I am now a refugee.

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Leumas
Extreme Poster

I am now a refugee.

Post by Leumas »

I am now a refugee. :P
My home has been destroyed and I was forced to leave the area by local mandate.

Last Friday, one week ago, I was in uptown New Orleans registering for my college, Loyola of New Orleans. On Saturday I was told there was a slight possibility that New Orleans could be hit dead-on (slight, but dead-on :? hmmm). My school in reaction to this canceled the first two days of classes and told us to leave. Of course being a stupid freshman, and from the north, I decided not to get out on the first flight (i live 1000 miles a way, literally). So Saturday was the party day from hell as those who stayed, around 150 students, tried to do something as everything closed. Than on Sunday we were woken up and told to leave, NOW. Of course they told us that we would be back in one week. Of course had the leeves not failed that may have been the case. We were evact to Baton Rouge (around an hour drive normally), so it took us 9 hours. We were lucky. I got picked up around tuesday by my family who drove all the way down because the airports were too shaky to trust. After driving straight I just got back to upper Ohio Today.

My school is canceled untill further notice but a minimum of four weeks. Still it could even be longer, so I am in trouble.
My school, for those who don't know( which should be the majority) Loyola is right on St. Charles street along the road from the French Quarters. Its not flooded but looters could become a real concern.

Thats my quick story of how my freshman year at college has turned into a Highschooler's dream, and my nightmare, of course what I went through is nothing compared to what happened to those who are still stuck down there. And I am glad to see none of the stupid optimism that surrounds my town in Ohio that beleives this will be over soon, it will get worse untill thoses leeves and stormwalls are taken care of and hundreds will die before that happens. :cry:
There is no place like 127.0.0.1
kalan_vod
Calc King

Re: I am now a refugee.

Post by kalan_vod »

Leumas wrote:I am now a refugee. :P
My home has been destroyed and I was forced to leave the area by local mandate.

Last Friday, one week ago, I was in uptown New Orleans registering for my college, Loyola of New Orleans. On Saturday I was told there was a slight possibility that New Orleans could be hit dead-on (slight, but dead-on :? hmmm). My school in reaction to this canceled the first two days of classes and told us to leave. Of course being a stupid freshman, and from the north, I decided not to get out on the first flight (i live 1000 miles a way, literally). So Saturday was the party day from hell as those who stayed, around 150 students, tried to do something as everything closed. Than on Sunday we were woken up and told to leave, NOW. Of course they told us that we would be back in one week. Of course had the leeves not failed that may have been the case. We were evact to Baton Rouge (around an hour drive normally), so it took us 9 hours. We were lucky. I got picked up around tuesday by my family who drove all the way down because the airports were too shaky to trust. After driving straight I just got back to upper Ohio Today.

My school is canceled untill further notice but a minimum of four weeks. Still it could even be longer, so I am in trouble.
My school, for those who don't know( which should be the majority) Loyola is right on St. Charles street along the road from the French Quarters. Its not flooded but looters could become a real concern.

Thats my quick story of how my freshman year at college has turned into a Highschooler's dream, and my nightmare, of course what I went through is nothing compared to what happened to those who are still stuck down there. And I am glad to see none of the stupid optimism that surrounds my town in Ohio that beleives this will be over soon, it will get worse untill thoses leeves and stormwalls are taken care of and hundreds will die before that happens. :cry:
very sorry that this has happened to you, but happy that you have made it ok :D .
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

Yes very nice to know that you are ok, since you could have easily been one of the people to be stuck down there, or maybe not of even survied...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I am glad that you are ok Leumas. Does Patori live near you? I hope everyone is ok ...
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Leumas
Extreme Poster

Post by Leumas »

Thanks, to be honest I only posted because of Patori's insistance. This is nothing compared to what they are going through.

As for Patori, he lives half-an-hour away from me up in my town in Ohio.
In fact there is a sleep over tonight to joint celebrate my return and my 18th birthday tomarrow.

Thanks for all the concern.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Glad your okay, and happy birthday tomorrow.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

I'm sorry to hear what's happening over there in the USA... I hate those hurricanes... I hope you'll have an as-happy-as-is-possible-atm birthday :wink:
I really hope Patori's okay... I'd cry if he wasn't...
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Geez I am extremely sorry to hear this. Your story brought the reality of Katrina home to me more than anything else, even though I don't know you that well, you're the first person I know of to have experienced it. I hope everything will be okay and you can go back to school. Good luck man.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Glad your ok. :) Ah...the French Quarters. You're very fortunate your school is located on some of New Orleans highest grounds.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Hey happy birthday Leumas, try to have fun ok?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Leumas
Extreme Poster

Post by Leumas »

I will and thanks
If anyone remembers the LAN party post I did "what is discused at LAN parties" or something like that, all of the people who were at the LAN are at my house Right NOW, (time about Midnight EASTNER US).
POKER AND VIDEO GAMES ALL NIGHT LONG (or untill we crash and watch Anime)
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

Go is fun.... I wasn't in Louisiana guys....
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Phew... I'm so glad you're safe, Patori! :D
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

I need to learn the strategy behind Go. :-\
ImageImage
the_unknown_one
Calc Master