$#^% Asm libraries

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Time to close this thread? The material in here burns better than old synthetic couch stuffing and we all know nobody wants that around.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

calcul831415 wrote:I believe the end goal of computer programming these days is to decrease production time. This means utilizing what other people have already made.
* Thinks API * :mrgreen:;)
coelurus wrote:The material in here burns better than old synthetic couch stuffing
Just waiting for someone sitting on it to drop a cigarette :P
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

As long as the discussion is fair and doesn't get to personal I won't close the topic
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

kalan_vod wrote:
currahee wrote:
coelurus wrote:A n00b sharing his impulsive thoughts about development, literally.

I disagree with one thing; Basic is _never_ fine for games :lol:
You can't be serious about that, well unless if you're mentioning pure basic games then I guess you could be right there.
Even then a pure basic game can be good, have you tried Contra 83? Thats a really good pure basic game.
Hence, could since it's kind of rare to have a good basic game these days.
I never liked Contra (NES) that much, so I can't say that the Contra 83 version is good.

Yeah i'm a uber noob when it comes to side scrollers. Especially the ones where you die when you get hit once.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

currahee wrote:
kalan_vod wrote:
currahee wrote: You can't be serious about that, well unless if you're mentioning pure basic games then I guess you could be right there.
Even then a pure basic game can be good, have you tried Contra 83? Thats a really good pure basic game.
I never liked Contra (NES) that much, so I can't say that the Contra 83 version is good.

Yeah i'm a uber noob when it comes to side scrollers. Especially the ones where you die when you get hit once.
It's just it was an extremly good game for pure basic and pretty fast.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

I'm also against mixing languages. When you use a lib, you could as well write the trunk of the program in assembly, since that's the easiest part. Hopefully this well-advertised API will help some people make the transition. :P Regarding Basic, we've seen that programs can be made surprisingly efficient, it just takes a lot of discovery and imagination. To be honest, I'm sure mastering Basic is much harder than assembly, because the language is more complicated both in vocabulary and in semantics (especially side effects that waste time and memory). Consequently, the smallest homogenous group of programmers you can name is probably those who really know the ins and outs of TI-Basic. I advise everyone to check out DarkerLine's work and words on the topic.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

kalan_vod wrote:
currahee wrote:
kalan_vod wrote: Even then a pure basic game can be good, have you tried Contra 83? Thats a really good pure basic game.

It's just it was an extremly good game for pure basic and pretty fast.
Oh I was referring to Contra NES, not 83.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

CoBB wrote:I'm also against mixing languages. When you use a lib, you could as well write the trunk of the program in assembly, since that's the easiest part. Hopefully this well-advertised API will help some people make the transition. :P Regarding Basic, we've seen that programs can be made surprisingly efficient, it just takes a lot of discovery and imagination. To be honest, I'm sure mastering Basic is much harder than assembly, because the language is more complicated both in vocabulary and in semantics (especially side effects that waste time and memory). Consequently, the smallest homogenous group of programmers you can name is probably those who really know the ins and outs of TI-Basic. I advise everyone to check out DarkerLine's work and words on the topic.
Yeah darkerline is really good and so is weregoose on UTI.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

It seems people don't hate ASM libs... Need to pull myself together and start working on EBL again... XLib rocks too. n00bs expressing themselves... They'll never learn...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

the_unknown_one wrote:It seems people don't hate ASM libs... Need to pull myself together and start working on EBL again... XLib rocks too. n00bs expressing themselves... They'll never learn...
Well it is a great lib for basic programmers and I plan to learn more asm then I do atm. I hope you venture off into the forest with dysfunction on the xlib thing, meaning I hope you get help by dysfunction as he is doing some amazing things with it :D.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

the_unknown_one wrote:It seems people don't hate ASM libs... Need to pull myself together and start working on EBL again... XLib rocks too. n00bs expressing themselves... They'll never learn...
Some people never escape the 'n00b' label.....He'll never learn
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

kalan_vod wrote:
Well it is a great lib for basic programmers and I plan to learn more asm then I do atm. I hope you venture off into the forest with dysfunction on the xlib thing, meaning I hope you get help by dysfunction as he is doing some amazing things with it :D.
Thanks a lot, but my real expertise is in general game design, I'm not quite the Basic guru that Kevin, DarkerLine, Bryan Thomas, or yes, even Kerm Martian is. What I guess sets me apart is how much time I spend examining the tricks of sprite-based games and applying them on a platform much more limited than these techniques were originally applied on (I'm talking about masking, parallax scrolling, sprite animations, etc).

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

kalan_vod: Huh? I don't work with XLib. I'm making EBL, which is an other ASM lib (especially designed for optimizing and speeding up).
Kozak: I get it...
dysfunction: You rock!