getting mp3 player.. is this a good choice?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

lecks
Extreme Poster

getting mp3 player.. is this a good choice?

Post by lecks »

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3946368

http://www.creative.com/products/produc ... duct=12720

im not planning on going over $150.00, and it has fm radio, can record songs fom a cd player, digital voice recorder (can also record fm radio), can hold up to 500 songs, uses 1 AAA battery.

is this a good choice? also, i need to find one where i can buy in a store, like say a wal-mart or radioshack etc... i dont like to order from the internet.

please help. if you have an mp3, tell me about yours.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

come on.. somebody say something... stop ignoring me :'(
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

I do believe that the problem is that all of us are too poor to have an mp3 player.

Have patience, it's been only 3 hours.
just try to be nice to people.

Post by mnc2fan »

$65, ebay, 6 gig mp3 player. It uses 4 AA, and runs about 3.5 hours. But it is really nice. You will probably fill up the 1 gb of space on that thing in no time. If your someone like me (3 gb worth of music), but then you may never fill it up to its max.

I say do some more shopping and find something that is better for about that price range. You won't regret it... :P
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6855501124

Archos Gmini XS 100, $150, brand new, 3 gigs, same size as iPod mini, available in blue, black, silver or pink.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

I'm happy with my MP3 CD player, thankyouverymuch. :) Sure, I can only have 700MB worth of songs in it at any time, but it only takes me 10 seconds to change that to another 700MB worth. Lasts a good 40+ hours on 2 AA's as well.
ImageImage
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

AndySoft wrote:I'm happy with my MP3 CD player, thankyouverymuch. :) Sure, I can only have 700MB worth of songs in it at any time, but it only takes me 10 seconds to change that to another 700MB worth. Lasts a good 40+ hours on 2 AA's as well.
Moving parts?
Heh...your living in the past. :lol: :lol: j/k

Actually I agree with you, a mp3 cd player has always been good enough for me. But then again I'm satisfied with 64kbps. :P
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Moving parts?
Ever heard of Flash? And I don't mean the plugin :P. (not you, Jim E, and it's supposed to be sarcasm)

Meh, I broke down and bought the 20gig iPod (the one that used to be iPhoto). Believe me, the resolution on that baby is great. I once took a shot of the uti homepage, took out a section of it about the size of the 'Msg Body' section in 'Post reply' here, and put it on my iPod by accident. I could read the text on it, for crying out loud! Long story short: it rules.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

1... i dont want to order off the internet

2... ipods arent that great considering it takes $80 to replace the battery once it runs out of charges and you have to send it to hp/apple and then wait like a month to have it replaced and mailed back to you... plus its pretty costly in the first place.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

You're right. When you're right you're right. But arithmetic might help you.

Contrarty to what apple says, a charge lasts only 8 hrs for me. Actually, 10+ but I'm using 8 'cuz it's more conservative.
A battery only needs to be replaced after 800+ complete charge cycles. So charging it from 1/2 strength to full one day, and then a week later repeating this means it uses only 1 charge cycle.
If you listen to 2 hours of music per day, actually more, then you need to recharge it only every three days. There are 365 days in a year. Now to the difficult stuff: division :roll:!

365 / 3 = 123. That's 123 charge cycles per year.
800 / 123 = 6.504.

Therefor, your ipod will last you 6 and 1/2 years, with a LOT of use. It's doubtful that you won't have (or want) a better mp3 player that's available in the future by then. Heck, by then you could probably afford a new ipod for the cost of that old battery.

Why do I know all this? Because I was worried about the same thing too. I just used my good ol' noggin. Another note: I rounded in favor of you, used extremely conservative numbers (1/2 of what apples says, for battery life!), and doubled the number of times I charge my iPod (i listen to it alot, and still only charge it once every week). Furthermore, there are several smart tips to prolong battery life.

Oh, and ordering off the internet, trust me I don't think Apples going to rob you. Furthermore, you get a free engraving. And the shipping is FAST! I ordered sunday night, and it arrived wednday evening. As a plus, you can always find obscure sales.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Actually, no. NOT completely depleting the battery before recharging it is not good for the cell. It'll wear out faster or about the same as fully discharging it.
ImageImage
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

i listen to more than 2 hours a day... maybe 4... anyway i spend from 6:30 to 8:00 a.m. every morning on a bus, and after school, 3:00 to 4:00, then walk a mile home after the bus... and it gets boring playing my calculator all the time on the way home. what else can i do to pass that time? hmm.. lemme think... oh i got it! how about listening to music! thats gonna be about 2 hours 30 minutes, plus at school i listen to music anyway during lunch and stuff, plaus im gonna use it to record the stupid teacher lectures, plus its a radio... so.. uh.. ipod's probably not a good choice for me... *ducks and hides*

EDIT i also listen to music at home and stuff....
EDIT ipods need to be replaced every 500
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

lecks wrote:i listen to more than 2 hours a day... maybe 4... anyway i spend from 6:30 to 8:00 a.m. every morning on a bus, and after school, 3:00 to 4:00, then walk a mile home after the bus... and it gets boring playing my calculator all the time on the way home. what else can i do to pass that time? hmm.. lemme think... oh i got it! how about listening to music! thats gonna be about 2 hours 30 minutes, plus at school i listen to music anyway during lunch and stuff, plaus im gonna use it to record the stupid teacher lectures, plus its a radio... so.. uh.. ipod's probably not a good choice for me... *ducks and hides*

EDIT i also listen to music at home and stuff....
EDIT ipods need to be replaced every 500
i have one of those and a ipod, i really like how i use a single AAA baterie,but i love the storage for the ipod.
get the creative for 1gb. i have a 512 and it is fine, if you really need space you can record into wma.....
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

If I get the job that's availible right now, I might eventually get an ipod or something similar..
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

you can buy a replacement ipod battery for like $30 and replace it yourself. It's not that hard.

I'm looking into the ipod nano, but I don't know if I want one. I have a 40gb and a shuffle, and they work great for how / when I listen to music, but the nano is pretty darn cool. I'll have to wait for a while on this one, I think.