Black Screen of DOOM

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Black Screen of DOOM

Post by avatardelta »

okay i was coming into my math class for some help, and someone came to my teacher with a calculator problem. i heard this and kinda offered my help.

the problem: the screen is black. it's not the contrast, cause i check that.
i have taken the batteries out, including the lithuim back-up, then later that day i put the regular batteries back in, still had a black screen.
don't know what is wrong. just a black screen.
its a 83+
thank you.
p.s. if it can't be fixed the teacher will sned the calculator to texas instruments for a replacement.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Does it turn off immediate after or is it always on and black. Try[ON]+[del] If the homescreen doesn't come back or the waiting for flash then doesn't either, your teacher should send it back.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Funky LCD/ OS? If it's not the contrast and you did a hardcore reset... then the problem might be with the hardware more than the software.

Can you at least link the calculator correctly?
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

contrast and batterys are software? hmm never knew.
does the calc communicate with a computer?
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

contrast and batterys are software? hmm never knew.
Was that a bad attempt at a sarcastic insult :?

You might be on to something with the whole 'link with comp' thing. Does TI-Connect recognize a calculator on the other end?
Try leaving out the batteries for a whole day, you seemed to implicate it was just an hour or two.
Also, try re-installing the OS. As a last measure though.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

What was it doing before all this happened? Running any ASM progs?
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

ASM should not screw up a calculator that bad. Unless if it somehow went and changed the bootcode or OS so that it makes it impossible to replace a damaged OS.

These calcs really need a BIOS...
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

maybe someone put the blue lcd program and used it with the start up app and that way when he turned it on again it turned black/blue and if u remove batteries then it will still stay like that.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

They do, pressing delete and maybe some other keys while removing (or replacing) a battery restores the OS because its stored on the ROM chip and can't be overwritten.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

on+delete
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

threefingeredguy wrote:They do, pressing delete and maybe some other keys while removing (or replacing) a battery restores the OS because its stored on the ROM chip and can't be overwritten.
I should makemyself clear: A computer grade-bios. Like press F1 for sys options
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Aha. Indeed, but that would require several things. You do know the calc doesnt shut off right? It powers down the lcd then "halt"s until an interrupt from the linkport or On key revives it. Maybe a bios after a ram clear.

Post by avatardelta »

lots of answers!
lol
well it is a different students' calculator. i don't know what she was doing before this happened.

i have tried on + delete and taking ALL the batteries out and leaving it for a few days. there is still the balck screen.
i guess i'll just tell her to send it back to TI
thanks.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

yeah if u send it back to ti you get a brand new *not defective* calculator.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

threefingeredguy wrote:Aha. Indeed, but that would require several things. You do know the calc doesnt shut off right? It powers down the lcd then "halt"s until an interrupt from the linkport or On key revives it. Maybe a bios after a ram clear.
Of course! the d@mned thing works just like my PDA. They dont just off- just go on standby.