$#^% Asm libraries

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

FaveRave09

$#^% Asm libraries

Post by FaveRave09 »

How many people use asm libraries to make basic games? For those of you that don't, I salute you. If you're using libraries, you're cheating yourself. I believe that if you program in basic, you better only program in basic. If you want to use asm, that's fine, but you better make the asm yourself. I program in both asm and basic, and I admit it's really hard to produce a basic game that can compare with asm games :x , and that asm is incredibly tough to learn :? , but making a really good basic game can convince others just how smart and able you are. For those of you that disagree, just keep on making your games depending on other people's programs, because every time you make a game like that, you could be making a game twice as good if you learned just a little assembly.
Pure and clean asm, sure.
Pure and clean basic, fine.
But asm and basic mixed just ain't natural.
Welcome to Jamdung, poor people are dead at random, political violence caan done.
-Damian Marley
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

So by this, you bash things like VB.net and Java, which use lower level utilities to make easier code work better.
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Ti-Basic has huge limitatitions, especialy in the game development area. If people want to make their games more appealing via asm libs, I don't have a problem with that. This is like saying the makers of DOOM should have written the game in x86 assembly instead of C. As long as the game is good, who honestly cares how it was made...
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I believe the end goal of computer programming these days is to decrease production time. This means utilizing what other people have already made. Then only bad thing about this is that undetected bugs will slowly compile and compile until you need annoying patches and updates all the time to fix stuff. Fortunately, tr1p1ea does a good job at everything.

The only thing I disagree about this mantra is that size and execution time are things people no longer care about. I think it sometimes is a mistake ot let programs become larger and more RAM hogging than ever. There is a physical limit to RAM size that we could soon reach unless quantum computing is perfected.

I'm no expert but can somebody correct me on any of the above?
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Ok, so let me get this straight. You think people using asm libs. are cheating themselves? So would you say Kevin cheated himself making xxr with xlib? Because if had made it in pure basic, then it wouldn't be playable. And further more why would you say this? Asm libs provide a lot of help to those advanced and those starting out.
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

calcul831415 wrote:There is a physical limit to RAM size that we could soon reach unless quantum computing is perfected.
Quantum computing can't ever really replace classical computing. It allows certain problems, like factoring, to be solved much quicker, but offers no clear advantages over classical transistor computers.

However, quantum computers won't have more RAM, on the contrary, they will store much less information. For example, the largest built so far holds seven bits (which in quantum computing are called qubits -- an on, and off, and a sort of mixture between the two).
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

But aren't they trying to perfect it to the point where you could have just as many bits as current computers, but now they have 3 states instead of just on/off?

I think their biggest problem right now is keeping the qubits at the right temperature to stop them from degenerating. Most of the ones they've built so far only last for split seconds.
Image Image Image
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

I don't agree in any way. I don't have a word to describe your opinion but in my country we would call it 'short sighted'.

I.e. with hooks you can make commands like this PutSprite( in basic. Now what's the difference between that and a Line( command?\

People using hybrid are smart. You can save time on ASM and it's more powerfull then ordinary BASIC.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

A n00b sharing his impulsive thoughts about development, literally.

I disagree with one thing; Basic is _never_ fine for games :lol:
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

exactly...
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

coelurus wrote:A n00b sharing his impulsive thoughts about development, literally.

Thanks for sharing your own impulsive thoughts about development.

I prefer developing for pure Basic if I can help it, because in that case my code turns out to be compatible with any calculator (much like nostub assembly is compatible with anything, but MirageOS assembly can't be run without MirageOS). I don't have a problem with anyone using assembly libraries.
xLIB has not, in my opinion, become as widespread as MirageOS is. If it does, limiting yourself would become as silly as deciding to stop using strings.

I do think that a self-contained game made up of only one prgm variable is more aesthetically pleasing than a game that requires an APP and several PicX variables in order to run. That's never going to change. However, xLIB just might make up for it in the advantages it gives to a programmer.
just try to be nice to people.

Post by Liazon »

I like ION cuz it has awesome libraries. Why shouldn't i use what's there?
Image Image Image
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

coelurus wrote:A n00b sharing his impulsive thoughts about development, literally.

You can't be serious about that, well unless if you're mentioning pure basic games then I guess you could be right there.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

currahee wrote:

You can't be serious about that, well unless if you're mentioning pure basic games then I guess you could be right there.
Even then a pure basic game can be good, have you tried Contra 83? Thats a really good pure basic game.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

What the heck?! If you want to limit yourself by not using any help, suit yourself, but have some respect man!

I salute everyone who makes great games, whether it is in pure basic, any-lib basic or ASM! Because the power of making games lies not in the programming, but in the design. Programming is just typing words to make the calc do something. Designing a game makes the difference!