language

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

pimpim

language

Post by pimpim »

Hi, what language do you write the games in? And also, where can I find a good manual how to learn this language?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Either TI-BASIC using the on-calculator editor (use your calculator manual for help) or Z80 assembly (using tools on your PC to compile).
To learn Z80 assembly, I'd suggest CoBB's excellent guides that you can download from his profile here: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/au ... /5237.html
However, (unless I'm very much mistaken) they only cover the Z80 assembly language and not how it applies directly to the calculator - in which case, I've heard good things about Sigma's "Learn TI-83 Plus Assembly In 28 Days" http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/au ... /7088.html
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

And for TI BASIC, if your calculator didn't come with the "thick" manual, download it here from the guidebook page.
"If SOURCE is outlawed, only outlaws will have SOURCE."
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

For ASM, I recommend that you DO NOT read ASM in 28 Days, but that you read AsmGuru and IonGuru, both of which come in "Andy's Assembly Studio" on www.ticalc.org.
Stickmanofdoom

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

I feel just the opposite of threefingeredguy, you should read ASM in 28 days. Everything else that I read was a good compliment to it. ASM in 28 days is a very solid starting point for ASM, and there was little else that wasn't covered in it. However, some important points were just glazed over and other points were explicated more than the beginner would find useful. Just find what works for you.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

well after listening to what everyone has advised me to do, and really becoming a JOKE of a PROGRAMMER at THIS forum, i'm just trying to learn ASM rite now by reading all three tutorials

COBB's
ASMin28
ASMGuru

IonGuru for Ion

I might say that understanding of Basic would be helpful, but it was only recently that i learned the true power of BASIC.
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

I don't think you are a joke, its just that you posted code without testing it. That revealed some very elementary mistakes. There is nothing strange or indecent about not knowing ASM. Plus, I can tell you are smart. When I explained about how sprite routines work, you caught on much quicker than I did at first.

@Stickmanofdoom, ASM in 28 is a nice tutorial, but it goes too deeply into things that a newbie should not learn until later. Like the stack. Very important to understand, but nowhere NEAR necessary for a newbie to learn. In fact, newbish use of the stack is probably the main cause of errors.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

I'm not really satisfied with any asm tutorial. The way I learned was by looking at others source, modifing them for personal learning and grasping the logic. Tutorials just tell you how to do this how to do that, you don't learn why things work as well as figureing it out for yourself.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

I learned more complicated stuff from Dan e, FloppusMaximus, and Aquanight. Jim e has given me code before as well. Plus I think stickmanofdoom gave me a snippet too.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

threefingeredguy wrote:For ASM, I recommend that you DO NOT read ASM in 28 Days, but that you read AsmGuru...
I think you've got that backwards - unless you really do like tutorials in which the author admits to not understanding the pages of code he copy-pastes into the document :roll:
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Jim e wrote:I'm not really satisfied with any asm tutorial. The way I learned was by looking at others source, modifing them for personal learning and grasping the logic. Tutorials just tell you how to do this how to do that, you don't learn why things work as well as figureing it out for yourself.
After reading a tutorial it's of course only the basics... the real learning process starts as soon as you get programming :)
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

benryves wrote:unless you really do like tutorials in which the author admits to not understanding the pages of code he copy-pastes into the document :roll:
I did :) It was fun to read all that and try to make sense of everything.

Besides, there wasn't anything better back then :(
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
threefingeredguy
Calc King

benryves wrote:
threefingeredguy wrote:For ASM, I recommend that you DO NOT read ASM in 28 Days, but that you read AsmGuru...
I think you've got that backwards - unless you really do like tutorials in which the author admits to not understanding the pages of code he copy-pastes into the document :roll:
While he copied and pasted everything and didn't understand at all how it worked, its a much better way to learn assembly than by suddenly dunking the first time ASMer into *complex* ideas and theories. I understood nothing that 28 days said until this summer, and I started learning ASM in December. The only reason I understood it is that experimentations with AsmGuru programs helped me to understand the logic the processor uses.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I learned by using EZAsm with my previous programming skills and comparing the code to connect the logic in asm, then I went from there.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Hm, that does sound like a good way to do it.