The "Everyone should know this" attitude of people

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DJ_O
Calc King

The "Everyone should know this" attitude of people

Post by DJ_O »

You know what piss me off the most about some people? The "Everyone should know this" attidude that they have. I don't know if you know what I mean but let me explain.

Let says for example, someone ask me "Did u watched <insert movie title> yet?", and this <insert movie title> is a movie I never heard about and have no clue what is it. I tell the person "I have never heard about it, what is it about and what kind of movie genre is it?". Then the person goes "OMG you never heard about <inserv movie title>? Everyone should know what is <insert movie title>!!". I remember this happened with a song once, someone asked me if I listened to a xmax song, and it had one heck of a weird name I never heard about, probably because I am not into xmas music much and over here most titles are translated in french or the song doesn't play here, then the person tell me I am not normal! This fucking piss me off!!! Another example is with pink floyd. When I tell people I don't listen to Pink Floyd because it's not my music style, they are like "wow you should listen to pink floyd" or implies I am not normal because I don't listen to pink floyd. Sorry to say people, but not EVERYONE likes the same music genres.

A last example is when I post something I just discovered on a forum in a new topic, and I did a search on the forums beforehand to make sure it wasn't alerady posted. Then the person goes like "wow thats old news, everyone know this". I really hate this. Some people even say this because THEMSELVES know it, they don't even know if everyone else know it.

This is all stuff like this that pisses me off a lot. And I have no clue why people have fun like this making others feel stupid or retarded by doing such things or people who assume that if they know something that everyone else know it. Am I born on the right planet?
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

It annoys me as well, even though I know I do it myself too..
I know that's bad yes.
But on the other hand, if everyone does it except you, you can't get back at them ;)

but hey, driesgudolf is generally nice, and Ben, and Tim, and a lot of other people I'm not all going to name
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

The "OMG you never ..!? Everyone should ..." thing is more an expression of enthusiasm. For example you could say "OMG you never heard of Omnimaga!? Everyone should go there!" Someone likes the subject so much he wants others to relate to it as well so they will have something to enjoy.

Saying something is old news that way without answering someone's question is silly, but people do that. Hating it is really only hurting yourself, and there's no need to do that. First step to dealing with something, if that's even nessecary, is not hating it.

Interestingly my best friends and coolest people I know can disagree on anything in any way without any problems.

If we all like and say the same things life would be boring.
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

hop: Well said. Very very well said.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I hear where you are coming from kevin, but as KH said "It annoys me as well, even though I know I do it myself too.." I am sure you can find the heart to take such useless comments (of theirs, not yours or this post) and ignore, we all have to some times ;).
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

You can just get back at them, say something like "Have you never heard of Omnimaga? OMG!" :mrgreen:
Anyway hop pretty much says it all ;)

I've had the same sort of problems, but not on forums: Have you ever had those anyoning teachers who think what they say is soooooo simple and just don't want to explain because they think everyone should know it? I really hate such teachers. Though on a forum it's easier to laugh with it, I wouldn't try laughing at such teachers :P
King Harold wrote:but hey, driesgudolf is generally nice
Thanks KH :)
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Haha, driesgudolf, I have the exact opposite problem. The teacher is my precalculus class over explains stuff! I mean simple stuff such as factoring even, and we are in a honors class!
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Well I have driesguldolf's kind of teacher for mathematics now.. I don't think anyone understands him..
But I have Halifax' kind of teacher for Imperative Programming, which is really too simple to explain. He's explaining 'if' and 'for' wtf as if they aren't completely logical, and he refuses to explain stack-frames and pointers (maybe he doesn't know about them?).
He has also told us not to worry about the internal workings of a CPU (no stack, no flags, no context switch, no nothing), which is kinda odd seeing as I'm there to study computer science..
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

hop wrote:First step to dealing with something, if that's even nessecary, is not hating it.

Interestingly my best friends and coolest people I know can disagree on anything in any way without any problems.
Well said.