MtSQuest - Rebuild

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

MtSQuest - Rebuild

Post by VahnRPG »

Alright. While I'm having a lil difficulty working on my comic, and since I'm not really in the mood to make a completely new game from scratch (ala Blue World - Quest), I figure I should clean up a game that gets a lot of "I r teh liek ur gaem" comments, but I don't feel like it deserves that praise. So, I'm going to try and clean it up to make it worth said praise.

So, this is what I need. ACTUAL feedback on the game. What you liked, what you didn't like, what you would've liked if it was reworked a slight amount, that kind of stuff. Not "It's a good game" kind of stuff, because while it IS appreciated, it's not very helpful :/

Things I can't/won't do: link play, color, Doom/Wolfenstein-3d, isometrics, Zelda-style play.

Examples of what I'm talking about: "the maps are too small" "the game isn't long enough" "not enough secrets" "story is weak" "map/battle graphics need work"

Okay? ^^'
Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate it!
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I would really like to see the walking engine used on blue world-quest into the re wright. I will play it again soon so I can offer more comments, until then good luck !
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

yeah, that'll be in one of the 'gradual upgrades'. after i do a bit of optimization, i'll start adding and changing and modifying stuff and gradually Blue World - Quest will be released as I'd intended ^^
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

Blue World - Coming soon
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Glad you've come back. Never played any of your games before, but sounds good. What comic?
Image Image Image
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

site: www.superkidinc.com

Nice to see that blueworld is going to be released. Will the battle system be upgraded with the combo linking and such/
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

Should be. Here's a list of ideas that I was going to gradually work into the thing, in no real order:
-Optimize MtSQuest - True
-Make more involved maps that you can actually explore, rather than just a straight path from one side of the screen to the next
-Add linking combos (requires me to get rid of some of the other ones. no big deal here. Never liked the whole 'super arts' system anyway :/)
-Plop in the new smooth-scrolling 16x16tile map system (requires me to make completely new maps and storyline and such)
-Scrap the old Arts moves for ones that fit in line with the new storyline and such
-Add extras

But, while I'm in this "optimize" mode (step 1), I figure I might as well add stuff people might like to see or modify things in it that people didn't like or didn't think worked well. Thus the call for all you loyal fans for (preferably helpful) input ^_^

Blue World - Coming soon
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Make it smooth scrolling and make the tiles strech at the bottom of the screen and compress at the top. That'd make it psuedo 3d. Hell, that sounds cool, maybe I will do that!

But scrolling would be good, and definitely a bunch more battle moves. And maybe backgrounds in the battles. But I do like the game.
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

threefingeredguy wrote:Make it smooth scrolling and make the tiles strech at the bottom of the screen and compress at the top. That'd make it psuedo 3d.
Smooth scrolling-fine, 3d-no :P
threefingeredguy wrote:But scrolling would be good, and definitely a bunch more battle moves. And maybe backgrounds in the battles. But I do like the game.
Dunno how 'bunch more' i'll be able to do. Backgrounds is a no cuz of masks and stuff and the game is already fairly large as it is (one of the biggest complaints about it is its size >.>)

Blue World - Coming soon
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I think that smooth scrolling would be awesome, if you need help with maps or so let me know.
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

well, I appreciate it, but the problem i'm having with the maps is that i'm lazy. that and the way i do them is the tiles are broken up into 8x8 pieces, so i can do tiles 'offscreen' (rather, off the map) and what i really need to do is make my own map maker. i've got one, but i need to edit it so that it doesn't just do 1 8x8 section at a time. i've found other makers, but most of 'em couldn't do what i wanted them to do anyway so it was just a bust :/

Blue World - Coming soon
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

If you release a level maker I would help making some levels for you.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Well, the battle engines of your games are always cool and different. What I thought needed the most work was overworld sprites. They were kind of final fantasy legend 1-ish if you know what I mean. :P And like tfg said, backgrounds in the battles would be good too. Maybe, since you don't need much speed for this game, you could make it in greyscale too. :D
bananas... o.o
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Spengo wrote:Well, the battle engines of your games are always cool and different. What I thought needed the most work was overworld sprites. They were kind of final fantasy legend 1-ish if you know what I mean. :P And like tfg said, backgrounds in the battles would be good too. Maybe, since you don't need much speed for this game, you could make it in greyscale too. :D
Or at least the background images could be GS in battles.
Or or scrollable backgrounds like Mortal Combat.
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

