Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I think you are making alot of progress rather quickly. Keep it up!
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Yes, I am using an emu. Don't worry, I own the originals. Anywho, I could send you a save file for leaf green on the emu. Better, if you have a GameShark for the GBA, I think you can send the save file directly to the game-pack. I am unsure of how to do this however.

I should have the somplete file done by the end of the week, depending on a number of different factors.

As for other progress, I've taken a look at the amount of data I need for this project, and it's a bit overwhelming. I'm at risk of filling up one page with just move names, pokemon names, and basic move info. I'm looking into compression routines at the moment, but untill toward the end of the project when I implement them you can expect even the demos to be pretty huge.

I'm working on my effect list at the moment, and am about to begin coding a make-shift battle system in BASIC. I need to do this basically to see how I will need to code my effects, so I can continue on them. I'm also considering making a group "special" effect, which will cut my effect categories down to around 30. The hardest part will be getting the system to recognize what the effects are doing, especially for such things as dig, fly, and solarbeam that do different things on different turns. This part will be the most difficult to do, so with me luck.

On other notes, I am still having leveling up issues. I understand the formulas and all, but I don't understand the values. How are DVs and stat expirience affected by battle? If someone could answer me that, or possibly show me an example, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the comments on the screenshots. The good news here is that the sizes and positions are official. No pokemon picture is too big for the space I've given it. Biggest problem here is going to be memory to hold it all.

-thegamefreak0134

PS: Considering that the first post I made here basically started the project, how long would it normally take for me to have a working demo of something / an actual screenshot? How am I doing in that regard?
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Kevin wrote:awesome project now I can see tifreak8x's falling apart :twisted:

j/k both are nice, as well as mathstuf :mrgreen:
I'm gonna smack you... :twisted: :P

@thegamefreak:

You get a demo out when you can, just make sure it doesn't stay a demo... :)
http://tifreakware.net - Connecting TI communities
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

You get a demo out when you can, just make sure it doesn't stay a demo...
If I recall correctly, your project is just a demo, so ...

Hey, at least you have working code at this point. I have a nice little app that scrolls through pkmn names!..... However, I am going to go this week and write some code to pull up move datat that I've entered. Then, I should be able to get a base battle system handling the power and accuracy and stuff of moves only. Don't expect too much at this point, this is my first venture into real asm programming.

-thegamefreak0134[/quote]

EDIT: Stupit question... Where do you Get Magmar in Fire Red and Leaf Green? It's in the pokemon mansion in the original red and blue versions, but it's apparently not there in these. Help...

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

It is on "One Island" in LeafGreen only.
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:
You get a demo out when you can, just make sure it doesn't stay a demo...
If I recall correctly, your project is just a demo, so ...

Hey, at least you have working code at this point. I have a nice little app that scrolls through pkmn names!..... However, I am going to go this week and write some code to pull up move datat that I've entered. Then, I should be able to get a base battle system handling the power and accuracy and stuff of moves only. Don't expect too much at this point, this is my first venture into real asm programming.

-thegamefreak0134

EDIT: Stupit question... Where do you Get Magmar in Fire Red and Leaf Green? It's in the pokemon mansion in the original red and blue versions, but it's apparently not there in these. Help...
lol, yes, I have a demo out, but I also have a done quite a bit to it since the release, though I still have tons more to do. I am waiting on one other program, so I can finish the intro, and start adding NPCs. Right now, I am adding rooms to the buildings, and addings signs.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I have finally done it. After countless hours of playing, I have in my box on fire red 1 of every species of pokemon from 1-150. (No mew yet.) Suprisingly, I did all of this through normal gameplay, with quire religious use of the speed-up button. Now, I should be able to finish converting all of my pics to greyscale. I hope to hae them posted in a moment. Also, for anyone interested, check out my pic request in the Pixel Art section.

I'm having asm errors at the moment, which is why I haven't been able to have progress updates on this for a while. I hope to have something playable out soon however.

-thegamefreak0134

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Wow, that has got to be a major accomplishment for pokemon on the calcs. Keep up the great work!
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Asm errors are a sad fact of life. They are well worth it though. I assume that you multiplied the Master Ball a bunch too :D. And you can configure TISHOT or CalcCapture or something to take screenshots of GB emus. Kevin did it for his Minish Cap April Fool's joke. Then you can just import the screenshot into CalcGS. All is done automatically, and you barely have to do anything. :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well i can see that the sprite data is going to be pretty large. 150 16x16 gs sprites would occupy 9.6KB. Not to mention the other gfx data you will need. Perhaps later on down the track you could look at some compression techniques ... you might end up having to cut down the total number of pokemon, i dont think that would be such a big deal.
Last edited by tr1p1ea on Tue 07 Feb, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Bah, blasphemy! Is that really tr1p1ea? The tr1p I remember wouldn't cut out the number of pokemon and make so many spelling mistakes ;).
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Haha, I think just using a compression tech. would do fine.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Sprite data compression isnt exactly the easiest thing in the world you know ... Just offering a warning, i dont see whats so wrong about that.

There is a difference between spelling mistakes and typo's:).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Sounds good. :) I can't wait to see how your game will play. :)
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I absolutely DO NOT intend to cut anything out of the game. If anything, I will sacrifice graphics quality to keep things in the game. Like I said, I need this to be accurate, and that includes keeping all of the original data there.

Yes, I do intend to look into compression routines in the future. For now, I'm focusing on learning my asm basics.

BTW, 50% of these pics are already converted to gs by hand. I'll keep up the way I've been going. Thanks for the offer though!

-gamefreak