be cool...
http://tifreakware.net - Connecting TI communities
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

Sorry, but I don't have the .bmp files...I only have the data itself. You can, however, use my Sprite Manipulator to convert it from the C short (word) data style to ASM (be it bytes or words).