Met Author of TI 82/83/84/85/86 Operating System

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

Personally I think a gameboy is used more for gaming than a calculator.
Why would he send a cease and desist letter? I don't think that'll happen ;)
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

the_unknown_one wrote:Why would he send a cease and desist letter? I don't think that'll happen ;)
Perhaps 3fg was very harrassing in his letter. I mean we are talking about the guy who put in the 8k limit. :wink:
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

LOL

1. I doubt he was harassing ;)

2. Perhaps he had a good reason for that... Did anyone ask him why he did that?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

!!! How could i have forgotten about the 8k limit!??! Be sure to ask that one! :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

ASK!!!! :lol:
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I didnt get a cease and desist letter, don't worry. He hasn't written back yet but when he does I will ask him about the 8k limit.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

See, i knew it. That wouldn't happen, of course.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

kv83 wrote:Well, the 83(+) is here in holland mostly used as calculator IIRC.

Here a little invastigation.

Only people between 15 an 19 on HAVO (or higher) have them. Based on numbers of Gemeente Amsterdam about 6% (971.853 people) are in this age in the netherlands in 2004.

Let's say about 25% uses them for games. This makes a roughly 250.000 people.

Now, the DS is reported to be sold about 60.000 times in the first 2 days. In the meantime the DS is around for about 3 months, and I would say that the DS is sold about 250.000 times in the netherlands.

Besides that the DS now has already the same ammount as the TI, there are much more GBA's floating around (who doesn't have one?) and the PSP will launch today in europe.

Based on the restults and assumptions I made, I would defently say that the TI-83(+) is not the most used gamehandhald, nor is it more sold than the GameBoy.

A quick quote of wiki gives me some backup of my statement:
Thousands of games are available for the Game Boy, which can be attributed in part to its sales in the amounts of millions, a well-documented design, and a typically short development cycle.
You are making a mistake here.

First of all I am counting all graphic calculators, no matter what they are used for. So even ti83's that have never been used for gaming.

Second of all. In your accumulation you are forgetting the people that are currently on HBO and WO (graduates) that have bought a calculator in the past. + the university students that bought one even though they weren't in the '2e fase'.

Third of all. Casio is also sold in Holland, and I think it accounts for 10% of all sells.

If only we could get our hands on texas instruments financial records, it would definitely give a conclusion.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Well, if you're counting all graphical calcs, even ones not used for gaming (which, in my opinion, is bad thinking on your part), i still think there are more gaming handhelds sold (all models & brands, because there are a lot more of them than just the Gameboys by Nintendo).
MissingIntellect

Post by MissingIntellect »

threefingeredguy wrote:I didnt get a cease and desist letter, don't worry. He hasn't written back yet but when he does I will ask him about the 8k limit.
Isn't the 8.8k limit quite obvious? :? TI didn't want people pirating commercial applications by turning them into assembly programs. :roll:
--Steve Riekeberg
MaxCoderz Co-Founder, Ex-Staff Member
http://www.missingintellect.net
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

MissingIntellect wrote:
threefingeredguy wrote:I didnt get a cease and desist letter, don't worry. He hasn't written back yet but when he does I will ask him about the 8k limit.
Isn't the 8.8k limit quite obvious? :? TI didn't want people pirating commercial applications by turning them into assembly programs. :roll:
Yes, but such a flismy way to prevent it. And do they really think I would so direly need CellSheet ON MY CALC that I would steal it. And like 8.8k limit would stop anyone, they're just pissing me off.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

MissingIntellect wrote:
First of all, why would anyone want one of the commercial apps? They are badly coded, and they're is a free equivalent made by the community for almost everyone of them.

And second, people could always disassemble the commercial apps and copy them to apps of their own without the protection code. It's not that difficult to make an app anyway.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

the 8k limit probably allowed for 16 byte hexcode written in a basic program and the compiled 8 k asm program. Because we all know 8+16=24 :). That was a safeguard to prevent memory errors while assembling. Then when they made it so you could transfer stuff off your computer to your calc, they didnt bother to remove the limitation. Duh.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

As far as I know, the 83+ is one of the only few Z80 calcs that can do the ASM squishing natively, and it was pretty clear that linking was going to be a feature anyhow... So implementing linking after the squisher seems a little redundant.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Duh.
Well, the great mystery revealed :P. Now, what will future programmers do, with nothing to ponder about?

Nevermind, there's plenty of things to ponder about the TI-OS :roll:.
Last edited by KevinJB on Thu 08 Sep, 2005 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft