Calculator Programming Convention?

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Well, anytime a company make a non-profit donation, they'll receive a sizeble tax incentive at the end of the next fiscal year. What this amount is, I'm not certain, but it's definately enough to make most stand up and take notice. Sort of a "one hand washes the other" scenereo.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Then it most definitely should be a one place event. Not only would it prevent the possibility for like only 15 people showing up at a regional location but it would significantly reduce the amount of $$$ needed to host the event.
I'll try and not be biased but how about Kansas City, Missouri? It's literally in the center of the U.S. and airfare would be cheap enough. If not we could go to Ohio or something like that. Just as long as it's a place where airfair would virtually be the same for everyone. Or somewhere cheap for Kevin 8)
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Wait wait... didn't we start the topic saying the whole thing was ridiculous, suddenly we're all like 'let's do it here, no here!' :?
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

It still kind of is, with like 300 nerds in a convention room who will spearhead the thing? What will we talk about?
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

The thing is it has a school supported event. If it was just kerm, it would never go beyond cyberspace. If highschoolers could get the math teachers behind the idea, the chances would go up significantly. Then get nation wide clubs in on it, then TI themselves I say it could work. Dallas sounds like a good first one since TI HQ is so close, presentation would be easier, contest, tour and what not.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Why don't we see if Ticalc.org will post the frappr as news, as well as the possibility of the convention. Then we will have a much larger group of people who could come to the convention, or find someone to sponsor it. Also, would probably increase local conventions to well over 15 people. I bet there are a lot of people who would come to a calc convention if they knew about it.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Then what should it be about? Game development? New ways to solve pi?
Will we have booths? :lol: maybe that's over kill. It should be like those corporate demonstrations where... ya you get the idea.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

That's what I was thinking of. See, this is what I like, when I come up with ideas that I'm not necessarily able to bring to fruition on my own, and other people jump on the bandwagon. Oh, and I frappered myself.
Image Image Image
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Then it gets down to booths of what? Mainly what is this going to be about? Calculators? What about calculators? Programming? Will we show stuff we've been working on?

We already know progresses of projects just by using the itnernet.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

1. Project demos
2. Classes (thought up by kirb aka mathstuf)
3. Keynote presentation - maybe someone from TI?
4. etc
Image Image Image
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Meeting the community
Meeting the engineers
Meet old ti coderz that have left the scene.
TI presentations
Educational presentation
College planing
Career planing
career oppurtunities
Scouts

Giveaways
Scholarships
uhh....Play video games

I'm sure more could be thought up.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I think that a lot of people, myself included, would be interested in a class about assembly programming. Reading a guide is only so good. Asking an expert questions and learning from what they know is a much better way to learn.

Perhaps at the convention people could also look for other people they could work together with on a project.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Interesting... assembly class :D
BTW How long will the event be you think? I'd give it 3 days to 5.

BTW my apologies- i thought this was like a stupid idea at first. But now that I think about it I think this will definitely give the boost the fading community needs
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Jim e wrote:Meeting the community
Meeting the engineers
Meet old ti coderz that have left the scene.
TI presentations
Educational presentation
College planing
Career planing
career oppurtunities
Scouts

Giveaways
Scholarships
uhh....Play video games

I'm sure more could be thought up.
How about playing DDR in the arcade? ^_^.
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

Have a giant screen to project a TI calculator on, at which point we can play phoenix on it.

Maybe someone should make lots of good 2-player games before this convention.
just try to be nice to people.