Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

which are?
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

Well...Missing No. and ####'M#### are both fillers to 255 and were probably forgotten about before the final release (they also probably didn't expect the glitch that allows it to happen). You'd probably also want an empty data slot so you know when not to show a Pokemon in a list (be it PC or in the list).
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

you could add an extra pokemon..."necro: ground ghost type, atacks: Mega Punch, guitine, toxin, flame thrower... "
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

Actually, Water/Dragon and Flying/Steel are about as good as it gets type-wise in RBY/GSC. All of their weaknesses nearly cancel out so that it is darn near impossible to actually damage them faster than they are the enemy. Of course, the well-built Normal types are very good (Chansey, Snorlax, Persian (but only by RBY rules), and maybe one more...). If you would want to make a new Pokemon (as an easter egg of course), make it something that can take over the Psychic dominance in the game.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Wow. I shouldn't be away for so long. The data I gave was an example of all the stuff I collected. I do intend to collect the extra info mentioned. I do intend to compress using all due methods. My point was to show that the data itself really isn't that much at this point.

Also, I do intend to include Mew and Missingno. However, as I do not have the official info for either, I am not including them in my estimates.

For now, I'm working on getting a greyscale routine up and running. I want to use ducks routine as it seems by far the easiest to use. In fact, I sent him a message asking for more detailed info. Once I have the greyscale going, I should be able to get a working world map and battle system up without too m uch extra trouble.

I actually don't intend to add too much by the way of extra stuff. Trust me, getting just the base game up and running through pewter will be hard enough to do without the extras. However, I might release a version after I'm through that allows you to edit the game...
BTW Does one Pokemon version (i.e. Blue) hold all the 155 pokemon?
No. Red and blue are both missing 11 pokemon. You have to trade with at least two other carts to collect all 150. Remember of course that there are other things in the game in which you have to chose a pokemon, leaving the others behind. Cooperative play is the best way to collect everything. My versions will be no different. However, one limitation will be that you cannot trade a Red Version with a Blue Version that is on the same calc. You will have to do a save file transfer for this to work. I also intend to put some kind of protection on there so you cannot copy save files. However, getting this to work will be a royal pain, so for all of the beta releases it will be left out.
And ####M##### makes 153.
Actually, in all of the different views, both Missingno. and ####M#### are pokemon No. 000. Also, I only intend to include Missingno. Get over it. :lol:

-thegamefreak0134
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Hello All. Been a short while. I have a long list of things that I need to do just for the project in general. I've been trying to get a greyscale routine up and running to start the actual coding, but untill then my main focus is on data collection. I have a long list of just things in general that I need for the project. If I posted this list in the programming help section, would y'all be willing to help me get some of it?

Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Currently Jim e's revolutionaryGreyScalePackage(c) is faster then Duck's one. I got it up and running and just made a 16x16 tilemap routine for it. I am gonna use your beautiful tiles as an example I think, I'll post a screenshot.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

one of the agravainting things about...well...every pokemon in existance is the fact you have to know some one else how has the game and is willing and able to trade the pokemon you want. What would be NICE is if you had a item that would alow people to "complete" the game without having to be a social butterfly. IOW, if you do that than there will be many will absolutely NO way to do it...perhps after catching a certain number of pokemon a special challange area can be found that would alow you to trade with your self after its completion.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

The limitation I was talking about between the Red and Blue versions is simply because one calc can't normally be running two apps at a time. Thus, I am considering making a companion program (a regular old program, not an app) that can initiate a trade between the two APPs, if they both exist. Actually battling between the two versions will unfortunately remain impossible on one calc. However, this will allow people with about 40 extra hours of time to collect everything. (I say 40 hours cause thats about how many it takes for one person to end up with three Eevee.)

Suprisingly, I am actually considering Jim e's greyscale package at the moment. Due to our wonderful school finter however, I have been since un-able to come anywhere near the file. Can someone possibly send me the latest release of the package? (and the extras and stuff?) My e-mail is thegamefreak0134@yahoo.com . This would be greatly appreciated.

-gamefreak

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Any reason why you have to do this at school?
Image Image Image
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Maybe he doesnt have internet at home?
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

One of the cool things about Jim e's demo is that it includes a grayscale tilemap of pallet town. That was a huge program actually... You are gonna need some major compression on the maps.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Wait a second... Is that the demo that had that map, the two pictures, and an 18 second clip from DBZ in 8-layer greyscale? If so, I already have it. I had no idea that was his demo. In that case, I definately need the package. And yes, I have to do it at school. I have no freedom elsewhere.

I liked that particular demo, but what I did not like was that it seemed to be limited to scrolling by 8. If I do mine properly, I'll probably have it scroll by only 1 or 2 every frame, so it looks a lot smoother like the original game. This will be easier than it sounds since only the main character and NPCs have to be masked.

BTW, I never got an answer about the list of stuff. (see about 2-3 posts back.) It's a nice long list!

-thegamefreak0134

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Yes, that's his demo. It's a great demo.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Looking at ticalc.org, I noticed this pokemon program. It appears to have pretty good graphics, but no grayscale. Also, it's not finished, it is just a little demo made with x-lib. Look at the screenshots:
ImageImageImage

I wonder how fast it runs. :?

Sorry to get off topic, but does anyone know how Jim made the 18 second clip from DBZ in 8-layer greyscale? Is there any relatively easy/quick way to convert a short video clip or animated gif to calc? Even in black and white? :puzzled:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image