dammit, i said no backgrounds and no greyscale. it's not a matter of speed, it's a matter of size. Calc space doesn't come from no where. It's built in. And I only have access to a regular 83+, so I can't make big honkin games. It'd be nice, but no. Seriously.
As for the overworld stuff, that's a work in progress. I'm still not sure if I'm going to be doing any kind of sprites beyond the player's doing any kind of movement, so the NPCs might end up as tiles or something. Most of the size of the game is thanks to the battle system. It has lotsa big sprites (150 or so is the count from MtSQuest - True) that take up lotsa big space. Compression is nice but you need some place to decompress TO since you can't just add it to the code like a normal z80 program, so it has to go in the ram, meaning even more space. Not to mention that I'd still probably need the flash pages for the sprites anyway, so we're not talking that big a saver. Probably be an even bigger spender.
Hell, I'm not even sure how I'm going to do the story when the final version comes around. I might end up back to the problem I was having in the first place: either release multiple 5+ page apps and have people bitch to me about that, or use up the entire flash space for the 1 program and have people bitch to me about that as well. It's very frustrating...

So, please, if I nix a suggestion, trust me, it's nixed for a reason (which I'll try to explain should I deem it necessary though I didn't really think this one would be as such) and it should just be left alone ;_;

Blue World - Coming soon
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

havin tons of fun optimizing this code. Finding delicious pieces of well written code such as:

Code: Select all

ld a,11
ld b,a
and

Code: Select all

MoveMap:
ld a,(Map)
cp 1
jp z,Move1
cp 2
jp z,Move2
cp 3
jp z,Move3
cp 4
jp z,Move4
cp 5
jp z,Move5
cp 6
jp z,Move6
cp 7
jp z,Move7
cp 9
jp z,Move9
cp 10
jp z,Move10
cp 11
jp z,Move11
cp 14
jp z,Move14
cp 15
jp z,Move15
cp 16
jp z,Move16
cp 17
jp z,Move17
cp 18
jp z,Move18
cp 19
jp z,Move19
cp 20
jp z,Move20
cp 21
jp z,Move21
cp 22
jp z,Move22
cp 23
jp z,Move23
cp 24
jp z,Move24
cp 25
jp z,Move25
cp 26
jp z,Move26
cp 27
jp z,Move27
cp 28
jp z,Move28

Move23:
ld a,(XPos)
cp 6
jp z,MoveScreen2223
or a
jp z,MoveScreen2423
Move24:
ld a,(XPos)
cp 11
jp z,MoveScreen2324
cp 5
jp z,MoveScreen2524
Move25:
ld a,(XPos)
cp 5
jp z,MoveScreen2425
cp 6
jp z,MoveScreen2625
Move26:
ld a,(YPos)
cp 3
jp z,Move26Left
cp 6
jp z,MoveScreen2526
ld a,(XPos)
cp 5
jp z,Move26Up
cp 6
jp z,Move26Down
cp 11
jp z,Move26Right
Move27:
ld a,(XPos)
cp 11
jp z,MoveScreen2827
Move28:
ld a,(XPos)
or a
jp z,MoveScreen2728
cp 11
jp z,MoveScreen2928

MoveScreen2726:
ld a,27
ld (Map),a
ld a,12
ld (MapX),a
ld a,40
ld (MapY),a
ld a,1
ld (XPos),a
ld a,3
ld (YPos),a
jp PlayGame
MoveScreen2728:
ld a,27
ld (Map),a
ld a,12
ld (MapX),a
ld a,40
ld (MapY),a
ld a,10
ld (XPos),a
ld a,4
ld (YPos),a
jp PlayGame
MoveScreen2827:
ld a,28
ld (Map),a
ld a,24
ld (MapX),a
ld a,40
ld (MapY),a
ld a,1
ld (XPos),a
ld a,4
ld (YPos),a
jp PlayGame
now you know my dirty secret of why i am not exactly proud of this game... ¬_¬

anyway, I'm fairly certain I have cleaned up all the maps and put the texts and junk back in. I haven't played my original version in a long while, so I'm fairly certain I have everything done the same way. If you're feeling adventurous, you can check it out here: http://www.superkidinc.com/downloads/MtSQv106.zip
The save files are different from the last version so I'm afraid you'll have to start over. I've also gotten rid of the external enemies thing. I never liked them anyway, they never really showed up in the actual game, and no one ever took the time to make any of their own, so I got rid of it. Rather happy about it too ^_^ But, other than that, I don't think there's any changes. Let me know if you find something broken or any other bugs, please! ^_^
Last edited by VahnRPG on Sun 08 Jan, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue World - Coming soon