Calculator Programming Convention?

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

now that u mention company tour, i think i'm willing to travel to Dallas, or where ever in Texas.

Still I'd prefer not to travel to far out of state just for a convention to meet other programmers. At least New England is full of prgmers.
Image Image Image
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Would their be job oppurtunities there. Like plans for a future career, That'd get me off my butt and headed to dallas.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Plano, not Dallas.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

threefingeredguy wrote:Plano, not Dallas.
I agree as it would be cheapest on hosting.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Eh, our school is called UT Dallas even though it's in Richardson, so I don't split hairs anymore. 8) I've gotta be honest though, it's hard not to do these things on a weekday.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

A little off topic, but I might have mentioned before to some people that I'm trying to start a club to teach Ti-Programming to students at my high school.
Here's progress so far:

I have 3 possible members and each of them has a different calculator:
Ti-83+, Ti-82, Ti-89 Titanium (And I myself have a Ti-86, possibly getting a Ti-84+SE for B-day) I need at least 6 other people.

I need to get an advisor/teacher for the club. I need to get the principle's permission as well.

If all goes well, that's another 9 ppl in the Ti-Community from MA. Hopefully we will raise enough money to go to a Ti-Convention. (or maybe school will chip in some $$ :roll: )

I wonder what I should teach first? My plan is to get across basic concepts of BASIC programming without teaching them bad habits such as nested if-then-goto loops. Since they all have different calcs, it may become an issue.

Fortunately, Basic and ASM are really similar on all Ti-Calcs rite?

I'll update as things progress.
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

It is a little diff. on the 89,82,83+,and 86 :P. HAVE FUN! :twisted:
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

calcul831415 wrote:A little off topic, but I might have mentioned before to some people that I'm trying to start a club to teach Ti-Programming to students at my high school.
That's pretty cool. You can probably get your name out by doing some kind of school-themed project. I think Justin Karneges used classmate names for the characters in Joltima. The teachers are really impressed by that kind of thing.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I am teaching my friend Jon assembly. He knows BASIC already, and I've already taught him those bad habits and how to avoid them, but we've been sidetracked because I was working on my Comp Sci project while teaching him and he liked it so much, he decided to learn Java. We're sort of alternating lessons.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

@calcul831415: You live in MA? Where in MA? I'm from Northampton (bit north of Springfield).

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Westborough, it's a town near Worcester. It borders Northborough, Grafton, Ashland, Upton, Hopkington, and Southborough I think.

I'm on the Ti-Community Frapper

edit:

Hey, if money for a trip is a problem then perhaps we could get funds from our schools. I was thinking maybe at the Convention there'd be some sort of team Programming Competition. Like teams of 5 are given 1 hour to make a program that does something the best. Then we have judges (preferably TI engineers or pplz) award prizes to who did the nicest job. I think if we told schools we were going to a programming competition, they'd be more willing to put some money into a trip.

I duno, just a thought because some of my friends go to Java programming competitions all the time, and the school pays for that.
Image Image Image