language

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

threefingeredguy wrote:While he copied and pasted everything and didn't understand at all how it worked, its a much better way to learn assembly than by suddenly dunking the first time ASMer into *complex* ideas and theories.
Maybe, but in that case his tutorial is just pure redundancy. You could as well download a source directory from ticalc and start reading.

Back then when I was making the first steps in programming, the only option was to write code, since there wasn't much available for reading (at least I didn't have the means to get to the source). I had nothing but references, the rest I learned by experimentation.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

You also left out the part where you are a damn genius :). Its not like anyone in your early circumstances would have turned out to be so uber!
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Look who's talking! :P
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

2 ASM demi-gods arguing "You're a genius" "YOU'RE a genius". Heh, CoBB not many people have written their own devpac, emulator, and won POTY (which you won right?). Tr1p1ea, you made DESOLATE for your first game. 'Nuff said.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

threefingeredguy wrote:2 ASM demi-gods arguing "You're a genius" "YOU'RE a genius". Heh, CoBB not many people have written their own devpac, emulator, and won POTY (which you won right?). Tr1p1ea, you made DESOLATE for your first game. 'Nuff said.
Yeah CoBB won POTY, and don't forget that tr1p also made xLIB, which is the best basic tool EVER!
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Yeah but: Desolate. 'Nuff said.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

If you spend some years programming, you'll realise that none of these require extraordinary effort. Just picking from the more or less regular visitors of this very forum I could name a handful of people who could easily do anything I've done so far. On these grounds I refuse all the accusations of being a genius.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Capable yes, willing no. Motivation is a talent in itself.

So really you say you aren't a genius, what's your IQ? Let's put this to rest once and for all.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

I'll tell mine once CoBB tells his. Mine's up there, but I know people with higher.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

CoBB wrote:If you spend some years programming, you'll realise that none of these require extraordinary effort. Just picking from the more or less regular visitors of this very forum I could name a handful of people who could easily do anything I've done so far. On these grounds I refuse all the accusations of being a genius.
Well, you seem to forget that a lot of the people who post here are calc geniuses. Saying that they can do what you did doesn't prove you're not a calc genius. :mrgreen:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Good point.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Jim e wrote:Capable yes, willing no. Motivation is a talent in itself.
Motivation? Acelgoyobis was a 3-day coding feat I managed to accomplish in about 15 months. PTI is very similar in this respect, it's being cooked at a very low temperature. If I were really motivated, I would have a portfolio of a dozen killer games at least...
Jim e wrote:So really you say you aren't a genius, what's your IQ? Let's put this to rest once and for all.
I've never taken a proper IQ test, so I don't know. I don't think it's of any importance at all.
CompWiz wrote:Well, you seem to forget that a lot of the people who post here are calc geniuses. Saying that they can do what you did doesn't prove you're not a calc genius.
Well, if everyone is a genius, that renders the word meaningless. I don't like words being thrown around for no good reason. I prefer bug reports and good ideas, especially the latter, over all the praise directed at my person. Constructivity before all.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

if CoBB doesn't like being called a calc genius, then we don't need to call him that. modesty is a good thing anyways.
Image Image Image
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Well, if everyone is a genius, that renders the word meaningless. I don't like words being thrown around for no good reason. I prefer bug reports and good ideas, especially the latter, over all the praise directed at my person. Constructivity before all.
So you have no hubris in you at all, completely humble......well aren't you perfect. :P

Motivation? Acelgoyobis was a 3-day coding feat I managed to accomplish in about 15 months. PTI is very similar in this respect, it's being cooked at a very low temperature. If I were really motivated, I would have a portfolio of a dozen killer games at least...
Yeah sure true typeing down and testing only adds up to maybe a day or two. But the actual thought process is what counts. The brain needs rest, get new ideas, you don't want to over exert it.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

I wrote a working SSP in a day, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm still not done.