Google Talk

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

blueskies
Calc Wizard

Google Talk

Post by blueskies »

I'm sure you all have heard of GoogleTalk by now, but I just wanted to see what you all thought about it. I think the interface is pretty slick so far, but I haven't been able to use it much yet, because no one I know has it. And I don't have a microphone. So, what do you think?

If you wanna add me, my username is jonathanhirz [cat] gmail [bot] com. :)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: Google Talk

Post by benryves »

blueskies wrote:... but I haven't been able to use it much yet, because no one I know has it.
Exactly. If Google want to win users, they need to integrate MSN/AIM/Yahoo! chat into it or make it do something special, rather than just another protocol.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

I'm drowning in all of these IMs and calling services :P I've never tried Skype or the likes, but they've gone as far as to allow calling through regular phone lines which sounds a lot more useful than another halfarsed IM thingamabob.

I would prefer if some fellars set out to create an open IM to rule them all. The existing ones are pretty crappy (PnP in an IM?! Geez...) or miss a few _good and useful_ features (I like to be able to queue msgs when users are offline).
What about a modular IM where users will have information about what protocols their client supports? This means that some clever guys could develop new tech for, say, vid/aud compression using an existing base without having the IM authors ever interfere and maybe even stall dev. Distribute the plugins and as fast as a user pastes the plugin in 'the plugin dir', the client will register it and will be able to use the new feature(s) with whoever got it(them).

So many fun things to try, so little time...
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Yeah, i found it also strange that gtalk is just a downgrade compared to MSN7, which has much, much, much more functions. A nice addition would be the (good) inclusion of other protocols, just like ben said. I'm not download another im. Maybe joe can talk some sense into them :P
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Well it uses Jabber, so all of you that use Gaim or Trillian Pro can just add it in. Of course, I can't manage to get Trillian Pro to connect for me, so... :-\
ImageImage
GuillaumeH

Re: Google Talk

Post by GuillaumeH »

benryves wrote:
blueskies wrote:... but I haven't been able to use it much yet, because no one I know has it.
Exactly. If Google want to win users, they need to integrate MSN/AIM/Yahoo! chat into it or make it do something special, rather than just another protocol.

But it's not another protocol, it's the same as Jabber, that's nice :) Currently their jabber server is not linked to others, so I hope it will be soon.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

is google trying to rule the world or something? i swear they come out with these things every month now. at least they work.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well at least google arent charging outrageous prices for their stuff, but i do see them becomming extremely massive in the near future :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

tr1p1ea wrote:Well at least google arent charging outrageous prices for their stuff, but i do see them becomming extremely massive in the near future :).
Yes, but will still never get out of beta.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Who does? Seriously, I feel like a beta tester ever since I moved on from DOS.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

They also don't put ads on the client (yet). I could tolerate the stationary ads on AIM, but as soon as they started in with the ads with sound, I dumped that piece of crap forever. I do agree that gTalk won't take off until the add land-line call ability and the other major protocols.
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

calling throught land lines? Dont you need a 56k modem for that :O ?
Life is getting better.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Please tell me you're joking.
ImageImage
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Yeah currently almost everything about Google is in the beta stage. I doubt if it's a smart move to gain so much weight in so little time.

One cool thing is that Google is trying to set up the largest wireless internet network in the US. With it, they can become the largest internet provider (maybe even free or cheap) and finally introduce location based advertising on a large scale. Google is becoming huuuuge.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

threefingeredguy@gmail.com ill be on from now on. :worship: @ adium