my ti 84 os has problems

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

lecks
Extreme Poster

my ti 84 os has problems

Post by lecks »

on calcgames.org, on the front page it says that the o.s. 2.30 checks for discontinuities... but on my calc (o.s. 2.30) it still continues the graph.. here check out what he wrote:
Apparantly TI isn't very good about making changelogs, because they never told us anything about the new goodies in TI-OS 2.30 for the 84+. According to these threads on the Detached Solutions forum, while OS 2.30 graphs functions considerably slower than OS 2.22, or other 8x calculators for that matter, it DOES check the graphs to see if there are any discontinuities, and shows them properly. This means, for example, that y1=1/(x-1) will NOT connect both parts of the graph! Even y2=1000rand-500 doesn't connect the dots, apparantly. If you want more yummy details, I suggest you read both threads. Many thanks to the newbies with legitimate questions (that were worded nicely...) wondering what was up. Their separate questions, when put together, made it click for Benjamin Moody (aka FloppusMaximus). No word yet on whether there's any way to turn this off to get faster graphing, but apparantly it only works for function graphing with lines. You can try animated line+ball graphing or parametric graphing to get rid of the checks and have it go faster.
the web site has images and when i graph it they all come out the same way as on the screen. anybody know why?
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

You mean it looks like the screenshots? That's what it's supposed to do. For future reference, you could have posted this in the news article's discussion area and someone there (*cough* me *cough*) would have responded there.
ImageImage
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

well i dont have an account there and im too lazy to make one...
will NOT connect both parts of the graph
i thought thats what it meant, that it will NOT connect both parts of the graph..
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

So... is it still a problem? Because on mine 1/x removes the asympotes but tanx displays them.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

The way they're talking over on the DS forum, it should never connect the parts of the graph, even if you say graph Symbolic's csc(.
ImageImage
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

I don't see the point, just use Dot mode.
just try to be nice to people.

Post by threefingeredguy »

@DigiTan : lol thats what my teacher said when I told her to update the school calculators with this OS.

@AndySoft: Why does someone need csc? Its just 1/sin.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

That was just an example... The point is the OS doesn't give a rat's ass what the function is... And, csc(x) looks a lot nicer/is much easier to follow than 1/sin(x).
ImageImage