Windows Vista topic crashes UTI

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Brazucs

Windows Vista topic crashes UTI

Post by Brazucs »

...and I mean that as a compliment.

Can you believe it: 593 people at once! Even my sig got overbandwidthed...
http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=4113&st=0

necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

very cool looking...to bad it won't be stable (it is windows)
Brazucs

Post by Brazucs »

I'm running it right now. It's pretty stable.

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

necro wrote:very cool looking...to bad it won't be stable (it is windows)
Windows 2000 and Windows XP have always been rock-solid for me. The only problems I have had is with buggy applications, and unfortunately I am yet to see an OS that magically stops applications from being buggy. ;)
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Did you find about Vista just now? I knew when it was Longhorn. I had an alpha copy :D
Necro, I assume you've tried Vista?
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

I attended a lecture by a Microsoft representative about .NET programming and Vista, and coming thursday there's another one on security, error trapping, the new GUI and file indexing in Vista. It's all pretty cool stuff, but I still haven't seen anything that's a fundamental improvement over WinXP...
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

All the new features are just things Mac OS X had.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Timendus wrote:... but I still haven't seen anything that's a fundamental improvement over WinXP...
Hardware accelerated GUI? As 3fg mentioned, that's something Windows has had to catch up a lot with! It's more than looking pretty, if you offload the GUI tasks to the GPU rather than hogging the CPU then that's a pretty decent improvement.
Some of the major Vista features have been delayed/removed in any case - The oh-so-sexy Monad is available seperately in any case, and WinFS is getting further and further away.
The improvements to Explorer are pretty decent - the breadcrumbed address bar looks good, and the more document-centric browsing/media handling looks great.
Brazucs

Post by Brazucs »

currahee wrote:Did you find about Vista just now? I knew when it was Longhorn. I had an alpha copy :D
Necro, I assume you've tried Vista?
I tried M7, but didn't like it and thought I'd wait until it was a lil' further along.

There are LOTS of improvements over XP: anti-spyware, libraries, IE7, WMP11, media center, lots more administrative options, etc...
Last edited by Brazucs on Mon 19 Dec, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I ran the beta in VMWare, unfortunately I haven't figured out how to get VMWare to support 3d acceleration (beyond like 8 mb) with my card (Rosewill GeForce FX 5500 256mb) so I can't access the pretty mode.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

benryves wrote:
Timendus wrote:... but I still haven't seen anything that's a fundamental improvement over WinXP...
Hardware accelerated GUI? As 3fg mentioned, that's something Windows has had to catch up a lot with! It's more than looking pretty, if you offload the GUI tasks to the GPU rather than hogging the CPU then that's a pretty decent improvement.
That's true, but on my laptop for instance, with it's crappy SiS integrated video card (and a Pentium IV CPU) I really don't think that's going to be an improvement :) I mean; it's pretty relative how much this will improve things. And besides, they should've added this (as an option) 5 years ago if you ask me.
Some of the major Vista features have been delayed/removed in any case - The oh-so-sexy Monad is available seperately in any case
Oh, nice, more power to the scriptkiddies... :(
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

THat's what I don't like, the 3D requirements is too high. For those with a crappy gfx card, its gonna look the same as XP so that's why I don't feel all that pro-Vista.
See, in my case I have a Mobility Radeon X600 right? But it only has 64MB of Video memory, and it eats up 64MB more from the system. The high tier requires over 200MB of video memory whicih means the Intel GMA 900 can run it perfectly while mine can't just because the Intel has more video memory than I do.
And that is complete bull.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Timendus wrote:That's true, but on my laptop for instance, with it's crappy SiS integrated video card (and a Pentium IV CPU) I really don't think that's going to be an improvement :) I mean; it's pretty relative how much this will improve things. And besides, they should've added this (as an option) 5 years ago if you ask me.
Agreed. There will be a graceful fallback to a Luna-like, but that doesn't help you much.
Oh, nice, more power to the scriptkiddies... :(
Monad does have security options, and by default will not run any scripts at all, if that is your concern. I've set mine to the second-lowest, which still prompts if I try to run a script downloaded from Outlook/MSN/IE, much like running EXEs does under Windows XP.
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

how would you dl Windows Vista bta 5270?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

gangsta wrote:how would you dl Windows Vista bta 5270?
You can't, not yet. There is no public beta. Unless you have a MSDN subsription, of course -- but for the rest of us, we'll have to wait until they release the public beta. Hopefully, like VS2005, you'll be able to order a free DVD from MS after registration.