What is the definition of a good calc game?

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

What is most important to you in a calc game? check 3

graphics/sprites
21%
level greyscale
3%
Execution Speed
23%
Size
8%
Gameplay complexity
12%
controls
9%
storyline
12%
complexity of game
8%
other (mention in post)
6%

Total votes: 78

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Is the archive like a mini harddrive?

Well maybe I should start trying to get Crunchy distributed around my school to prevent people from blaming my games for problems. It's on Ticalc.org, I assume?

Could we please get back on topic (even though I was probably the one who got off topic)??
Image Image Image
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

fun, fast, and good looking
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

lecks wrote:fun, fast, and good looking
Is this to describe me? :D
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

off topic again after 1 post.. wow
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

kalan_vod wrote:First off, Desolate isn't slow you just need to find the right setting :x
... that will run at a decent speed but will give you a headache.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Desolate runs good enough.

1. Story Story Story!
2. Gfx (doesn't have to be anything spectacularly good, I found Alex Highsmith's FF1 game fun)
3. Nit-free (No bugs! nothing is more frustrating to have a game not run because someone forgot that it's 4 -> X instead of X -> 4.
4. Has to make sense (Ex. Windows 2000 clone. What's the deal with having the first word repeated?)
5. Apples to Windows clones: They must crash. Otherwise it ain't a true Windoze clone
6. Bonus Cookie points for creativity
7. Don't name something after a real game unless it's going to be something like the real thing. People will expect too much from a game if it's named after a well reputable game only to find that it's poorly programmed.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

to tell the truth, actually all of these components are like pieces of a puzzle. when you put them together, they make a whole, complete, good image. thats the same for games. you cant just pick out one of those things and trash the rest. if you're looking to make a good game, or are judging an already made game, you should use these "pieces" to judge how good the game is. i suggest making a game with all of these in unity and also suggest a new rating system in which we use:

1. graphics (level grayscale and sprites all fit into this)
2. speed
3. size
4. gameplay complexity (controls fit into this one)
5. storyline (complexity of game fits into this)
6. originality
7. fun
8. flawless (no bugs)

how fun is playing a puzzle with missing pieces?
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

For the @$$hole, very fun because he or she would enjoy the frustration of another
For the intellectual, it's a quite stupid act since it's pointless to do in the first place
For the average, not so fun.

I disagree with speed though, most games already responsive enough with the exception of complex games like LoZ from Kevin, but it's only a minor delay with the 15MHz CPU.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

i meant like loading times and such. some games are meant to be slow and i know that, but i mean like a game when you have to walk you go like 1 space a second, that could be better, like smooth scrolling. thats what i meant by speed.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

By the way, what are considered good graphics for a calc game?

For lack of my own 83+, I've never seen many calc games. Heck, I haven't even seen the graphics capabilities of my own 89-Ti!
Image Image Image
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

calcul831415 wrote:By the way, what are considered good graphics for a calc game?

For lack of my own 83+, I've never seen many calc games. Heck, I haven't even seen the graphics capabilities of my own 89-Ti!
Well the graphics for Lotus Turbo Challenge, the 3d racing game were amazing. Not only did it have a neat 3d effect, it had nice backgrounds, objects on the sides of the road, tunnels, weather(snow, rain, lightning), and even nighttime racing.

Gemeni, a 3d first person shooter, also had amazing, fast, graphics. In addition to the neat wall textures, detailed enemies, and sliding doors, each weapon had a neat, detailed reloading animation that you could see each time your gun ran out of shots. Also, there were multiple guns you could use.
In the 2d world, Acelgoyobis was amazing, expecially graphics wise. The detailed pinball boards, and cool flaming menu screen were great.
Image Image Image
Desolate's the best grayscale game out that I've played. It's nice seeing more shades than black and white, and the gameplay doesn't disappoint.
Image Image
xlib xlib revolution has amazing graphics and fast speed for a basic game.
Image Image
The screenshots for the new zelda game are amazing looking. Also, the screen shots for metroid are just so good. Now all we need to do is get Joe back to working on it. :)

And, check out this: Image

Just hope fate by fire doesn't dissapear, and we could be playing in an entire game world full of those graphics.
Last edited by CompWiz on Wed 04 Jan, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

So better graphics generally means shorter game (when it comes to RPGs at least.)

*looks at pitiful 3 level greyscale attempts and crys
Image Image Image
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

whats that last game?
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

CompWiz wrote:Just hope fate by fire doesn't dissapear, and we could be playing in an entire game world full of those graphics.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

oooo.. i cant find it anywhere. last ive heard of it was in 2003