The Happy Birthday Thread

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

blueskies
Calc Wizard

The Happy Birthday Thread

Post by blueskies »

Too bad this forum doesn't have any birthday notifications on the main page. I guess we'll have to announce these momentous occasions ourselves. And I will start...

Today, Jan. 9, is my birthday!! I am 21 and finally legal to drink and buy that sweet sweet nectar of life, alcohol. I went to my first bar last night at midnight and drank 'til I couldn't drink anymore (which sadly is only like 4 drinks :oops: ). And next weekend, I'm heading off to Las Vegas!! Wish me luck!
Last edited by blueskies on Sun 09 Jan, 2005 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Hey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY blueskies! :).

Ill make this a sticky :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Happy birthday!

Are they really taking this alcohol age limit seriously out there? In Hungary most places serve 15-year olds (or younger) without asking anything... I remember exactly one occasion when I had to show my ID, but then I was over 18 already. 8)
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

It depends. To get into a club, the basically check everybody's ID. If you go to a store and try to buy, it depends on who is checking you out. For example, I work at a grocery store, and I rarely ask for IDs when people buy alcohol unless it's obvious they're underage. Most times though people show it automatically (sometimes up in to their 30s...). The best is going to a restaurant because it's hard to keep track of who is legal and who isn't, so you can usually get a drink if everyone is ordering.

Funny story, some kid tried to steal 4 bottles of tequila out of our store one time (he hid them in his shirt then ran out the door). One of my managers chased him down the street and tackled him. Luckily the tequila was in plastic bottles (cheap shit), so no alcohol was lost.

I don't understand why it's so strict over here, and why the age limit is higher than anywhere else. But from my experiences, there are ways to get your hands on alcohol as early as high school.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Actually, when I was in Jordan, I could see with my own eyes how a society works with alcohol being banned for most people (but physically available). It's not a bad thing at all.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Is this the first time you can drink alcohol? Only 4 beers or shots isn't that bad. I myself get 'tipsy' after 5 beers. Even though you can say I'm an experienced drinker my body doesn't learn to cope with the alcohol. What can I say, I am a cheap partier :).
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

this was the first time I could legally drink alcohol, and actually buy it myself (though my friends were the ones buying me drinks all night). I think I ended up having 4 beers before we went out, 1 shot of tequilla @ the bar, most of a captain and coke (my fav. drink ever), some of a vodka tonic and all of a vodka cranberry. And I know how you feel Kozak...it's nice to be able to have a good time on just a couple of drinks. Hey, when I go to Europe (maybe this summer), we should go get a beer. :)

CoBB: I think that restrictions are important, especially on alcohol, because you don't want kids getting drunk and hurting themselves or someone else. It's strange that the more important laws, like don't sell to someone who's already drunk, or don't drive if you're over a certain bac (which for most people is still pretty drunk), are inforced less then the age law. It's really sad how drunk you can be and still be 'legally able' to drive.
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

5 beers? Tipsy, but not more then that :)
I think i'm just as experienced as you Kozak. Me and our fellow students go out and drink about 3-4 times a week. Especially on wednesday when we go to our fraternity and drink from 6:00 in the evening to 6:00 at night. In the beginning we do the beers the fastest with maybe a beer every few minutes which slowly declines when time passes, so late in the evening you're drunk enough to forget to order any more :p What do you want with alchool of 35 beers in your body :p
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

so, since my birthday is the only one lately, here's a little update. went out to dinner tonight w/ 10 of my best friends...had too many shots sent my way...and now i'm home posting about it online. wow...they went to my head so fast, and I'm not even sick. being 21 rocks my world....thanks for wishing me 21 everyone.

the list:

1 shot of citron
1 shot of jose cuervo
1 shot of mixed (tasted fruity, but had a lot of alc in it)
1 la mysteria (or something...basically vodka and blue cuacuao)

night everyone...i'll be up for my 8am class tomorrow (hopefully).

note: best bday of my life.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Hahaha good work, glad to see your having fun :).
leofox
Calc Master

Re: The Happy Birthday Thread

Post by leofox »

blueskies wrote:Too bad this forum doesn't have any birthday notifications on the main page. I guess we'll have to announce these momentous occasions ourselves. And I will start...

Today, Jan. 9, is my birthday!! I am 21 and finally legal to drink and buy that sweet sweet nectar of life, alcohol. I went to my first bar last night at midnight and drank 'til I couldn't drink anymore (which sadly is only like 4 drinks :oops: ). And next weekend, I'm heading off to Las Vegas!! Wish me luck!
You have to be 21 to legally buy alcohol???? LOL, in Dutchland you can buy beer and stuff when you're 16, stronger boose when you're 18! :lol:
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

yeah... though you can drink here when you are 16, and drink 'heavy' acohol when you are around 18, I am not much of a drinker... sometimes a Smirnof Ice is nice... but beer is just iew
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Beer is good because its cheap! :).
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

tr1p1ea wrote:Beer is good because its cheap! :).
well, there's a place i sometimes go to where the beer is €2,20 per glass. It's bad beer too: Dommels, in a plastic cup, and that guy there doesn't know how to tap (is that an english word?). Baaah, Heineken is much better!
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

I am purely a beer drinker, I don't drink 'spirit' very much. Sometimes I drink scotch or brandy or some homebrew russian drink ( :? ). And not every beer tastes good, I have very clear preferances for certain beer: Heineken and Palm. Dommelsch isn't that bad, Grolsch is.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version